Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forget LeMons...CHUMPCAR!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Forget LeMons...CHUMPCAR!

So, myself and a few others here (notably schwank) participated in the first ever ChumpCar 24-hour endurance race. It, like LeMons, is a series for $500 cars, but with some differences in rules (no people's curse, for example). It was also the first 24-hour event at Portland International Raceway. Was an absolute BLAST. Not to take anything from LeMons, but this felt more like a normal race weekend to me - show up, unload the car and tools, race, and go home. Didn't have to stress about getting crazy penalties (though that probably has more to do with our drivers, etc). I'm still writing up our full race recap as the crew chief, but here's a link to photos to get y'all started.

Race Recap:
Man oh man, what a weekend. I'm still decompressing from the first ever a)24-hour event in PIR history and b)the first ever ChumpCar World Series race. The only way it worked was that 5 of the 7 drivers/crew own or work on a street or track 944...whoever had this car previously better hope I never meet them. We had the knowledge and parts, and that kept the thing on track.

The volume of crap (tools, shelter, chairs, food, spare parts, everything) took up tons of space, but most of it all showed up Friday so we could get set up, run the car and drivers through technical inspection, and get ready for the event. We had everything we needed to fix any problem except a blown engine, blown clutch, or blown gearbox (by the way, those are the 3 big issues on 944s!).

Green flag flew at 12:30 Saturday afternoon. Two of our drivers race 944s in ICSCC/SCCA events, one of them has actually driven in the 12 Hours of the Cascades. He drove the first stint and after two hours, we were up to 4th overall. His stint had the majority of the rain that we saw all weekend, and it was still a pretty wet track when our next driver went out. He was still getting used to the car, re-acclimating himself to the track, and doing it all in the wet. Several spins in a short period of time found us being black flagged, where the folks in the penalty box rotated our (directional) rear tires from left to right. That doesn't work so well in the wet, so we swapped them back and went back out. Things were looking great until about 4:30, when the fuel pump seized on us, requiring a tow. It took us about 2 hours to replace the pump--our spare pump was leaking. Thankfully, the race had a two hour break built in, which allowed us to get one of our driver's cars in the pits, pull that fuel pump, and go back out on track! We only lost an hour of race time. Everything continued to run swimmingly (well, we had some real annoying in-car radio issues that took me until about 1AM to track down), so I headed to bed around 2 (or 1AM, since the race took place over daylight savings!) I woke up around 4AM and found out I'd missed some fun!

It started to get quite foggy after I went to bed, so people were having issues navigating the track and being able to see what was happening. Now, those who know PIR know that there's normally only one chicane, the Festivals. ChumpCar, in an effort to slow the field a bit, added a chicane to the back "straight"--plastic barriers filled with water. A few cars had hit them in the 9 hours or so, so the chicane was getting smaller and smaller as the event went on. One of our drivers came through the area quickly and saw three cars going very slowly through the chicane. Instead of hitting them, he went to the right and demolished the rest of the chicane with the passenger side of the car. They guys had to cut the front valence off the car, but kept going. Imagine my surprise waking up at 4AM and seeing front end parts on the ground in the pits! The race was red flagged at about 4:30 due to really bad fog, so we stopped until 8AM (they extended the race almost 2 hours to try and get us the made up time, hats off to the ChumpCar officials). Before restarting, we were informed that we'd be seeing a black flag for our shenanigans on the back straight and would have to serve a penalty. Previous teams had served almost 2 hours in impound, so we figured that's what awaited us. At 9:45 we ended up with a 1.25 hour impound, during which the "wrecking crew" (first and second semester automotive techs at Portland Community College) deflated all four tires, removed the plug wires, removed the rear wheels, and hid our rear lugnuts in the car. We "found" all the lugnuts, replaced the plug wires, re-inflated and remounted the tires, all in under 15 minutes. The wrecking crew was amazed, but their crew chief told them he wasn't surprised at all--we knew the car, what we were doing, and were smart enough to bring spare lugnuts! We also asked around in the pits if our "public service" of removing the chicane was appreciated...we collected enough money to pay for most of the barriers.

And so, at 10:30, back out on track we went. Everything went perfectly--no real car problems--until 50 minutes left, when we suddenly lost all shifting. 25 minutes later, we'd fixed the shift linkage and gone back out, finishing the race. All told, we completed 447 laps (about 880 miles) in 24 hours, finishing 21st out of 38 cars. I'll freely admit I expected major mechanical problems, but it just didn't happen! We even collected a trophy for our donation to Portland Community College (our "fee" for destroying the barriers), to much cheering and applause.

