Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16v broken teeth repair. 87 944S

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:42 PM
windwaiver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 16v broken teeth repair. 87 944S

Ok i have searched for over an hour, and only found one thread. When the teeth break off, I have 3 in a row that are broken. I've pulled the head. Fractured tensioner mount, found the aluminum part.

Should I pull the engine and oil pan to look for the teeth and the tensioner pad? One of the pads are missing. Don't know if the PO might have taken it out. PO said it was a startup failure of timing belt. At this point is it easier to pull the engine from the top with the head off? Drained the oil and found nothing.

Found a working take off, plan to have valve job and surfacing done. New belts and hopefully find someone that can help align the new head camshafts after install.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The teeth from the mount failure that occurred when the PO owned my car continued to show up on my drain plug magnet for several months. When I replaced my head one year later I still found teeth in the oil returns from the head down to the pan. You only have three missing teeth. I was lucky and even though my engine had perhaps all the teeth floating around the teeth did not cause any other damage. You might be lucky too, then again maybe not.
Look in the returns from the head to the pan. The return below the tensioner on the exhaust side was where I found three teeth. They were stuck in there with a piece of tensioner pad and I plucked them out with a machinist scribe. I found found five teeth on the drain plug magnet. Two on one change and three on another oil change.
Removing the pan can be done with the engine in the car. You have to remove the front suspension cross member. If you remove the pan you should replace the the rod bearings and and since you have the head off the rings are an easy replacement too. The choice is up to you. I suppose I was lucky and took a risk by driving the car. I did not remove the pan. I did drive the car hard which likely moved the teeth around to the magnet! Or it could have moved them around where they could have done some damage. good luck.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the engine and rebuild it. At this point you are going to spend so much time pulling the pan and the head that its quicker just to take it out and work on a stand where there is more space. I would say that - if you are really on a budget, only remove the pan and take out the chips, and remove the head and have it taken in and fixed. But then, you SHOULDNT be on a budget if you are willing to fix a 944S with a tensioner failure. TIG welding that head is gonna be big $$. I thought I could escape refreshing my S motor on the cheap, but still ended up spending about 600 in parts and I didnt replace bearings!

Quick Reply: 16v broken teeth repair. 87 944S