Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loosely Pivoting Mirror -Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:35 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loosely Pivoting Mirror -Help

Upon drying the water off of my 87' 924S, the mirror broke loose, causing it to loosely pivot along it's base. I've read up on how it may be fixed, but I am
confused about a couple of points on how to detach the mirror.

1. Clark's Garage claims that there should be a hole in the bottom center of the mirror, to slide a flat head screwdriver through to loosen the glass. The hole on mine isn't in the center, and isn't nearly big enough to slip a flat head through.
2. I read in a thread on here that a 4mm Allen wrench can be used to detach the bolt, seen at the base of the mirror in the second picture. But mine doesn't have a socket in it at all, rather it is completely flat on top.

So how do I get this sucker off?
Attached Images   
Old 12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is one alen head bolt that needs to be removed. Thats it, but the power wires are another story..
Old 12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Tilt the mirror back from the top to gain access to loosen the glass from the bottom.

2. There is a rubber/plastic cover over the bolt head that's still in place in your second picture

Unfortunately, the above is the easy part. The reattach it you'll need to pull the interior door panel so that you can disconnect the wires. There's a thread somewhere on here that shows how to fabricate a tool to reattach the spring loaded, hollow bolt that actually attaches the flag to the base. If you happen to have a large (don't remember the size) 12 point 'cheesehead' bit you can use that instead. This is a common issue, a search for 'loose mirror' will turn up lots of detail.

HTH

EDIT: Here's the link I was thinking of, this is for replacing flag mirrors with 968 mirrors but it shows how it goes to together and shows how to fabricate the tool.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:14 PM
hamlin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is easy. Take an allen head wrench and insert in the mirror BASE. Unscrew and remove mirror base from the door. Under the base should be the large hollow bolt that screws into the mirror housing. It should be captured by the wires running thru it. Re-attach base to door.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:45 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Originally Posted by hamlin
This is easy. Take an allen head wrench and insert in the mirror BASE. Unscrew and remove mirror base from the door. Under the base should be the large hollow bolt that screws into the mirror housing. It should be captured by the wires running thru it. Re-attach base to door.
I see the large hollow bolt through which the wires are running through. But how do I re-attach or screw it into the mirror?

Picture as seen below...

http://host.jwcinc.net/801002/troick...4650992_0.jpeg
Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to very carefully wrap the "flag" part of the mirror in a towel, then gently put the assembly into a vise upside down. Then you will be looking into the route the wires take to the flag. There should be a large hollow bolt and a big *** spring. Put the spring then the bolt through the base and into the flag.
Get a large, biggest head you can find, flat head screw driver. Push HARD on the bolt to compress the spring, and start tightening the bolt. That will put the mirror assembly back together.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
sTyleR
Racer

Default Bringing this thread back to life.

Originally Posted by PeteL
Get a large, biggest head you can find, flat head screw driver. Push HARD on the bolt to compress the spring, and start tightening the bolt. That will put the mirror assembly back together.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
I tried that a few months ago with no success. I would compress the spring, and start tightening the bolt, but it would never grab and hold in place. Does this mean I need a new mirror?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:00 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

On my passenger side mirror the threads had stripped where the bolt needed to thread into. I think (going from memory, I may have the wrong piece) it was the small piece that attaches to the flag itself and to the base. I was able to find one on RL from someone parting a car in the right color and it fixed me right up.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Use the GM Weather Pack extraction tool from NAPA (PN 725153) to get all of the wires out and the mirror off of the car.

eric

Quick Reply: Loosely Pivoting Mirror -Help