Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd clicking from the rear only under power...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 12:06 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overdoing the grease shouldn't hurt....pack those things full. It's always best to thoroughly clean them before repacking anyway to remove the old grease. I've used gasoline and brake cleaner for that on other cars.

I'm guessing it's likely an inboard one that is making the noise and thus it could sound more like the driver's side. Only thing you can really do to listen better is get someone else in the driver's seat or listening from the outside as you slowly drive by them. Still can be hard to tell sometimes. Feel the boots by squeezing them. Does it feel full or just squash really easily? If it doesn't feel like there's anything in it, there might not be. Do you have anything under there that looks like the grease has been slung out from the boot no sealing it well?
Old 11-21-2003, 10:35 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no the boots were not cracked or anything. there was no grease slung around. packed them full today on pasenger side. i will take the driver side back out and pack them "fuller" i guess.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:43 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I squirted mine full of grease....even if you just pack the bearings, once you start driving and cornering, it just pushes it out into the boot, so why not put a good bit in there too.... I figured it couldn't hurt and mine after filling them with the syringe (which was all of having a grease gun, a tube of grease and the syringe), have been quiet now since this was posted (knock on wood). I really filled them up till I could feel that there was grease down in the boot.

Quick Reply: Odd clicking from the rear only under power...