Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM
blopper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler leak

I am about ready to replace the gaskets for my oil cooler housing. It looks like I am going to need the oil cooler gasket kit and some exhaust manifold gaskets. Also do I need an OPR alignment tool for this job or will I not have to touch the OPR. Has anyone made their own alignment tool to save money? Thanks guys,
Don
Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as i understand it, u gotta have the tool anytime u remove the housing. the tool is to align the housing on the block so the oprv hole isn't kinked.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Ive done it without the tool. Mine had then newer one piece type. The real fun was doing it without removing the exhaust.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read too many times on differant forums when the alignment tool was not used that they had to do the job over again due to lack of oil pressure or leaks. Lack of oil pressure because the OPRV was misaligned. You take your chances not using the tool.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 10-24-2009, 04:44 PM
blopper
Intermediate

I went ahead and ordered the tool, doesn't sound like a job I wanna take my chance on. I also ordered the gasket kit and exhaust gaskets. Should I need anything else? The sending unit is fairly new.

Thanks,

Don
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not remove my exhaust on my 83.

I also did not use the tool. I asked to borrow my shop (Storz garage) and they said they never used it.

It makes a mess when you pry off the housing, so cover the driveway.

Some sort of tacky gasket adhesive to just hold the gasket on the cooler in place while you get it back on the car is helpful. Do not use a lot, just enough to hold the gasket.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blopper
I went ahead and ordered the tool, doesn't sound like a job I wanna take my chance on. I also ordered the gasket kit and exhaust gaskets. Should I need anything else? The sending unit is fairly new. Thanks,
Don
I do not know the model/year car you have to give you a better answer. There are 2 types of alignment tools-early and late and are not interchangable.

The late car 1 piece OPRV has 2 "O" rings. The one you see on the bottom end and the hidden one inside the OPRV. Both have to be changed.

You do not have to remove the exhaust to pull the cooler housing out. You have to remember how you twisted the housing to get it back in.

You should flush and test the oil cooler.

The housing may have corrosion pits where the outter formed gasket sits. I use Permatex copper on the oil cooler housing applied with an artest paint brush. Just for a thin layer. Do not goop it up.

More...

GL
John_AZ
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
blopper
Intermediate

Stupid me, it's an 89 n/a, so I ordered the late style tool. Yesterday I spent some time and cleaned the area real well. It looks like the majority of the leak was coming from the OPRV crush washer so I tightened it up a bit. So I may not have to do this job after all. At least I will have parts on hand when time comes. I could also use them on my 968 if needed. Good to know the exhaust doesn't have to come off.

Thanks,

Don

Quick Reply: oil cooler leak