Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An 88 951S goes off to the crusher or could be yours

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009 | 09:58 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thought the board might find this interesting - don't mean this to reflect poorly on the OP (Justin) as he was only helpful but......

I contacted Robert who owns the car willing to pay the full 4k asking price. I asked him to send me the pictures that Justin mentioned were available. I indicated that I was very interested in the car at the asking price and if everything checked out I would be up around the holidays to pick the car up.

He sent me the pictures pretty quickly. I replied that the car was looking like what I expected and asked for three additional pictures before we firmed everything up. Robert replied that he was too busy and had already spent too much time on the car.

Needless to say with that attitude my interest in the car waned pretty quicky. IMHO just another houty touty 911 shop owner that thinks 944s are (cruder word for poop) and the folks that drive them are a waste of time. At least that is how he made me feel.
Old 12-17-2009 | 10:01 AM
carlege
Drifting

Yeah, 3 extra pictures are really a bother? Either way dosent make a buyer want the car
Old 12-17-2009 | 10:40 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
Thought the board might find this interesting - don't mean this to reflect poorly on the OP (Justin) as he was only helpful but......

I contacted Robert who owns the car willing to pay the full 4k asking price. I asked him to send me the pictures that Justin mentioned were available. I indicated that I was very interested in the car at the asking price and if everything checked out I would be up around the holidays to pick the car up.

He sent me the pictures pretty quickly. I replied that the car was looking like what I expected and asked for three additional pictures before we firmed everything up. Robert replied that he was too busy and had already spent too much time on the car.

Needless to say with that attitude my interest in the car waned pretty quicky. IMHO just another houty touty 911 shop owner that thinks 944s are (cruder word for poop) and the folks that drive them are a waste of time. At least that is how he made me feel.
I informed Josh of Robert's situation and I also offered to do my best to get him the addl. pics which I have not been able to do yet. I will try today. I believe Josh wanted pics of the engine (it is there where it should be), the nose of the car (there too), and the trunk to see the spare, pump and tools. I am sorry if Josh is upset that he didn't pics that he wanted right away.

Josh
You don't get 3 pics, and you are no longer interested in the car? IMO, that means you are not serious. If you are serious spend then time to look at it in person and don't bust Robert's chops because he doesn't have time to send more pics.
Sending pics does take time. Once a shop spends time on something not related to generating income, that time is gone as well as the $$$ that time would have generated. Look at how many well known shops have closed there doors in the last 3 yrs. Time management is important. He has been working 14hr days trying to get customers cars done before the Holiday. 3 pics doesn't sound like a lot but multiply that by 30 and then add about 50 phone calls of at least 30min each then you will understand why dealing with picture collectors and tire kickers can become frustrating. I am NOT implying you are one of those people, but we have had the regulars that want to trade some crap for it, those that have offered $1500 and those that have taken it up themselves to be the experts on 944 Turbo pricing and said the car isn't worth $500 even though they never had any intention of buying it.

BTW, Robert has many customers with 924,944,951,968,928 that don't feel like it is a "houty touty" 911 shop.

All this, to help out a friend.

The bottom line is: this is a cheap Turbo S.
Old 12-17-2009 | 11:36 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply Justin. I understand you are just trying to help the guy out but the way he is handling the situation is sort of backfiring on you. If I were you this would be the last time I lent him a hand in this fashion at least

I live in Atlanta, GA and the car is in Richmond, VA. 450 miles and about 7 hours driving time between the two places. I understand that is my problem and not Roberts but I can't just stop by to check the car out. If he prefers local buyers who can inspect the car in person I understand that - just would have been nice to know before I wasted my time inquiring about it

Buying a car long distance involves trust and confidence in the seller. I am sure the engine and front nose and spare/pump/tools are there. The fact that Robert isn't interested in taking the time to get three easy pics for an interested buyer who stated up front he would pay the 4k is a bad sign to me. I am trusting that the car is not actually two cars welded together or a giant fire hazard with fuel or oil leaks or someone did not borrow the LSD unit out of the tranny. I have no interest in buying a car from someone who considers the whole process of selling it to be a giant pain in the neck and a waste of time. If he can't do the transaction right and treat a buyer (customer - heck maybe even a future shop customer) with common courtesy than IMHO he shouldn't even offer it for sale. Trade it in or take it to the junk yard. Low ball offers are part of the process - just say no thanks or better yet - here is an idea. Don't say 4k obo up front - say 4k firm.

Again - I don't live in that area so my assumptions about what sort of shop Robert runs are just based on how he treated me. After reading some of the customer testimonials on his website it looks like a lot of folks are very satisfied with his services and some of them are 944 owners.

