Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In case you're still thinking about street racing....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003 | 04:32 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Omg this is horrible!@
Old 03-11-2003 | 04:41 AM
Willporsche944
Instructor

racers know the risk they take streetracing, if they get hurt or even killed it is no ones fault but there own. its when they kill an innocent person that makes me want to kick someones ***. hell i street race but i do it i guess you could say safley or responsibly, im not gonna go out and race some dude in the middle of the city durring the afternoon with people walking around and what not. those are the idiots.
Old 03-11-2003 | 09:53 AM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

He's learned his lesson, i think, and will probably get another one soon. He wasn't racing, but he was enjoying his car in the canyons, just like everyone else. Problem was, he lost it on a blind corner and flipped.

Perfect illustration of my point. I had the 83 when I was 17 and I was a terrible driver. However, I learned very quickly to respect the capabilities of the car as well as the concept of self-ownership. It seems to me, when you make payments on something every month (and work numerous jobs to do so) you value the fruits of your labor much more.

You are also a bit more conscious of the consequences of screwing up.

I don't know if it's a good idea for your friend to get another RSX... I backed the 83 into a pole a couple days after turning 18 and while I was paying for the repair, I drove a whole lot of nothing.

Micah
Old 03-11-2003 | 10:08 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I don't feel bad for the racers (in the least, good riddance) - but when other innocent drivers die because of teenage ignorance, it really pisses me off.

<a href="http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/gwinnett/0303/11dragfolo.html" target="_blank">http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/gwinnett/0303/11dragfolo.html</a>

This happened a few days ago here in Atlanta. I hope the 16y/o girl lives, but is unable to drive for the rest of her life. And if 'every 17y/o drives badly', then maybe the new ideathe victims daughter's pushing to up the driving age to 17~18 may be a better idea.
Old 03-11-2003 | 10:50 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

I think the issue of street racing has been delt with in the past, dudes. Check the archives.

I've been driving since I was 15 1/2 (permit, full license @ 16), and I think the driving ages are just fine. It boils down to responsibility, and how well our parents raised us. I liked the time of 6 months with the permit, when I was taking Driver's Ed, and driving with my dad.

To this day, I still am proud he let me help drive his monstrous '75 T-Bird (major car fanatic) cross country, and I drove from Flagstaff to Phoenix with he and my little brother in the car. Anyone who knows that route, you know how dangerous that is; everyone else, it's around the sides of mountains, with tiny guard rails.

If you think they should raise the driving age, well maybe teenage years should be extended until we are 30, and we aren't allowed to have a full driver's license until then. with the same restrictions.

That would never sell to gen-pop of course.

Every life is precious, and I'm not going to be hateful about street racers that get themselves and others killed. I feel sorry that a stupid mistake costs lives, when the majority of us make it past that.

Be a responsible driver, BOTTOM LINE!

To long life and fun!

- Julie
Old 03-11-2003 | 10:52 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Worth noting.. It is sad and all, but witnesses may lie. Here is a post from the deceased, within the last two weeks, admitting he was going to a pre-arranged street race to take on some other car.

<a href="http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=b3ae517d78a09ac38316ceeb3b23664e&threadid=67933" target="_blank">http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=b3ae517d78a09ac38316ceeb3b23664e&threadid=67933</a>

It makes ya wonder. Of course a friend standing by would deny they were racing, to protect the guilty.
Old 03-11-2003 | 11:01 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Ok, I'm sure a few of you have been waiting for me to start ranting and raving about street racing. I will contain myself. It is very tragic for the family and friends of the person involved in the RSX accident. It always saddens me when someone is hurt/injured/killed in an accident, whether it was street racing, high speed driving, mechanical failure: whatever. My prayers go out to his family.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Willporsche944:
<strong>&lt;snip&gt;...hell i street race but i do it i guess you could say safley or responsibly, im not gonna go out and race some dude in the middle of the city durring the afternoon with people walking around and what not. those are the idiots.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Please, PLEASE: don't fool yourself into thinking that what you are doing is in any way safe or responsible. You may argue that all the precautions have been taken, but that's not true.

Many, many more precautions are taken in legal racing venues, and yet tragedy still happens. So please don't fool yourself into thinking it's safe.

-Z-man.
Old 03-11-2003 | 11:42 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

That is so sad. Reminds me of a few years ago in Orlando a Civic racing a 'stang on a busy street... both lost control at 100+, Civic crushed, everyone dead, Mustang med-i-vac'd out (after being cut out of the CONVERTABLE).

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Micah Jones:
<strong>How did a 17 year old kid get hold of a 23k RSX? How did he afford the insurance? Mom and dad bought junior a car he couldn't handle, and now he is dead. He had been driving for what - less than a year?

It's sad, yes - but the kid was an idiot and we should at least be thankful he didn't take any innocent people with him.

Micah</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Micah, again I agree with you. Just like the situation I wrote above, at least they took their own lives before they hit mom with her kids in the mini-van. Death is not a suitable punishment for "street racing," but either is minding your own business driving home from work.

