Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 CS wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>
The wheel is very nice, but the offset hub is slightly annoying.</strong><hr></blockquote>Not sure what you mean by offset hub. My wheel seems centered over the hub. Maybe it's a late versus early car thing?
Old 08-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Tom Pultz:
<strong>Not sure what you mean by offset hub. My wheel seems centered over the hub. Maybe it's a late versus early car thing?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The wheel is centered over the hub, but the female spline on the hub is actually lower than the centerline of the steering wheel. If you remember from when you installed the steering wheel, the steering shaft is in the center of the surrounding plastic trim. If you feel the hub and compare it to the plastic trim, you will see that the hub is higher than the plastic surround. When you turn the steering wheel, the wheel will actually lower slightly. It is not very noticeable unless you are looking for it or perhaps when you let your hands slide through the wheel after a sharp parking lot maneuver.

I am surprised I haven't heard this mentioned before. Of course, if the steering wheel wasn't raised, it would be difficult to read the tachometer in the upper rev ranges.

If this is not the case for your steering wheel, then Porsche must have changed the design of the hub for the 968cs wheel at some time.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:55 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Steve Lavigne:
<strong>

If you feel the hub and compare it to the plastic trim, you will see that the hub is higher than the plastic surround.</strong><hr></blockquote>Not on my car. This is the difference between the early cars and cars with airbags. The airbag cars have the accordian type front cover that extends above the lower edge of the dash. The hole in the plastic cover plate is totally round, just like the hub on the steering wheel. Everything rotates about the center of the hole in the cover plate. You can see this in the one picture on my website.

When I turn my wheel it doesn't lower... it just turns. Maybe mine is different. I've had it for a few years now. [Edit] I checked this out on the way home tonight. My wheel is slightly offset too. Hmmm, I never noticed it before It's not much and you don't feel anything weird when driving. I think it's actually good because if your hands are on the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and drive that way your "upper hand" while turning doesn't have to move quite as far as if it had to go around a perfect circle. Anyway, I like it.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Eric D
Instructor

You can tell if your wheel is offset by measuring from the bottom of the wheel when it is in normal position. Then turn the wheel 180 degrees and measure the top , which is now the bottom of your steering wheel, to the seat. Should be less distance in the latter.

I have momo and it is perfectly round. So it steers real nice and I actually have no trouble seeing the gauges.

Old 08-12-2002, 10:15 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Here is Sean's original & 968cs wheel on his '86 944:

Here is Tom's wheel on his S2:

It looks like Porsche started including an offset hub with the 968cs wheels. My 968cs wheel is like the one in Sean's car. This is rather strange, because it seems like the offset hub on the current 968cs wheel would work rather poorly on a car with a airbag steering shaft.

Quick Reply: 968 CS wheel