Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What color were the original plastic 944 coolant tanks?
Bright white, just like the current Geiger replacements from Porsche
47.22%
They were clear plastic, but not white.
16.67%
I have no idea.
36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

What color were the original 944 coolant tanks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What color were the original 944 coolant tanks?

I've had 944 cars for 15 years now and strive to keep my cars in as near original condition as possible.

As with many 944s, the coolant expansion tank in my otherwise clean 951 was badly yellowed and I replaced it with a new unit from Porsche. However, it looks a bit too white when I look at old photos taken of these engines when new and my guess is that the OE manufacturer, Geiger, changed the kind of plastic used somewhere along the way and a NOS (new old-stock) tank might be the way to go, if I can find one.

I was hoping to reach some consensus on this in a parallel thread about a process for whitening yellowed expansion tanks, but the 'original tank color' topic was deemed irrelevant by a few, so I'm opening a separate thread instead.

If you knew these cars when new, your response is appreciated. TIA
Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need another option or two...
DILIGAF?
Yellowish
Green
Painted
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the material in the new tanks better today then 25 yrs ago ?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WizPorsche944
Is the material in the new tanks better today then 25 yrs ago ?
Probably, but that doesn't speak much to originality.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you lightly scratch the surface of a yellowed tank, does the yellow appear to be on the surface or throughout? If it's on the surface then bleaching (by some means) might work. If it's throughout, then forget it.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't care, so long as my car stays cool.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

If it helps I have an original 1987 944 sales booklet I will check the engine bay picutre and let you know the tank color.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 PM
WizPorsche944
Three Wheelin'

Looks like it was white
Old 10-24-2009, 04:41 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a pic from the '87 full line catalog for the 944. Interestingly, they don't have many engine bay pictures of the 944 in the various catalogs -- they seemed to prefer picturing the whole motor outside the car (with no overflow tank) or using a cutaway illustration. FWIW, it's also white in the illustrations.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2009, 11:44 AM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

After looking at some old Car & Driver mags with pics of the 944/951 in them it looks like the expansion tank was white.
The other issue is that as the tanks yellow they also become weaker and more brittle. I replaced mine because it was expanding so much when hot that it was pushing the hood up.
Go with a new white tank for safety reasons and it will yellow over time anyway.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
.... it looks a bit too white when I look at old photos taken of these engines when new and my guess is that the OE manufacturer, Geiger, changed the kind of plastic used somewhere along the way and a NOS (new old-stock) tank might be the way to go, if I can find one.

I was hoping to reach some consensus on this in a parallel thread about a process for whitening yellowed expansion tanks, but the 'original tank color' topic was deemed irrelevant by a few, so I'm opening a separate thread instead.

If you knew these cars when new, your response is appreciated. TIA
[for whatever reason, cant imbed the pics - so are shown as a group below]

I don’t know when or whether Geiger actually/intentionally changed the formulation of the plastic used in these tanks over the years, or if tint may have varied batch to batch. There are original pictures that look like some of the tanks were white when new, and others show some color. I have read the explanation that they yellowed immediately upon use, and there are guys here that say their new/replacement white tanks have discolored and are now a similar yellow to the originals.

But that is not my experience. I think most those of us who were around these cars when new, remember the tanks being a semi opaque plastic. Not really yellow, not pure white, more like an uncolored/non-tinted raw plastic. [pic 1]

I have a couple underhood pics (in the day of 3"x5" 35mm photos) from the early 90's of my 89T, when it was still well below 20k miles, and the tank is nearly uniform in color, and only just starting to yellow/darken in a few areas, mostly below the liquid level. [pic 2]

Now, the original tank in the car (currently at 57k miles) still shows some of the original color around the edges and on the mounting tabs. But the body of the tank has discolored and clouded over the years. [pic 3 & 4]

When I bought a replacement tank for my other car over the winter of '05 (mfg date on the tank is 5/05) and it showed up pure white, I thought - what the f’ is this? Still not used to seeing a ghost white tank in there – and it has not started to discolor yet, 4 years later (which is the same age as the original tank was in the old pic 2 below). [pic 5]. Even with residue in the tank, the plastic is still very white. [pic 6]

A little hard to find/get good representative photos, as the lighting, flash, and contrast/brightness settings really affect the whites/off-whites. In the pics, I stuck a piece of white paper next to the bracket to show the contrast. W/o the white paper, its harder to tell that the original tank bracket is not as white as the newer one.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Oddjob; 10-27-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: What color were the original 944 coolant tanks?