Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009 | 10:31 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Turns out, any car is fun, as long as it's balanced enough to be able to work it around turns with the brakes.
The only thing that kills the fun is understeer. If you have too much of it, there's just some stuff you can't do.
Yes! What's more, slow / lazy cars on track really let you feel as though you're driving something you just stole. I'm a distinctly sane street driver, but I still drift my Audi around town in the snow for the first half of every winter, and I once wore down the writing on the sidewalls of a friend's Saab wagon showing him the way around my local track. It was an absolute blast, and brake fade is the only thing which is really sure to spoil the fun.
Old 12-07-2009 | 11:14 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

to the original poster...I've got some 15" phone dials that have your name on them for the track. You can have 'em for cheap. They even still have worn yoko es100s on them!

I also have some clubsports with r-comps that I will sell but only after I can find a buyer for the 944.
Old 12-08-2009 | 01:24 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by knfeparty
to the original poster...I've got some 15" phone dials that have your name on them for the track. You can have 'em for cheap. They even still have worn yoko es100s on them!

I also have some clubsports with r-comps that I will sell but only after I can find a buyer for the 944.
Ha! I have a set with new all season Michelins which he could drive on all winter, AND I'm in Canada. Sadly, though, neither of our 15" wheels will fit over his brakes!
Old 12-08-2009 | 03:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschefig
Show me a set of 17 or 18" (any width 8" or more) that fits an early offset, is within a couple pounds of factory fuchs, and doesn't cost more than $2000... (if the offset isn't right, you have to include the weight of spacers..)
S2's are all late offset.

Certainly the smaller wheels will save you a bundle on tyre expense. Not as much as down here. My 18" R888 are about $600au each and our dollar is worth about .92c US so you guys have it made up there. I don't think you need massive wheels on an S2 anyway. Maybe 245/265 sort of thing.
Another thing to look at is all your stock bushings / bearings. Upgrading them to solid and Monoballs from Racers Edge etc will tighten up your car. Suspension can be a bit like motor upgrades. Do it once, do it right. Maybe spend a bit of money on a good setup like KW V3s which will offer you the best of both worlds on road and track.
Old 12-08-2009 | 02:09 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Certainly the smaller wheels will save you a bundle on tyre expense. Not as much as down here. My 18" R888 are about $600au each and our dollar is worth about .92c US so you guys have it made up there. I don't think you need massive wheels on an S2 anyway. Maybe 245/265 sort of thing.
Another thing to look at is all your stock bushings / bearings. Upgrading them to solid and Mono-***** from Racers Edge etc will tighten up your car. Suspension can be a bit like motor upgrades. Do it once, do it right. Maybe spend a bit of money on a good setup like KW V3s which will offer you the best of both worlds on road and track.
I decided to go with the elephant racing ones for the weather seals..not sure if they help or hurt, but at least you cant see the bearing to inspect it!

I fully agree with what he said, no shock / strut / spring / tire combo can help if you are running around on 20-25 year old bushings, even the newest S2 is what..15 years old? swap out your bushings, mono ***** if you desire and have some $$ burning a hole in your pocket, then look at what you want out of your car... and for the love of god, make the car proper BEFORE you go on track and end up having to post god awful track damage pictures because of a failed ball joint / bushing / unexpected behavior sends an un-experienced driver careening off the track into a wall...

seat time is important, but a properly sorted car is 100x more important... if it isn't sorted it doesn't belong on the street much less the track!

Oh and $600AU a piece? you could almost buy them cheaper in U.S. and ship em... make a holliday out of it! maybe visit your friends up in Chicago... or a nice southern city...

FWIW..Toyo Proxex R888 285-30-18 are $244.09 ea from onlinetires.com in the U.S., less than half the price of the same tire in AU...

just sayin...
Old 12-09-2009 | 03:48 PM
Bruno'S2
Advanced

Thanks guys, lots of great information. Since the car is already jacked up and ready to be worked on I will go around and inspect the bushings. I did notice the front sway bar bushing sort of trying to squirt out of the supports. As good a place has any to start I guess. The lower control arm bushing is also one to keep an eye on I'm told. What are the signs of wear to look for?
Old 12-09-2009 | 09:02 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Ok, technically my comment was OT because I was talking about my application (86' 951)

My point was that there may be wheels available that are as light as Phone Dials but there is nothing available for under $2000+++ that are as light as Fuchs.
How much do Phone Dials weigh?
AFAIK 951 Fuchs are 14 and 16 lbs (F/R).

Quick Reply: Suspension upgrade