Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield wiper motor death

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Dean924s
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this up from the dead.

I took the dead wiper motor from my car apart to see what was the actual death of it and I learned a lot.

1. The drain hole in the center of the area in frount of the dash (between the wiper motor and the blower motor was completely clogged and the drain hole on the driver side(left side of car) was draining poorly. Thus I suspect that this area was flooding and the motor was getting submerged in water and this lead to what I found in the motor.

I first took the cover off the gear area and ti was packed full of rust. Closer inspection found that the large gear that the wipers actually attach to was completely stripped and it is a plastic gear. This is what killed my motor.

I did not stop there in the disassembly.

I then removed the plastic cover from the shaft of the plastic gear (where the wiper arm mount) and tapped the bear out of the housing with the wooden handel from a old hammer so as not to damage the threads.

I then removed the housing for the motor. It just slides off but the magnets will try and fight you. WHen removing this carful to save the two pieces of metal that the screws go into and mark there location in the housing (they are different)

I then removed the plastic screw in plug that is over the worm gear (probably for adding oil / grease) and carefully pried down on the top of the worm gear shaft. This presses the carrier bearing that the shaft rids in out the top housing of the motor. Be carful doing this as the brushes are in the way of the bearing. Just get the bearing free of the housing. Once the shaft and bearing are free you have to pull the brushes back and CARFULLY slide the shaft out. Be carful as the brushes will pop out of there holders. I retained them with some very thin wire. I did not look to see if there is a retaining hole in the housing of the brushes that you could insert a pin into to hold them back.

I found that the bearing on the shaft below the worm gear was also junk in my motor.

If I could get hold of a new plastic gear and a bearing for the main shaft of the motor I could re build this as good as new but I don't think these parts are available.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I having to take off my wiper motor to clean it but can't get to the darn screws on the bottom holding it in. btw are they philips heads, if not, what?

so I tried removing the entire assembly but the one sticking point is the wiper arm on in the middle. The one on the driver's side pops through the hole in the frame just fine but there's another bolt I can't seem to see on the other one. Any ideas how to loosen the wiper in the middle? That's the last thing holding the assembly in.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 AM
JD250
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent.

Quick Reply: windshield wiper motor death