Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An 88 951S goes off to the crusher or could be yours

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 12:51 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CameronKame
If you're so worried about the car/seller why don't you buy it?

If he will be parting it out I am interested in the engine though
I have already owned 2 951s and am not interested in owning another one. Been there, done that.

He wants the car gone. There are two standing offers by Porsche salvage yards. If it ends up there, you can contact them and they will be happy to sell you the engine.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:54 AM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'd hate to see another 951s get plarted out! Good luck with the sale!
Old 12-12-2009, 02:09 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Justin,
I am about 45 minutes away from that car and have interest. In all seriousness, he has a yard willing to give him $4k for a non-running car? I know quite a few of the local yards from Richmond to Va Beach and none would cough up more than $1500 when I spoke with them today, to try and get a pulse on this thing (and ony one was willing to go that high).

What I am saying is that I have spoken with a few listers in the area who are willing to grab it. But the value, given the work needed, is IMO (which doesn't mean squat) excessive. Is he willing to accept other offers? Or is he firm on his $4k offer from a junkyard?

Thanks for any insight and for the heads up, it is appreciated
Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the membership and revised original post are appreciated. Much more clear now, thank you.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:09 AM
87 944 C
Drifting

damn wish i had the spare cash, trouble's and all
Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
BMWM3PORSCHE944
Racer

Right down the street from me... Wish I had the extra money.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Hotshoe
Instructor

Don't pay any attention to some of the d bags here. All the teenagers that think they are special because the own a Porsche sometimes get a little uppity but they are harmless.

If your friend decides to part it out on his own I'd be interested in the LSD.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Membership ***** at it again.

I like the spirit of the OP's posting...to save a rarer 951.

GLWTS.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Membership ***** at it again.

I like the spirit of the OP's posting...to save a rarer 951.

GLWTS.
I hope someone picks it up! If I were closer I'd snag it but I'm in Texas...

It would be a great track car candidate!

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Justin,
I am about 45 minutes away from that car and have interest. In all seriousness, he has a yard willing to give him $4k for a non-running car? I know quite a few of the local yards from Richmond to Va Beach and none would cough up more than $1500 when I spoke with them today, to try and get a pulse on this thing (and ony one was willing to go that high).

What I am saying is that I have spoken with a few listers in the area who are willing to grab it. But the value, given the work needed, is IMO (which doesn't mean squat) excessive. Is he willing to accept other offers? Or is he firm on his $4k offer from a junkyard?

Thanks for any insight and for the heads up, it is appreciated

THIS IS A RUNNING, DRIVING CAR. It was driven to the shop and it is moved in and out of the shop everyday under its own power. The owner was driving it daily until his recent health battles.

If you think the asking price is too much money, trying to negotiate a price with me on a forum is a waste of time:

1. The car is NOT mine.
2. 2 salvage yards are ready to pick it up for the $4k.
3.This car is the least of the owners worries. He wants a trouble free transaction. That is why I volunteered to throw it up on the boards (and receive a lot of abuse in the process. I knew it would happen).
4. If you think it is too much money, don't bitch about the price and don't buy it.
5. I am just the messenger. I am trying to help out a sick friend and save a Turbo S. Save the criticism for someone else that cares.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

I personally don't think 4k is "too much" for this car. It's a lot of car for little money.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marcquito
I personally don't think 4k is "too much" for this car. It's a lot of car for little money.
+1. Sounds like a deal for someone up to doing the clutch job.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I agree, and don't understand why some folks on here are giving the OP a rash over his posting a car that is for sale, at the shop of a friend, for said friends customer.

IF one were to buy this car, it is indeed a lot of car for a small price.. and COULD be brought back to proper order relatively easily, or one of the people B-M-Cing could buy it, and we could all sit back and watch it descend into a true basket case only to be unloaded for $1500 as a non-running car.

I MAY take a look at it on Monday, and could buy it, or could pass (I have a few too many projects and not enough time)..

It WOULD be a shame for a decent example of a true silver rose 88 S to go off to the scrapper, but that is a matter of oppinion...

IF I see the car on Monday, I will post pictures / option codes / my oppinion as to the over all condition...

guys, give the OP a break, he has been getting a rash of crap over this car, and you guys are only demonstrating why other members of the P-car community don't want to come within a million miles of our cars or forums...
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
carlege
Drifting

If the problems are as stated in the ad then it wouldnt be too much for the car. But as we all know these cars have a tendancy of hiding problems from owners and buyers.

regardless of rarity of the car. Desireability is a bigger problem with these cars considering the 89 year and its exact specs with out mentioning the interior or exterior color
Old 12-12-2009, 01:35 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by sprbxr
THIS IS A RUNNING, DRIVING CAR. It was driven to the shop and it is moved in and out of the shop everyday under its own power. The owner was driving it daily until his recent health battles.

If you think the asking price is too much money, trying to negotiate a price with me on a forum is a waste of time:

1. The car is NOT mine.
2. 2 salvage yards are ready to pick it up for the $4k.
3.This car is the least of the owners worries. He wants a trouble free transaction. That is why I volunteered to throw it up on the boards (and receive a lot of abuse in the process. I knew it would happen).
4. If you think it is too much money, don't bitch about the price and don't buy it.
5. I am just the messenger. I am trying to help out a sick friend and save a Turbo S. Save the criticism for someone else that cares.
hmmm...wrong side of the bed this morning I see

Good luck then, and hope your friend's health improves.

Quick Reply: An 88 951S goes off to the crusher or could be yours