Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Jr... supercar for street or track on pennies...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 01:59 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i attended wpi and transferred to uc san diego in the late '80s. i own a tourist business with a mexican partner. as for hating Porsches. hmmm. i enjoy all the technical threads, but also like general discussions about 944s and 968s. i apologize for seeking to do so here...

other than tune ups and tranny oil, i spend a good amount of time cleaning the car because it rains so much here. i spend a lot of time traveling and driving my car too... but i have no interest in doing more... will pay to have it done... i have been at home a lot recently helping my mother who has cancer, thus too many rennlist writings. sorry. it has taken my mind off my sadness. my car is 14 years old and it's had close to $10k in service over 108k miles. not bad. updating the interior and stereo was about $7.5 k, wheels, brakes and tires, suspension, about 5 k more. i've done very well the last 3 years thanks to ebay and craigslist... overall, very happy with the three cars i've owned... gf/fiance/wife's 964 has been a blast too. that car is still running great at 128k miles. at one point the other day there was 3 consecutive threads about wheels. here's an interesting internet posting from a 12 year old kid...

http://jalopnik.com/5418823/12+year+...es-2013-lineup
Old 12-05-2009, 03:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee
Well uhh...i get what hes saying? Are you pretending to be confused so you can continue to contribute your useless vomit to this..what you would consider, "offtopic" thread?

BTW, Congrats guys. I'd like to officially point out that some of the largest hypocrites in the world have contributed to posting on a thread in which they never thought should have been on here in the first place...and better yet those posts...are off topic.

No one gives a ****.

Post some more. That will help your argument surely.

Now that i think about it...ive lost a little faith in a small section of the rennlist community. Heres an idea, if an offtopic post gets you pissed off, dont even bother coming on rennslist. Go make dinner or eat with your family. No one needs to read any of this useless opinionated bull**** about how you get so mad when a offtopic comes along. Even still odur has explained why its not offtopic, so buzz off.

It's OK, I know you must have other troubles in your life. Lashing out at others is a symptom of a greater problem. I'd suggest therapy. After a couple of years things will start to work out better for you, I promise.

Then maybe you can get a good job, move out of your parents basement, stop applying to be on the Jerry Springer show, and put down the shame-stick. Until then, live each day one day at a time. You'll get there. We believe in you. And remember, you can't spell the word "believe" without the "lie" in the middle.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Used sparingly, makes Rennlist much less silly.
You're correct. I feel better already............

This message is hidden because Banshee is on your ignore list.
I owe you a pint of Fat Yack.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is funny when the new kid wants to come in and decide how its going to be around here. There is plenty of tech stuff for the 944 without putting cayman stuff in this forum. There is a specific place for it, and it isn't here. Do you really think Tifo hasn't seen your type here before over the last 7 years? Rennlist is never going to be nopilist, so get over it, and post stuff pertaining to the forum that you are in.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enough already. You children need a time out....
Old 12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

This thread rocks.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Was she hot?

Other than the knot on her head, yes.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes....

Interesting art work D.Keshler... yours?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Nope, it's the work of Patrick Smith of Vectorpark.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Picasso has been re-incarnated...

As far as posting 'irrelevant' threads, I have a theory on that. If you hang around certain areas in Rennlist you get to know the people that are on there. You tend to feel some unity and familiarity with your peers and therefore look to them for inspiration &/or advice. I personally don't have any problem with someone posting about a Cayman say on the 951 boards. I think there is a sort of connection between the vehicles however tenuous. They are not viewed as real Porsches by the Big Boys and yet they are both extremely effective in comparison to the rear engined cars. They're smaller and cheaper also. The emphasis is on handling but power can be brought up to compete as well.

Except that there has been some personal posts in this thread, it would have just been discussed and gone away by now, not offending anyone in particular. Or would you guys really like to talk about how can I turbo my n/a again.....
Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Banshee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Except that there has been some personal posts in this thread, it would have just been discussed and gone away by now, not offending anyone in particular. Or would you guys really like to talk about how can I turbo my n/a again.....
Well why not. Lets talk about that, it is after all on-topic. To be honest, im serious...i missed the thread where you discussed that project. If you don't mind linking it, that would be great.

As for tifos...i gotta hand it to you. I enjoy reading your rebuttals, going so far into insult to injury that it just makes this thread that more interesting. Go ahead, pretend you know more about me...it only makes you more wrong. Hilarious. Just let me know when i should stop replying, better yet, when you want to hug and hang out.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

not likely.

but on the topic of the opening post, i still think the cayman turbo is a cool project for the money. there ARE people who drive the flagship cars, and they often depart from the 911 to select nice examples of 944s, 968s 928s, or boxters for weekend racing. but, the number of 944s available for parting or to restore is going down.

the guys at the 924/931/944... site sure as hell didn't think the car was awesome, but i don't know if they've considered the implications of being able to build a supercar for that price that:

1. doesn't require restoration.

2.with it's near 50/50 weight dist., it and can outhandle a 993/996/997 on the track.

3. goes pretty damn fast.

4. the stock gearing makes the upgrade in horsepower a perfect setup for the track.

5. comes with huge brakes, at the very least, as an option,

6. has modern safety features, driver's side airbags, gps, sport seats, and gorgeous, modern interior.

7. doesn't break the bank.

8. did i mention it goes fast ?

Last edited by odurandina; 12-07-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: contribute something positive to the thread.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by odurandina

i respect immensely the technical knowledge of the people that post here. that's precisely why i posted... but an angry mob showed up instead with nothing to offer whatsoever except to hurl a bunch of insults, possibly because i showed up here after 20 years of driving 4 different models, with a skeptical point of view about many things "Porsche..."
Oh poor odurandina.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:31 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
that's partly why so many 944s are being parted... the 928s suffered similar problems... there's people who own dozens of 928s and none of them run...it isn't due to old age or lack of interest... its due to to the costs of keeping them running, and not because they are rusting away, like the old american muscle cars.
I'm trying really hard to follow your ramblings.

The #1 reason 944 / 928's are parted is a demand for parts. There is a well known German boneyard in my area, none of the cars are picked clean like 944's and 928's. Yet there are just as many BMW's, Audi's, and Mercedes on this lot. You do not get a lot of people looking for 190E parts.....it's not because they are more reliable either.

Take care of these cars they do last, I've seen plenty of 200,000+ mile 944 / 928's with original drivetrains.

Problem is, on averger 944/928's are driven harder than your typical 80's BMW or Audi. Most BMW / Mercedes from the 944 era I see are cast aside "beater" cars. I attend pretty much every event at Road America. I'll see maybe 3-4 nice vintage 80's (non-Porsche) German cars running around. Yet there will be more 944/928's than the rest combined. Most in very nice shape.

Haha, i post twice and i get ignored. Funny world.
What's so funny about it? Most people enjoy Tifo's little stories, so unless you are just trying to be a Troll by bashing him - what do you care if nobody responds to your post?

Go ahead, pretend you know more about me...it only makes you more wrong.
We can only know each other by the content of our posts. The first post I ever see of yours is bashing a well known and respected member.

That's all I need ot know about you, at least for the duration of this thread.
Just let me know when i should stop replying,
You've already passed that point.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

there's a guy who just restored his 20th 944... apparently it required the parting of 17 of them in order to make it happen... not knocking that fact one bit, but it seems to me that the average resto of a 944 is happening at like 120~130 k miles... [give or take] ? if that's the case, then it's requiring a second vehicle to get the cars to 200 k miles +. anyway, seems most of the people who posted hate the cayman anyway or just don't see it being desirable money-wise...

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Jr... supercar for street or track on pennies...