Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of rigidity if I add a sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 07:19 PM
AutoXdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Loss of rigidity if I add a sunroof?

I have a 951 with no sunroof that I plan on autoxing and a few DE events per year. Someday I might make it into a full time track car. I searched for one with no sunroof due to headroom issues, and believe me it does help.

I'm considering having an aftermarket sunroof installed to gain even more headroom (just a thin piece of glass between me and the ouside world). This would be the best of both worlds IMHO: headroom, a sunroof, and no crappy cables or electronics to worry about.

I am concerned however if the non-sunroof cars have any particular advantage in chassis rigidity that I might be throwing away. Also, did Porsche do anything to beef up the roofs on the sunroof cars that I would not have the benefit of with an aftermarket job. I certainly don't want to hurt the car. Anyone know?

Last thing is I'll have to do some photoshop work to get an idea of just how ugly this might be. That alone might scare me away from the idea!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Tabor
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by AutoXdriver:
<strong>Also, did Porsche do anything to beef up the roofs on the sunroof cars that I would not have the benefit of with an aftermarket job.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, they did so much work that the sunroof cars are more rigid than the non-sunroof cars, at least that is what I have read. Please, don't cut up a nice non-sunroof example. Install some sport seats for added head room.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:28 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yes they are more rigid. I think the pillars and a piece in the roof.

My friends was more than mine. He has a sunroof, and now he dumped some cash in his suspension and is way more rigid!!!
Old 08-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cutting an aftermarket sunroof in has to be about the worst thing for resale (short of a salvage title anyway), if resale is a concern anyway. All the extra steel that makes up the frame of the factory sunroof has to add some strength (IMHO) over an aftermarket installation, but neither is as rigid as your sunroof delete, from what I've heard. For a track car, you were on the right track, cutting a big hole might not be the right direction!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:21 PM
merlin
Track Day

non sunroof cars are pretty rare. IMHO I wouldn't cut it if it was mine.especially if you are planning on racing the car
Old 08-09-2002, 08:24 PM
kennyandersen
Instructor

hey! You haven't been hanging out with AMAF have you? It will be less rigid, and less valuble!! AMAF will help you cut the hole!
Old 08-09-2002, 11:14 PM
AutoXdriver
Instructor

OK, OK, bad idea! ;-)

I thought that might be the case! Certainly I considered that I would lose some rigidity (hence the post), the question was how much as opposed to a stock sunroof car. The suprise is that from what most of you say mine is a less rigid car to begin with! Never would have thunk it.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:04 PM
Tabor
Drifting

So I was reading Original Porsche 924/944/968 by Peter Morgan today, and there it was on page 15.

The coupe bodyshell was also very stiff, thanks to thick A and B pillars, deep sill boxes and a high central tunnel. Customers could also specify a large, glass-fibre lift-out roof panel, which actually gave greater bodyshell stiffness because of the strengthening structure around the opening.

Quick Reply: Loss of rigidity if I add a sunroof?