Bottom line IMHO is this is a fairly priced 944 turbo S. I am sure you've owned a Porsche long enough to know that you either pay up front on the purchase price or right after that at the shop. If this was the steal of the year it would already be long gone. Speaking of long gone - isn't this a moot point anyways? The 24 hour "count down" expired yesterday afternoon......

Last edited by Josh B; 12-17-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling fix :) Thanks Justin
Old 12-17-2009 | 12:10 PM
carlege
Drifting

Josh B get a carfax yet?
Old 12-17-2009 | 01:08 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Speaking of long gone - isn't this a mute point anyways? The 24 hour "count down" expired yesterday afternoon......
...and now we'll find out if these junkyards willing to pay $4k do exist...
Old 12-17-2009 | 01:59 PM
luftpirate
Pro

Douche Canoe.....
Old 12-17-2009 | 03:14 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
...and now we'll find out if these junkyards willing to pay $4k do exist...
Originally Posted by luftpirate
Douche Canoe.....
Just yesterday I was asking myself some questions.

I said to myself "self, after 8940 did you really enjoy rennlist at one time?"

Then I wondered to myself if i got more mature, or the board got less mature.

So instead of torturing myself trying to figure that out, i decided to torture someone else too. Since misery loves company, I turned to she who must be obeyed and asked her a question.

I said "hey she who must be obeyed, have i gotten more mature over the last few years?" to which she promptly replied "no way you moerahn"

So then i said to myself "self it looks like its time for a new new years resolution"

To which i ask the board - If someone has an asking price of say $4,000 OBO, does that automatically mean the highest O (the second O) is $4,000, or could it mean $4000 or more? Like ebay with an opening bid of say $4000. If one person bids, the item will sell for $4000 OBO.
Old 12-17-2009 | 03:19 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Bottom line IMHO is this is a fairly priced 944 turbo S. I am sure you've owned a Porsche long enough to know that you either pay up front on the purchase price or right after that at the shop. If this was the steal of the year it would already be long gone. Speaking of long gone - isn't this a mute point anyways? The 24 hour "count down" expired yesterday afternoon......
Josh
22MB of pics sent to your email.

The reason it is still for sale is I asked Robert to hold off on the salvage yard call until I can send some more pics to interested parties.

We have one offer of $3500 and another of $3750 from to salvage companies that will come and pick it up.

I will vouch for the fact that this is not 2 cars welded together. The trans is the correct LSD unit. It is all original, 2 owner Turbo S with a bunch of records. I am not going to scan, fax or mail all of the records so please do not ask.

I have sent all of the people that have requested more pics 3 zipped files of pics. If there isn't a picture in those files you want, oh well.

Moot and mute do not mean the same thing.
Old 12-17-2009 | 03:26 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

BTW, the whole point in trying to sell this car for our friend was to allow him to avoid all this stuff we have been dealing with.

Douche Canoe. Now that is funny.
Old 12-17-2009 | 03:35 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Justin - got the pics and replied to your email.
Old 12-18-2009 | 12:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

When I get bored of helping people fix cars, talking about alignment set ups and driving techniques ... when i just want some pointless drama I just come here ..
BTW I didn't add anything to the thread either ... some of you guys are just freakin funny...
Old 12-18-2009 | 12:38 AM
CPR
Race Director

...or when the tail dragger board is a bit slow?

Old 12-18-2009 | 12:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I'll offer up myself, tomorrow to check this car out, in person, for any interested party... I live 10-15 MINUTES from Roberts shop, and while I have not had my car there, I have spoken to them on the phone several times and they do seem legit, and always willing to help, as long as it isn't transmission related "last one we took apart sat in our shop in pieces for 6 months waiting for parts"..which I can understand...

anyone wanting more pics, specific pics, or a hands on from a third party, who if I do say so myself is somewhat familiar with the 944/951 family, to verify the VIN or other info feel free to PM me, or e-mail me at johnkoawood@aol.com...

send me a phone number to reach you at and I can call you while at the car... I would buy it for myself, but have no time or patience for another project at this time..
Old 12-18-2009 | 12:53 AM
CPR
Race Director

Joka,
Get me a pic of the radiator bolt #3 (lower), the underside of the torque tube 1.5" rear of the shifter, 1 rear tire lug nut (preferably #5, but any will do, a close up of the carpet fiber under the passenger seat, interior of the glove box, turbo bearings, #1 cylinder wall and #2 crank bearing.

Thank you for your help in these matters.

Quick Reply: An 88 951S goes off to the crusher or could be yours