All things considered, this was an AMAZING event. Thanks so much to John and the ChumpCar staff for putting together a great event. To the other competitors, hats off to you for a very clean, very enjoyable race. Words can't quite express the thanks to the CORNER WORKERS, without which we can't race at all. And, finally, to my drivers...Eric, James, Chris, Cliff, Greg, and Don...you guys rock. All the driving, all the working, great job. I had a blast and didn't sit in the driver's seat at all!

We'll be back!

Photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Wipeout9...eat=directlink

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1bzUTYP428

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5tAniTBPXw

Last edited by Wipeout; 11-02-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Added recap
Old 11-02-2009, 02:28 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Cool! I was on the dragon team (Lemon's race about a month ago). Looks like you guys had a lot more fun than we did. We're going to try to do the Chump car event at Putnam Park near Indy in April.

How did the car do vs. competition?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

We did pretty well, other than the main issues mentioned above. The 3-ish hours off track put us 21 out of 38 cars, 447 laps total. We were as high as 4th overall.

You guys should run the Chump event, I think you guys would enjoy it...and the highly documented saga of the Dragon (which I've said before was BS) should provide you all with some documentation regarding price.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It looks like a lot of fun. A few coworkers and myself are looking to put together a chump car. It won't be a p-car though : (
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wipeout
We did pretty well, other than the main issues mentioned above. The 3-ish hours off track put us 21 out of 38 cars, 447 laps total. We were as high as 4th overall.

You guys should run the Chump event, I think you guys would enjoy it...and the highly documented saga of the Dragon (which I've said before was BS) should provide you all with some documentation regarding price.

Jay Lamm emailed Dan Jauch (xsboost) and said our residual value was $25, so we're hoping Chump Car accepts that. We spent a few hundred for a replacement engine, which doesn't leave us much more room for other items that might come up.

As a result of our demise, LeMons is actually changing the rules around People's Curse voting so that each no-vote counts as a vote for no curse. Still, there is a lot of other BS you have to put up with during the Lemons race. Its all in good fun, but ends up taking away seat time, which is really what our team was after.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

I'd have to go back and read the chumpcar rules, but if you buy a "junkyard" engine, I don't believe that counts. Not sure if they have a conversion from LeMons to Chumps. Lemme know if you want rule interpretation or whatnot, I had lots of e-mails back and forth to make sure I was reading things right.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to see this. Glad you had a good time.

I ran the LeMons event here in October. They seem to be improving their approach. We ran the entire course at MSR Houston without added chicanes. Much better than the shortened course with an added chicane as done in the prior race. Lack of voting now means a nobody deserves to be destroyed. I don't think that anyone was. We had a great deal of fun. I recommend LeMons to anyone. I wish Chumpcar well.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually according to my recollection, 'junkyard' parts that would be equivalent to what the car had do not count towards costs if they replace a part that failed. That would included Clunkering your engine.

Wipeout pretty much covered the basics... I had some killer racing, including a 2 hour stint at night that was just a blast. AMAZED the car held up so well, especially given that it had sat for 4 years prior and had not been run prior to the event.

Serious kudos to the ChumpCar folks... we had a great time, and they kept the spirit lively and fun. Even the penalties were not so bad as to be aggravating, and the officials were friendly and straightforward.

In addition, around $12,000 in cash and school supplies were donated to the Portland Community Transitional School, which educates children of homeless and broken families. The support of local charities is truly a great foundation for ChumpCar to build upon.

We have not decided on Chumpy's fate just yet, but if possible we would love to do another ChumpCar event in the future. Was honestly one of the most fun times I have ever had in my life. Wipeout was a stellar Crew Chief and our drivers were all A+ guys. I definitely would encourage any and all of you to participate in some way in one of these things... just a great time all around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY-jWJs7EFM
Attached Images    
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

oh we are definitly in for a chumpcar event- i had never heard of it until after the Lemons race but it sounds much less aggravating. I think alot of what we didnt like was the attitude of the penalties at Lemons, even if they were "fake-ing" the whole thing it just really didnt seem like good fun most the time. We probl will go back to Lemons though, cant beat the price of the track time and it was a blast to a point. Glad to see another water pumper out there tearing it up.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

great story - thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Forget LeMons...CHUMPCAR!