Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 na calipers maintenace

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM
joonas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 944 na calipers maintenace

I have 88 944S with 944 brake calipers.

I use the car weekend during summer and some other days also but car stands most of the year.

It is not good on brakes as calipers rust even if car is driven daily. I use Hawk blue pads and get uneven wear of pads. One at the side of the piston wears two times faster. It seems that brake disk has some uneven wear on outer side. Some pretty deep grooves.

I plan to install brake cooling ducts. Right now brakes are stock.

I have some questions for you all.

1. What I can do against rust? How to clean and keep it to minimal. I do not like the painting as paint seems to burn off and you cannot paint sliding surfaces.

2. How you maintain the calipers that do not get used often? I know that I should install copper grease to sliding surfaces but how often?

3. For track use how should brake disk dust shield look like. I know that I should direct cooling air to the center of the disk and keep it there. How big should be dust shield? Like original or with smaller radius?

4. Some suggestions how to setup and maintain 944 brakes when used mainly on track?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

I have some brake dust shields off a 944 Turbo (87) that you could try. These have a big hole cut from the factory where the air is ducted in. Hawk's are going to rust because they have high metal content, not much you can do about that. Sounds like the calipers need to be rebuilt. They have these little nylon sliders that have to work just right.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
joonas
Racer

Maybe someone has experience with brake cooling hoses and best ways to route them?
Old 11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by pjburges
I have some brake dust shields off a 944 Turbo (87) that you could try. These have a big hole cut from the factory where the air is ducted in. Hawk's are going to rust because they have high metal content, not much you can do about that. Sounds like the calipers need to be rebuilt. They have these little nylon sliders that have to work just right.
Thank you for offering but I will go with something custom made.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

I rebuilt my calipers (they worked fine before but looked like hell). I disassembled them, including removing the piston assembly. That leaves two "boat anchors" which can be easily cleaned. I found that a bath in Muriatic Acid made them spotless. I then painted them with a high-temp spray paint and re-assembled them. Pad wear has been fine. While I was there, I replaced the rubber "boots" on the pistons.

These are super-simple brakes, and it was fun and informative to take them apart. Below is the end result of my work (includes new rotors and SS brake lines. Never thought a single piston floating caliper setup could look good!

Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 PM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine will seat in the garage sometime six months at the time, the reason our long & terrible winter & tonne of salt on the on the road,I'll start the car twice a month & then drive down my driveway applying the brakes at least a dozen time in order to keep the calipers & rotors alive,what I use on them to keep the rust away was a fire red (Super -Anti- Rust weather shield paint) made by Fedecor they are the O.E calipers & still running strong since 83,the pic is not that good but will give you an idea what they look like ,hope it does help.

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
joonas
Racer

Potomac-Greg, do you have some kind of cooling setup there?
What is that thing behind the brake disk?

I have rebuilt those calipers before. I painted them but paint burned off.
I will rebuild with new seals.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by joonas

I have 968 cooling scoops. It's four pieces (two each side). The upper piece bolts to the struts (coilovers in my case) and the lower piece SHOULD bolt to the 968 lower control arms, but since a 944 doesn't have the mounting points, I have a hack bracket. The lower piece scoops air from under the car and theoretically directs it through the upper piece. Below is a picture showing the lower pieces sticking out under the car. I once got black-flagged at an event because they thought something was falling off the car!.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:28 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tere Joonas,

for rust protection you can for example yellow or black passive your caliper parts. Then add powder coating to most visible parts. Total cost will be about 40-50€ (at least here on the other side of the gulf)
Old 12-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Cass944
Drifting

hey guys, whats the deal with the 2 little clearish plastic pieces that come with the caliper reseal kit? im not sure if it comes with all of them but the one at 944online has them in the picture if you dont know what im talking about.
http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...akesystem-9442

none of the calipers i have ever taken apart have ever had any little plastic parts in them?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by Cass944
hey guys, whats the deal with the 2 little clearish plastic pieces that come with the caliper reseal kit?
Factory manual says "Slide (only on rear brake calipers".

Piston 20 degrees chamfer is another interesting thing to remember.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Cass944
Drifting

hmmm ok they must just use the same picture for front and back... i didnt remember getting those last time i rebuilt a set
Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by joonas

I have used this product in the past for painting calipers...

http://www.g2usa.com/Merchant2/merch...roduct_Code=G2

Have found it to be rather robust. I have also used the so-called caliper paint from Dupli-color. That paint is adequate, though not as robust as the G2 paint system. What's worse - the Dupli-color paint will come off when exposed to various chemicals - especially brake-clean. Any standard paint will burn off quickly. Even high-temp paints have their limitations.

Quick Reply: 944 na calipers maintenace