Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch dropped to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:54 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently got that at Zim's, master and slave $90 blue brake fluid $11 ltr. power bleeder $40 don't forget the blue hose.

While I was bleeding it I got some sweet ss DOT brake lines too, 16 yr. old lines on car.

A clutch kit can be had for a couple hundred $.

<a href="http://www.allzim.com/" target="_blank">www.alzim.com</a>

I really like doing business with them, Good Luck
Old 03-26-2003, 06:50 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Well, I just got back from checking it out in the light. Of course, I forgot to bring my owners manual so I wasn't sure what I was looking at. The engine was totally clean yesterday, now there is a gooey mess in the front left of the engine compartment. It seems to be leaking (er, to have leaked) from a brown reservoir with a black lid.. break fluid? Please? It may also be what I was smelling -- I don't really remember. I wasn't in the mood for smelling it last night. Anyway, the fluid level in there is pretty low now. Is there a diagram that could tell me exactly what that reservoir was or could one of you?
Old 03-26-2003, 07:33 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front left as in the car's left (form driver's seat) or your left(in front of car)?

The clutch/brake reservior is in the rear of the engine compartment. It's right infront of the brake booster, the giant black circle thing. It's a semi-transparent container with a cap that has some wires coming out of it. On the reservior, there's a blue hose coming off the side. That goes down to the master cylinder. If there's crap all over the inside of the engine, then either that hose busted/ came loose or something on the master cylinder blew.

If the shop wants $500 for a cylinder change then you need to find a new shop. You'd spend no more than $200 for parts, and IIRC it only took about 2 hours for two vrey inexperienced people to do it.

Just be glad it's not the clutch itself.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I think you're in luck. Sounds like you only need cylinders. Check out my thread about this from about a month back. It's got a few pics, I think. I was gearing up to do it for a while (got put off until spring--and now I've got CVJ's to do).

It could cost $500. I got a bleeder, blue hose, liter of Super Blue, and both clutch cylinders for $200 at Paragon. They are the FTE/*** parts and there are some threads around where they come under fire. Apparantly some are good, some are bad. Some people have chosen to send theirs back and buy the significantly more expensive ATE (I think they are OEM) parts instead of risking doing it twice.

I went under my car, unbolted the (leaking) slave, wiggled it around, bolted it back on and bled the thing with a friend on the pedal. I haven't had to add fluid in a month. You might start there.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:17 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Wait, front left? Brown container with black star-cap is power steering, by the front right headlight. Wouldn't kill your clutch...

This wasn't obvious to me, but the clutch and brakes share the same (brake fluid) resevoir.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:11 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

yeah i think brown with black cap can only be power steering. it's probably easier if you say driver's/passenger's as opposed to right/left
Old 03-27-2003, 08:58 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But if the blue hose blew off, and he pressed the pedal down, it could shoot to the other side of the car. I accidently left the bleeder screw open one time and it sprayed all over the back tires.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:10 AM
qoncept944
Pro

Well, it seems the best place to start looking is gonna be the master and slave cylinders. I'm gonna try to get someone to go to the shop with me and help me tonight, if that doesn't work I should be in there tomorrow for sure. Wish me luck. Are there good step by step instructions online somewhere? I've got the Haynes manual but I'd like to get as many perspectives as I can.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=015931#000000" target="_blank">Perspective</a>.

Quick Reply: Clutch dropped to the floor