Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 04:19 PM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a good thing (no bent valves) !!!

I think Vertex also carries the tensioner pads
Old 11-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
Well, thought I'd update this thread a little. Haven't had much time to put in to this so after some delay finally got the head off yesterday and much to my surprise, don't appear to have any bent valves! No damage at all, go figure, other than the broken tensioner mount that is. I've order a head gasket set and hopefully all the rest of the seals I'll need. Who sells the plastic guide/foot that goes on the tension?
why are you buying justhe guide instead of teh whole tensioner?

the guide has a 928 part number that i and a few others posted here in the past.

i would call sunset and get the whole tensioner.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I buy the pads from Sunset Imports porsche dealer in Oregon. They're like $40 each.

It may look like no valves are bent, but be sure to have them checked. At least, you can turn the head upside down, fill each CC with some brakleen or gasoline, and shoot compressed air into each port. If you see bubbles, no bueno!
Old 11-23-2009, 01:07 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
I buy the pads from Sunset Imports porsche dealer in Oregon. They're like $40 each.

It may look like no valves are bent, but be sure to have them checked. At least, you can turn the head upside down, fill each CC with some brakleen or gasoline, and shoot compressed air into each port. If you see bubbles, no bueno!
That's what I was wondering about. Was trying to think of some way to be sure, this is a great idea, thanks.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do I never think of Sunset? Especially when they're 20 minutes from my house?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

they were much less when i used the 928 part number. the whole tensioner from sunset should be around 300 IIRC
PN is in this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ner-again.html
Old 11-23-2009, 02:35 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prschguy, I’m glad you decided to fix it. I didn’t read all the details in the thread as to whether or not you’re going to replace the tensioner, but inspect it very closely for cracks (maybe even get it magnafluxed), and be careful if you replace the pads as the upper and lower are different part #’s. When I did mine, I opted for new tensioner & new chain. Also inspect the oil tube very closely, as I’ve heard they are prone to cracking (from over tightening)

Also, what exhaust is on your 993? I’d seen & heard it at a couple PCA events (Sanders Aviation) & never got a chance to talk to you. It both looks and sounds amazing.

Darren, you shouldn’t need to be looking at replacing any of the top-end stuff for quite a while. IIRC, the tensioner & chain were done @ 90k-95k
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
Darren, you shouldn’t need to be looking at replacing any of the top-end stuff for quite a while. IIRC, the tensioner & chain were done @ 90k-95k
Dan, it's on my list for a while from now. Like, probably a year from now.

That giant stack o' receipts was most useful.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:03 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah... I forgot this was the S2, not variocam. The title threw me off. Sorry! The variocam pads are $40 each and there is no 928 part number version. But like Tom said, for the S2, there would be a 928 part number you could try. The S2 and/or 928 pads are cheaper.

I don't know THAT much about S2s in particular, but IIRC one can not buy the lower pad separately, only the top pad. And guess what? The lower pad is always the one that wears out more! The lower pad can only be bought with a new tensioner. I have read that the upper pad can be used as a lower pad as well. But I have also read that the S2 tensioners have been known to fail periodically so when it's time to do the pads, one should really consider just replacing the whole thing.

HTH.

Darren, you're lucky. If I was 20 minutes away from Sunset Imports I'd be ordering parts every week!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
It's my understanding the S2 head is a vario-cam head. The tensioner is designed to adjust the cam timing up to 15 degrees if I recall. To my knowledge, there is no significant internal difference between the 944S2 and the 968 motor. On the 968 Porsche changed the intake manifold and make some evolutionary tweaks to get the hp up, but the motors themselves are essentially the same design including displacement and valve actuation.

As far as repairing vs. selling, the car belongs to my daughter and she just doesn't have $1800-2500 dollars to put in the car. I've had the valve cover off and the head is not savable. Where the hydraulic tensioner bolts on is cracked. Best solutions seems a new head or maybe swap motors. If we can't get enough for the car as-is then I guess we'll put the money in it. Here's a pic of the car.
Higher compression ratio, lighter and stronger rods and pistons, improved engine management system, improved combustion chamber and inlet manifold, variocam, new exhaust tuned to the above changes. Quite a few changes in the drivetrain, no? That said, the S2 is a great value in Porsche ownership.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

Oh yeah... I forgot this was the S2, not variocam. The title threw me off. Sorry! The variocam pads are $40 each and there is no 928 part number version. But like Tom said, for the S2, there would be a 928 part number you could try. The S2 and/or 928 pads are cheaper.

I don't know THAT much about S2s in particular, but IIRC one can not buy the lower pad separately, only the top pad. And guess what? The lower pad is always the one that wears out more! The lower pad can only be bought with a new tensioner. I have read that the upper pad can be used as a lower pad as well. But I have also read that the S2 tensioners have been known to fail periodically so when it's time to do the pads, one should really consider just replacing the whole thing.

HTH.
No... the lower pad lasts a pretty long time and the upper pad is quite different from the lower pad. The upper pad wears out or cracks apart and the chain then grabs the metal edge that the tensioner pad covers and tears it off. the lower pad does not do much and does not seem to fall apart, but it probably gets brittle.

The tensioner itself IMO will not wear out over the useful life of the car but you are welcome to replace it.

Word is one can get the lower pad now at a reasonable price, as part of a set. The lower pad used to be on the parts books but the cost was higher than that of the tensioner complete with both pads so just an unwise purchase. The upper pad was $16 when I bought a few but that price has gone up quite a bit.

This is supposedly the pad set part number:

Claimed to be $105 at one time or another. I'd call Sunset or Rodger at 928srus: http://www.928srus.com/

928 writeup:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...posterity.html

-Joel.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the correction.

Also, on upper pad vs lower pad wearing faster, I was again thinking of variocam. On the variocam the lower one wears out more but on the S2 I have no idea so you're probably right.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi prshguy, If you are good with a Dremal tool you can make your own tensioner pad out of teflon, much better than plastic. All it is cut, grind, sand and fit. Saves $$$$ and just takes a little time. You will have it done quicker than ordering and waiting on part to arrive. Then again, I'm a cheap son of a gun.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 11-24-2009, 03:27 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Larry, if you have pictures of that, I'd love to see it. Also I'd be interested to know how long you have been running your custom teflon pads and how well they are doing.

I am also very frugal, but chain tensioner pads are probably the last thing I would cheap out on.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM
james123
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, very helpful. Still on the fence here. As much as we love this car, we have to be practical and cannot just pour money in to it. sdstimson may have a lead on a head for me so I'm hoping this might work out after all and we can put the car back on the road without breaking the bank.ac compressor

Quick Reply: Vario-cam self-destructed this week, what's the car worth as is?