My dad was VERY against me getting the 87 924S at first (17). It was a flat out "NO!" After some bargaining on my part, we got it. But the stipulation was that I couldn't drive it for basically 6 months unless he was in the car, and he'd only give it to me if he felt completely safe with me driving it. And that was a $2,500 150hp 10 year old (at the time) beater!

Part of the problem was street racing, and part of the problem was putting in the hands of a young rookie driver TOO MUCH CAR for a first car.

My .02. I wish that family well and let's hope the younger brother of the deceased really learns from this!
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:12 PM
thedyingiraffe
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by RSXXX KC
my heart out to the friends and family of this kid, now please people, DO NOT MAKE THIS A FORUM AGAINST STREET RACING, this kid died doing what he enjoyed, too bad we all cant go that way

Hummmmmmmm... I hope they're not a majority that think like this or else I'm never driving in the states again!
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:41 PM
EZRider
Three Wheelin'

All good questions but I must place the blame squarely on the parents. Obviously the kid did not have his own money, unless it was "inherited", to buy the RSX. Any parent in possession of slightest cranial substance should know what happens when you combine a teenager with a HIPO sports car. My boy is going to learn very quickly that I mean business when i say no street racing. But I will take him to the track with a properly prepared 944 which we'll enjoy together, safely and responsibly.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Micah Jones:
<strong>How did a 17 year old kid get hold of a 23k RSX? How did he afford the insurance? Mom and dad bought junior a car he couldn't handle, and now he is dead. He had been driving for what - less than a year?

It's sad, yes - but the kid was an idiot and we should at least be thankful he didn't take any innocent people with him.

Micah</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
Old 03-11-2003 | 12:45 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

I just agree what is a kid doing with a 23K sports car? Yes, I do drive a 944s2 cabriolet at the age of 18. I didn't start with this car however I drove since I was 16 on a 1994 buick centry. I am also very responsible with a perfect driving record. I have watched footage of streetraces gone bad or just cars wreaking at lowerspeeds. The cars that go out of control are usually drived by people with very little experiance in driving a proformance car. You can tell by the drivers reactions to the beginning of a slightly sliding car. Its sad on how bad most people drive. I suggest to anyone before handling a sportscar they invest in a Go-kart to learn how to handle such events.
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:34 PM
Geo
Race Director

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Matt Olde:
<strong>My dad was VERY against me getting the 87 924S at first (17). It was a flat out "NO!" After some bargaining on my part, we got it. But the stipulation was that I couldn't drive it for basically 6 months unless he was in the car, and he'd only give it to me if he felt completely safe with me driving it. And that was a $2,500 150hp 10 year old (at the time) beater!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Your dad is a really smart man. I hate to sound like an old fart, but I see entirely too many kids getting new or nearly new cars in their teens (even powerful cars) that just don't appreciate their good fortune.

I was lucky enough to have a car when I turned 16, but it wasn't really mine. I just became the only one who drove it. My mom retired and my dad was recovering from a heart attack so the car was an extra. My folks knew they could trust me because they knew how much I valued my license. The car was nothing special, but it was wheels and represented freedom and independence. I lived for my license and my folks knew I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize my license (well 99.99% of the time and then nothing truly stupid) because no matter how cool having a car might be, walking is decidedly NOT COOL and I knew that's what I'd be doing if I did anything stupid. More kids need to appreciate their car, their license, and other human life for that matter.

That said, I see truly responsible kids driving every day. Some just don't have an appreciation for their good fortune.
Old 03-11-2003 | 01:57 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

It appears this case was an unfortunate accident...I agree with Julie...Street racing has been glorified and promoted by certain movies...

When you have a fast car, a teenager who thinks he is invincible (never going happen to me), inexperienced driving skills and a public roadway then you have a tradgedy waiting to happen...

God forbid you add alcohol or drugs to that mix...
Old 03-11-2003 | 02:05 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">
<strong>Originally posted by RSXXX KC
my heart out to the friends and family of this kid, now please people, DO NOT MAKE THIS A FORUM AGAINST STREET RACING, this kid died doing what he enjoyed, too bad we all cant go that way

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">If you want to go that way, fine. The problem is that you may take someone else with you that doesn't want to go. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 03-11-2003 | 02:28 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Geo:
<strong>[QUOTE]Your dad is a really smart man. I hate to sound like an old fart, but I see entirely too many kids getting new or nearly new cars in their teens (even powerful cars) that just don't appreciate their good fortune.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Yes, that he is. You're not a old fart, unless you consider me an old fart for sharing your thoughts at 23. My "first" car was an 84 Chrystler New Yorker hand-me-down, then I drove the family's Mazda truck after I sold the New Yorker for $700 to a friend. Then, and only because I was getting a college academic scholarship in 6 months, did he decide to go ahead and get the 924S. Honestly, and this is in all honesty, nowadays I see kids that are 17, 18, 19, etc., with new or brand new expensive cars their parents got them, and I don't envy them -- I PITTY them.

-Matt

Quick Reply: In case you're still thinking about street racing....