Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car doesn't turn over, but hear sound at rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003 | 11:09 PM
goody944
Advanced

Unhappy Car doesn't turn over, but hear sound at rear

Ok, so I built a pressure bleeder and bled the clutch (got half pedal back); wanted to put the starter back on so I could start the car, maybe take it down the street.

When I tried to start it, all the lights came on the dash, and I hear a sound coming from the rear (fuel pump?). The starter wouldn't turn at all! I thought it could be low voltage, so I tried to jump it. More voltage on the meter, but still no starter motor turning. Pulled the starter motor off but left it connected to power, still no crank.

The car had been on the jack stands for a couple weeks, could it be a fuel delivery problem? Or could it be that I connected the starter motor improperly? Two black wires to the larger post, one small red one to the small post.

I had remembered to disconnect the battery, but checked the fuses anyways. Saw a couple for ignition, but nothing for the starter motor. Could it be a fuse?

Help!

Thanks

Goody
Old 03-23-2003 | 11:13 PM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the starter is on wrong, or bad. I believe the starter is connected directly to the battery, so probably not a fuse, and a fuel problem would still allow it to crank. Hook the starter directly to a battery and see if it fires.

Conor
Old 03-23-2003 | 11:47 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Definitely a starter issue. Could be solenoid or motor. Either way a starter is called for.

Way to check if starter works (meaning you have a wiring problem) Ground case. 12 volts to both posts. If she don't spin (And get ready to jump back as she has loads of TQ) then she's dead.

Easily done with jumper cables. BE careful though bud. Wear heavy gloves, don't touch any metal and just see if she spins for a second. Basically see if she leaps up.
Old 03-23-2003 | 11:59 PM
goody944
Advanced

Ok, so pulling it away from the car to see if it would spin was not going to work anyways since it wasn't grounded, huh? I'd hate to think the thing died just sitting for a couple weeks!

I couldn't find a good pic, and can't remember now, do the two black cables go to the larger post? I know the smaller red one has to go to the small post, but I didn't remember seeing two cables come off the other.

Also, 12v to both posts when testing?

tx
Old 03-24-2003 | 12:15 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member

Napoleon
Veteran: Marine Corp

Yeah body grounds it.

12 volts to both posts because one is the solenoid (12 volt switch) that when energized allows the full load 12 volts from the larger terminal to go to the motor. Big post has 12v all the time, small post has 12v when cranking.

If the two short out, starter spins all the time.

Ask me how I know. Well I knew anyways, but didn't know it was so easy to do on ours.
Old 03-24-2003 | 08:00 AM
Martin
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

you have forgotton to connect the small wire to the solenoid, the noise you hear is the fuel pump that comes on during cranking, you can only hear it because the starter isn't turning

Quick Reply: Car doesn't turn over, but hear sound at rear