Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Housing Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 07:56 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cam Housing Removal Question

I'm in the process of changing the cam housing gasket and all belts as well. At this point i have two questions.

1)Where did you find a 6mm allen head that was long enough to reach in the hole of the cam housing?

2)Once I remove all of the allen heads in the housing and on the lower lip, will the housing lift off? Do i also have to remove any bolts on the distributor area? It looks like there might be a bolt hidden behind the cam sprocket but i can't really tell. If there is one there that needs to come off, how do i remove the cam sprocket?
Old 07-21-2002, 11:02 PM
Der Cupmeister
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Before I had the proper socketed 6mm allen, I made one by cutting off the short side of a 6 mm allen wrench and stuck it in a 3/8 6mm deep socket. Worked fine.
The rear half of the cam sprocket housing is bolted to the cam housing but comes off with it after removing all the hex head bolts. Just remove them in an alternating pattern as some of the lifters are extended and you want the housing to come up as level as possible.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Gerald Allgire
Instructor

Snap-On makes a set. Watch the lifters when you pull it off. They will want to fall out and head straight to the floor.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:13 AM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Ok, so in order to get the cam sprocket housing bolts off, i need to remove the sprocket. Which is held on by what i assume to be one small allen head(hold the rotor on) and one bolt which i'm assuming holds the end piece on. After that the sprocket just slides off?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:30 AM
Bones944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sprocket doesn't have to come off, but if you do decide to you'll need a triplesquare (cheesehead) socket. Just leave it on if you can.
Old 07-22-2002, 12:32 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your just changing your cam tower gasket, the back cork gasket, there is no need to take the cam sprocket off. The rotor is held on by a small allen head, be gentle braking it loose and reinstall with a small dab of blue threadlock. Take off the front cam cover bolts, that is all you need to get the belt off, front belt covers of course.

And yes be careful with the lifters; let the cam tower lean over toward the exhaust and most of the lifters will stay in. Keep it sidways or upside down until you get the cam tower to your bench. Take them out in organized fashion and the lifters need to go back in as they came out. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:03 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, the cam-sprocket can stay on the cam, just take the belt off and that's it.

I prefer to use a counter-clockwise outside-in pattern to remove and a clockwise inside-out pattern when installing just in case there's a potential for warpage.

To remove, start at one of the four corner bolts. Loosen 1/4-turn, then work counter-clockwise and loosen all four outermost bolts. Then move inward and loosen the next four bolts in counter-clockwise direction.... etc... until they're all loosened. Then repeat with 2-3 turns each. Take about three complete rotations to loosen them completely.

Installation is the reverse. Place the gasket on the head first. Start with the center two bolts. Start them just 2-3 threads in. Move clockwise and install the next 6 bolts, and onwards and outwards. Take 3 rotations to snug them all down to keep the cam-housing level with the head. Then do the final torquing.

Quick Reply: Cam Housing Removal Question