Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM Stereo signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Chad S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FM Stereo signal

Has any one had issues with their FM stations because the antenna is berried in the dash?

Is there a fix for this?
Old 03-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the antenna isn't in the dash, it's in the windsheild (look for the fine black line down the middle of the windsheild, it actually loops around the whole "passenger side" of the windshield, but is easier to see here). This is a powered antenna so if you have an aftermarket stereo the booster might not be getting power, or it may be that the antenna isn't even connected to the stereo. I guess if you got a new windshield at some point it's possible they put a pre-85.5 one on that didn't have the antenna.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:48 PM
scjayhawk
Advanced

I had the same problem in my '87 951. I have an aftermarket stereo and the FM reception was awful. If you dig around in the console behind the stereo you should find a thin black wire that comes out of a wiring harness (as I recall it is in a harness with the big black antenna wire). Anyway, that thin black wire is the power wire for the antenna in the windshield. I connected that thin black wire to the blue "amp turn on" wire coming out of the factory stereo. This blue wire is the one that typically runs from the stereo to an external amplifier and tells the amp to turn on when the stereo is on. The bottom line is that if you connect that thin black wire to the blue wire you should get greatly improved FM reception. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:55 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

same here...make sure the black wire that is tied to the antenna wire is connected to 12vdc...SWITCHED !! the best thing is to connect it to the power antenna wire on your sterio.
Mine was disconnected and I could only get the local FM station and no AM, Now it pulls em all in.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Chad S
Advanced

Thank you so much! This was driving me crazy.

I hope this works, going to try it now.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Chad S
Advanced

IT WORKED!!!!!

Thank you very much, you don't know how much that was driving me nuts. I went to two difrent audio shops and they said they could not help.

You guys are the best.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone know if the 924s with the external antenna has the booster equipment as well? I was getting better reception on my old stereo with the antenna unplugged than when I plugged it in. I assumed it was something in the stereo receiver itself so I replaced the stereo. The new one picks up stations better, but it is a much newer unit...
Old 03-30-2003, 12:20 AM
DAN HARVEY
AutoX

Chad:

Can you give any additional detail to which little black wire it is. Which direction it comes from, with other wires, anything that can help me nail it down? I have looked for that sucker before and mine is a spaghetti mess in there and I coudn't find the wire!

Dan
Old 03-30-2003, 07:37 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Its a small black wire that runs right along side the thick antenna cable.
Chad, this is the best place for info, dont hesitate to use the search function, thats how I found the answer to this very question.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Chad S
Advanced

The thin black wire was taped to the big Black cable the other end had a little connecting end going into another wire. I cut the wire and attached the side that was taped to the big black cable.

Did that make any sense?

I should have taken a picture. If I have time today I will try.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:06 AM
DAN HARVEY
AutoX

Thanks Chad, I think I got it. I am going to focus on finding the thin black wire that is taped to the big black(coax ant) wire and see where that sucker goes, cut it and wire it to my power ant wire. This came up before in a post, I looked and didn't want to rip the stereo out to figure it out. Your information will help me pinpoint w/o much destruction.

Thanks again:
Dan
Old 03-30-2003, 01:20 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My stereo had the same "some FM, no AM" problem, which I fixed in my previous 944. So last week I dug out he little black wire in the anntenna cable, which was not disconnected, but instead had a connentor on the end and was plugged into a mating connector with 2 wires in it. Since I did not get 12V from the 2 wire connector, I thought that's my problem. So I tapped into the 12V power in to the stereo, but my reception is the same, no improvement. Big disappointment. I hooked it up to 12v unswitched. Does it only work on 12V switched?
Old 03-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by JDeitz951:
<strong>My stereo had the same "some FM, no AM" problem, which I fixed in my previous 944. So last week I dug out he little black wire in the anntenna cable, which was not disconnected, but instead had a connentor on the end and was plugged into a mating connector with 2 wires in it. Since I did not get 12V from the 2 wire connector, I thought that's my problem. So I tapped into the 12V power in to the stereo, but my reception is the same, no improvement. Big disappointment. I hooked it up to 12v unswitched. Does it only work on 12V switched?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">It will work on any 12v source, but if it's on 12v unswitched it will drain your battery when your car's not running.

Quick Reply: FM Stereo signal