Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Prschguy, I’m glad you decided to fix it. I didn’t read all the details in the thread as to whether or not you’re going to replace the tensioner, but inspect it very closely for cracks (maybe even get it magnafluxed), and be careful if you replace the pads as the upper and lower are different part #’s. When I did mine, I opted for new tensioner & new chain. Also inspect the oil tube very closely, as I’ve heard they are prone to cracking (from over tightening)

Also, what exhaust is on your 993? I’d seen & heard it at a couple PCA events (Sanders Aviation) & never got a chance to talk to you. It both looks and sounds amazing.

Darren, you shouldn’t need to be looking at replacing any of the top-end stuff for quite a while. IIRC, the tensioner & chain were done @ 90k-95k
Bleu, thanks. The mufflers are stock cans that are modified by Darren Fister (FD Motorsports) found on the 993 board. He has three stages, the ones on mine are Stage I and I love them. Have been thinking about a set of Stage IIs.

Looks like we're going to need a new chain tensioner, turns out mine is kaput, broken internally, darn. Good news though is we sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and exhaust ports and no leaking around the valves so none of them got bent, darn near a miracle.

So, now it's a matter of assembling parts and getting it put back together. Hope I can remember how it all goes back together. Thanks for all the feedback and advice and a big thanks to Steve Stimson and his son who have come over several times to offer advice and help.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
Looks like we're going to need a new chain tensioner, turns out mine is kaput, broken internally, darn. Good news though is we sprayed carb cleaner in the intake and exhaust ports and no leaking around the valves so none of them got bent, darn near a miracle.
I think I would've replaced the tensioner if I'd had a pad failure just in case it'd gotten tweaked and broken like yours.

Still can't believe how none of the valves got bent. That's one hell of a bullet to dodge!

While you're doing this, are you also doing a belt job?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wipeout
I think I would've replaced the tensioner if I'd had a pad failure just in case it'd gotten tweaked and broken like yours.

Still can't believe how none of the valves got bent. That's one hell of a bullet to dodge!

While you're doing this, are you also doing a belt job?

I assume you mean timing belt? Yes, the current one got chewed up when the valve train stopped.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

I assume you mean timing belt? Yes, the current one got chewed up when the valve train stopped.
Yep, timing, balance belt, etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

At first i thought you didnt know the whole assembly was available for a relatively reasonable price.

Since you wanted to try and salvage the old tensioner, I am sure there are board members that pulled their tensioner at about 120k that will sell you their used one for next to nothing. Put some new pads on it, and you should be good to go on your original path.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent on tensioner...I may have what you need.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom R.
At first i thought you didnt know the whole assembly was available for a relatively reasonable price.

Since you wanted to try and salvage the old tensioner, I am sure there are board members that pulled their tensioner at about 120k that will sell you their used one for next to nothing. Put some new pads on it, and you should be good to go on your original path.
For a new one I'm hearing about $400, is there a cheaper alternative? And is there some reason not to use a used one, do they wear out (besides the plastic foot)?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my 2cents, but for the additional $400 you'd be getting piece of mind that the thing won't self-destruct because you used (or re-used) an old part.

Not to make light of the $400 but the time you're spending has to be worth at least that....I'd just get a new one and do it right.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Berk
Just my 2cents, but for the additional $400 you'd be getting piece of mind that the thing won't self-destruct because you used (or re-used) an old part.

Not to make light of the $400 but the time you're spending has to be worth at least that....I'd just get a new one and do it right.
+944 - If I had dodged the howitzer shell that you dodged, I would put the new part in and never ever want to think about it again.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

For a new one I'm hearing about $400, is there a cheaper alternative? And is there some reason not to use a used one, do they wear out (besides the plastic foot)?
try sunset. this is a porsche only part and places like pelican cant discount the way sunset can on a porsche only part.

Quick Reply: Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?