Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice on windshield replacement, steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:16 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on windshield replacement, steering problem

hey guys, been a while! Car's coming along, got a couple coats of paint on it, still need to wetsand and buff, or lay a couple more and then wetsand and buff, haven't decided.

ran into a couple of problems:
first, i caught a rock on route 50 and it cracked my windshield. Processed it through state farm and they're going to cover it...now i just need to find a good place to do it, anybody got any suggestions?

second, i've developed a pretty severe steering problem...it all started when one of the control arm bolt retaining nuts (the bolts that go through the back frame mounting point) stripped out, allowing my right control arm to loosen and almost drop off. Let me tell you, that scared the crap out of me when i found it...but that is fixed.

I took the car in for an alignment right after that, because i figured the twisting of the control arm just knocked the toe out and that's why the car was wandering and the steering felt slushy. Well, the toe was out, so my mechanic aligned the front end for me, but it didn't help with the slushy feel and the wheel that won't straighten...let me explain that last part.

-when i take a left hand corner, the steering doesn't seem to really catch until i've turned the wheel about 45 degrees to the left, after the turn, when the car returns to a straight line, the steering wheel remains at about a 30-45 degree angle to the left. I can then jiggle the wheel back and forth towards the right, until the wheel is in the center, without moving the car much at all. The same happens on right turns, but to less of a degree...all the while the car seems to be pulling a little left-

i'll be honest, this is scaring me a little, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

just to clarify:
-the power steering rack has the pump and lines removed and the rack has been plugged, but it could be empty...possible cause?
-the front ball joints are brand new as of last summer, they were replaced with rennbay's upgrade kit (bronze bushings or whatever it is)
-the car was aligned thursday, but the alignment didn't help with the above problems much
-i have no funny noises or anything peculiar to tip me off towards any specific problem, only the bothering change in drivability

Thanks guys!
Ethan
Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are the rack mount bushings? Could be the rack moving.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
How are the rack mount bushings? Could be the rack moving.
My guess, too.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:51 AM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

definitely something to check! thanks for the suggestion, it's cheap enough i might as well by a couple and replace them...

any other possibilities? just trying to cover most of the bases...
Thanks!
Old 10-18-2009, 12:33 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ethan,
how you been dude???

I just had a new windshield installed on my 951 Friday.
I had Safelite do it. They came to my house and installed the proper Sekruit windshield.

Geico picked up the tab.

I could not be more satisfied with Safelite.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:49 PM
lovemyp-car
Three Wheelin'

Safelite huh...i'll look them up, thanks Pat!

I've been great man, how've you been? i'm going to college up where i went to high school, probably just going for one year to get basic courses out of the way and take a bunch of math (calculus!!!!!!gaaaaah!!!). It's been a ball so far.
I've come up with a plan to go back to the stock hood also, which will entail some more intake tubing, an electric remote water pump, and doing some interesting things with the headlights...you'll probably be seeing me at a fun run or two in the spring!

Quick Reply: Need some advice on windshield replacement, steering problem