Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8/3.0L 951

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 11:30 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David,

I could make that block more tempting if you want to call :-) God I love this...Give me a call and I'll dangle that carrot for ya he he he he I'm thinking a discount for a sponsor on your car and you flash a few nicley placed SFR stickers???

By the way I forgot to mention in my longer post above, we use rolls royce chromoly sleeves in all our bore blocks.

Take Care!
Old 01-19-2002, 11:36 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

I screwed way up on my math up there aboput the total, to bad you all are soo slow LOL you could have had a hell of a deal if you called me on those numbers!

Its 8898.00 for the whole mess! Sorry about that!
Old 01-19-2002, 11:41 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DOH!!!
Old 01-20-2002, 04:53 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

John,

I WANT THE FIRST PRICE Too bad I didn't check the list this afternoon when all of this was going on- I'm usually pretty quick w/a calculator... Still, those are pretty good rates. The only thing is, I like the idea of stroking over boring- Garrity likes to do both for the whole 3.0, which is fine, but I think if it's going to be one or the other, then I'd rather have the low end advantage- we've discussed this before I believe. My biggest problem is that here in Knoxville, there aren't any of these bad boys to check out. It's really hard for me to say which I think would be better, since I've never even had the opportunity to drive either

I'll give you guys a call in the near future- when I actually have a decent amount of the $$$ saved to do it with. Either way, I'm considering one of your Garret's for my car when I do the rebuild, no matter what I decide for the engine...

Eurospeed,

If you haven't reached Garrity in the next few days, let me know, and I'll try to reach him for you. He does have a pretty busy life, and does go out of town occasionally, so that could be the reason for him not getting back to you. He's usually pretty quick to respond to e-mails...
Old 01-20-2002, 09:42 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts
I plan to do the 2.8 stroke route next Fall. However, in the meantime I have ordered a Tec 3, turbo and injectors for this project. I'll use them on my 2.5 knowing that they won't be optimum. I'll use this summer to learn to tune the system on the current engine.

That way I'll have the fuel and control I need when I switch to the 2.8. And as mentioned, the experience tuning it. I decided on this approach as opposed to doing the displacement increase and then hoping that I could fuel it properly with the stock electronics.

Of couse if you do it all at onece I guess it doesn't matter. Except maybe rolling the dice on a $$Fresh$$ engine
Old 01-20-2002, 11:35 AM
TurboTim
Banned

The 2.9L that John spoke of is now insanely fast. We are expecting this car to make 450+ hp and 500+ ft/lbs at the wheels @ 18 psi. This car is so fast I took a customer for a spin yesterday and he was screaming at me to stop! Actually Scott(thanks for the reccomendation, Danno) was screaming and crying at me to stop:^) Well I hit 60-70 mph in about 3 seconds! LOL. Driving the beast was a real challenge. This car will hit about 100 mph in about 6-7 seconds if you can keep it going in a straight line.I would expect this car to run a low 11 second quarter at about 130-140 mph! It has the power to get a better elapsed time but I dont think it will ever get the traction. What is really nice about this car is that it is a true street car. It has the a/c, power steering and a nice stereo along with the full interior, power windows, door locks, sunroof, etc.....From the outside it looks pretty stealth. It has got a little 3" muffler tip. LOL. Pop the hood though and all you see is powder coating and polishing;^) Gotta love it.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 01-20-2002, 11:55 AM
TurboTim
Banned

BTW, we will be giving thrill rides for the next couple of days in this car if anybody wants to stop by and check it out. I gaurantee that I will make you sh*t your pants or your money back;^) Bring some TP. Oh yeah this car has a 5000 rpm redline right now (<----yes its got a TEC) and only running 15 psi of boost till it breaks in! LOL. Unfortunately, we wont be letting anyone drive this car besides us because it is very easy to lose it and slam into a pole or something to that effect. This car is really dangerous with its ability to smoke the tires at will in any gear. If anyone is seriously contemplating this sort of modification, I would suggest getting some experience in a Viper GTS. Rent one for a few days and see if you can keep it in a straight line or at least somewhat under control. Know that the Viper is somewhat of a mild ride compared to this 951. If you can deal with the Viper without being scared then you might be ready for something like this. I gotta go, need to change my Fruit if the Looms;^) Take care.

Tim
86 951 http://www.speedforceracing.com
Old 01-20-2002, 05:17 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
John, Tim,

Please find another carrot to dangle I don't like the one you are using, $5100 to $7799 to $8898 ???

How about some engine bay pics of this beast,for those that are on the other side of the USA and can't take a test ride.

Is $5100 the correct price for the short block alone? I already have all the other stuff, your MAF should be arriving at my house anytime now.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:37 PM
Longtime76
Advanced

Powerhaus mentions a 3.2L engine on their site. How is this possible? Does this come from a 968? Also, could someone possibly give an explanation of how physically the displacement is increased on these engines, ie 2.5 to 2.8, 3.0 etc.), and differences between boring and stroking. I understand boring simply increases the cylinder size, but stroking increases the stroke - how does this work. Thanks for bring the rest of us up to speed .
Old 01-20-2002, 08:30 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
over sized pistons. (probably an s2 block) I have seen 3.4 ltr 944 s2's.

Nice torque I bet
Old 01-20-2002, 08:41 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

David,

Yes that 5100 is the correct price for the short block. Call me at the shop tomorow, maybe we have another carrot :-)

Tell me how to [ost a freaking picture in this box and I'll get a couple shots listed for everyone. ONe of my engine, and one of Steve's engine.

Take Care
Old 01-21-2002, 12:01 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
John, here's the steps to getting a picture posted:

1. go to "upload" page (on top of main forum page): http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/upload.html
2. hit Browse button and navigate to picture-file on your hard-drive (has to be less than 180kb).
3. hit upload
4. when finished, highlight & copy entire URL to clipboard
5. compose your message
6. inside your message, enclose URL within [ img ] tags like this:
[ img ]http: //boards.rennlist.com/upload/959engine2.jpg[/ img ] without the spaces...
and that would give you this:

Been busy, will call you this week sometime...
Old 01-21-2002, 05:35 PM
Huntley Racing
Racer

Onother option is our 3.1 ltr bored and stroked 951 motor. We sell these with ChMo rods, JE pistons, HR Stage III Crank, HR Stage III Head and all new seals, bearings, and gaskets for $8000. These are all built in our new engine 'clean' room under positive air pressure to maintain absolute cleanlyness. Dyno charts and customer lists available for those serious about buying an HR motor. Full Warrantee on all motors.
Old 01-21-2002, 11:05 PM
ksc jc
Track Day

Whow, looks like the competition is heating
up between SFR & Huntley.
Hey Jon, what would it cost for a long block? I have a 968 engine with only 5k on it. My original intention was to do a 3L
turbo. Would you be interested in a trade-
in if I buy the 2.9 from you ?
Old 01-22-2002, 12:42 AM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

KSC,

I'm intersted! Lets work a deal! Call me at the shop tomorow!

Quick Reply: 2.8/3.0L 951