Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Job

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 02:54 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy OT: Job

I've been out of school since May and this economy is killing me. I figured an engineering degree would be something useful in finding a career. Right now, I can't even find a job. Anybody know where to look??? I've pretty much worn out Monster.com and HotJobs.com...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-21-2002, 03:20 PM
951Badger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know how much I can help you but there are a fair amount of jobs here in Phoenix. I know you're in NY but don't know if you want to move. What kind of Engineer are you? I'll keep my eyes open. Also, check out the classifieds at <a href="http://www.azcentral.com" target="_blank">www.azcentral.com</a>

Again, if you're interested in AZ.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:23 PM
ribs
Rennlist Member

When I was unemployed in the past (I am unemployed now but I am a full time student and should graduate within a year...I didn't go to college for a year and a half though) I found I had absolutely no luck with monster.com and other ones, but I did get a few job offers by contacting head hunting firms (for example...in my area, tek systems, owned by steve buschotti, half owner of the ravens, had a couple of jobs for me but they had crappy benefits so I ended up going with another head hunting firm that was owned by a friend of my father's for a job). All of the jobs I have ever had since my first job were given to me because of a connection...lets see...chinese food delivery - my dad is friends with the owner...lockheed martin...my dad is friends with the VP...baesch computer consulting...my friend's mother was an executive...systems plus (government contract)...I actually stumbled across this job by myself and they offered me some meneal position, but my dad was friends with the owner of the company so I got a better position when I worked there.

In this world, its a lot easier if you have some connections...that said, head hunting firms are probably your best bet as I have had more than a few offer me jobs when no one else had.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:30 PM
icat
Race Car

Your looking in the obvious places, try looking elsewhere. Determine who you want to work for and then approach them about job openings. Have a professional resume ready. Most comapnies that are worth working for don't need to advertise, they have a ready supply of applicants waiting to get in the door. Make sure your "on their list" and then set yourself apart. Dress to kill if you get an interview, polish your "interview" skills, and get to know someone in personnel. Call them at least once a week and inquire about possible openings. Don't accept a position under what you've trained for, but be flexable in what you'll accept. Last piece of "free" advise, don't limit your geographical area, be ready to go west young man (or east, or south, or north...).

Been there, done that, got the job to prove it...
Old 08-21-2002, 04:28 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Thanks for all the advice. I graduated this May with an BS in Mechanical Engineering (Automotive Option). I have work experience via co-ops (paid internships) and have had my resume looked at by professionals and made the necessary adjustments. I agree with ribs, a headhunter may be the way to go. I have looked south, the Carolinas looked promising, but no second calls yet. Maybe West is the way to look. Until then, I just got a job at a sporting goods store. But I really don't feel a five year engineering degree is worth an $8.50/hour job carrying boxes. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Jonathan Martini
Instructor

While it might not be strict engineering you might also consider automotive work. With the ME degree and a short internship or course you could easily get your foot in the door doing auto repair. After you get some experience you might move on to working in a tune shop where you might be able to put your engineering experience to good use. With your specialization it should be right up your alley.

As a plus you'll be able to fix your own car and the pay isn't half bad. LOTS of physical work though, not your typical sit at the desk engineering job. I'd personally enjoy that more than typical engineering work.

Its kind of a different direction, but if your on Rennlist you probably have interest already and I know there are serveral people like John Anderson, Speed Force and Huntley that could provide good advice for breaking in to the business and possibly provide contacts.

Good luck.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:57 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am familiar with GE and they are always hiring bright young engineers - you may want to try their power systems group, headquartered in Atlanta.

You'll want to look for a entry level training program job, they train you for 2 years, move you every 6 months, etc, etc.

<a href="http://www.gepower.com/dhtml/careers/en_us/index.jsp/" target="_blank">GE Power Systems Job Opps</a>
Old 08-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Micah
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originalsterm,

Pls check PM.

Micah
Old 08-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

good luck getting a job with GE if you don't have a 4.0+ GPA ... silly bastards they are
Old 08-21-2002, 06:02 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may be too late to do you any good, but if you've had some German language courses, BMW (SC) & Mercedes (Alabama) will be likely to look favorably on your application. Last I heard, both were crying for folks with German and a technical education. Likewise their US suppliers in the SE states. I'm recommending that our two-year AAS mech tech students take one or two semesters of German or Spanish (for supervision in local industry). Few of them want to, tho'.

Jim, time to go home!!!
Old 08-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I don't know if you want to move to the south. But I work for a supplier to BMW there are at least 100 companies in this area who all need Engineers. Try Bowater paper as well. They just bought out a mill of some sort in TN and I know that they are looking for ME's there. <a href="http://www.bmwusfactory.com." target="_blank">www.bmwusfactory.com.</a> Go to the supplier page and send resumes to all of those places.

Good Luck
Old 08-21-2002, 06:19 PM
scular
Racer

Do you get the asme magazine, I have seen some nice jobs come up in there. Also for the fun of it I know Bosch has a number of facilities around the US, give them a try. Also head back to the University, they will help you find a job, one of the benefits of graduating. Just a little note, don't just email the company, either send real mail or visit them, it is harder for them to forget you.

good luck
Old 08-21-2002, 06:51 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Kind of discouraging talk for an aspiring engineer, probably mechanical.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:57 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

There are jobs out there I promise.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there is some small town up in Michigan that has something to do with the automotive industry. Maybe you can find a job there. Now if I can just remember what that town is called...

Oh yeah, Detroit.

You can alway try job shopping. I have a buddy who has been doing that since the late 80's. He has bounced from aerospace job to aerospace job (Pratt & Whitney, Boeing/McDonnell Douglas, etc.) with his ME and seems to make pretty good cash for his efforts.

Quick Reply: OT: Job