Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel rail/injectors removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 12:30 AM
Cass944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post fuel rail/injectors removal

how exactly do the fuel injectors come out. when we took out ians we jsut pulled the whole fuel rail up and three of them poppe dout but one broke off of the fuel rail and fuel was draining out all over the engine untill we stuck it back in. but is there a safer way to do it. i jsut want to move my fuel rail real quickly so i can take off my manifold to polish it properly. its kinda hard with the fuel rail in the way hah.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:01 AM
Brett944Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I recently took my injectors out. On an S2, and I believe this is common to yours, you just have to pull, steadily and evenly across the length of the rail. Depressurize the fuel rail first - pull the f-pump fuse and then crank for 30 seconds or so. After that, I had gas coming out, but not a lot. Wad some rags under the fuel rail to catch it - as many as will fit. Also, I have read of people taking the fuel pressure testing tap (****read on before trying) off of the driver's side of the fuel rail to drain it first. But _don't_ lose the little sealing ball that's inside the screw-on cap. But both the top end of the injector in the rail and the bottom end in the manifold are stuck in with only seal compression. After I reassembled and was ready to start, I had someone standing by with a fire extinguisher, JIC.

OT, I have a guy here in MS who will rebuild injectors for $25 ea if you supply the seal kit and one other part - maybe the wire screen? Also, Vertex sells $30-40 rebuilt ones. Email me if you want the rebuild guy.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:38 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I find that if you grab each one of the injectors as close to the manifold as possible and wiggle/rotote it first, this tends to loosen up the rubber O-ring. Then when you pull on the rail, all of them are already loose and will come up with the rail. Another trick to try is to slowly lift one end of the rail up first, this will free up one injector at a time, reducing the amount of force needed.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:41 AM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Definitely remove the cap on the end of the rail after you depressurize it. Also, there should be metal clips that secure the injectors to the fuel rail.
Old 08-10-2002, 04:52 AM
Brett944Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good catch on the spring clips, Steve, I forgot about those.

Quick Reply: fuel rail/injectors removal