Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Care to Share Splitter Install Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey choinga, can you snap a picture of where you drilled the hole and used the self tappers? Curious how it looks. I'm in the middle of installing mine.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Hey choinga, can you snap a picture of where you drilled the hole and used the self tappers? Curious how it looks. I'm in the middle of installing mine.
I actually used 2 of the larger screws that came out of my batwing on each end of my CPR V-1.. it holds nice and snug to the bumper... I also trimmed out the inside of the wheel well so teh splitter is flush with the well liner..

no need to drill a pilot hole, the splitter material is less tough than the bumper cover, so once the screws are engauged in the bumper it will pull the splitter to the bumper and hold tight...

I'll take / post pics of what I did later... OK..I took cell pics..let me know ifyou want beter or higher res pics I can take them when I get home...

From the front

Drivers side

Driver inside the fender

drivers underside

driver underside in the front

passenger side

passenger inside the fender

passenger underneath

passenger under the front

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 11-10-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I actually used 2 of the larger screws that came out of my batwing on each end of my CPR V-1.. it holds nice and snug to the bumper... I also trimmed out the inside of the wheel well so teh splitter is flush with the well liner..

no need to drill a pilot hole, the splitter material is les tough than the bumper vcover, so once the scres are engauged int eh bumper it will pull the splitter to the bumper and hold tight...

I'll take / post pics of what I did later... I'm at work right now...
Great! It would be much appreciated!
Old 11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Great! It would be much appreciated!
OK, Already did... see previous post...
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Darwantae951

Thanks! I think I'm going to fabricate a bracket for mine and use rivets to attatch it to the splitter.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Darwantae951

Thanks for the pics John, it came out pretty well I think:

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

do you fly stuff ?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will use 9 of the pre-drilled holes. The center and then the 4 to the right and the four to the left.
REMOVAL:
-Remove old "Batwing"
-Remove old "speednuts/clips"
INSTALLATION (laying on your side, YOU DO NOT NEED TO JACK THE CAR UP):
TOOLS: right angle drill (or you can buy a right angle attachment for any drill from Home Depot-$15) OR a short Phillips head
-Push on new speednuts on the OEM mounting tabs
-Put washers on #8 SS screws and starting w/ centerhole screw in place. REPEAT @ left and right pre-drilled locations
-Use self tapping screws, gently push or pull (typically +/- 1/8") to align fender edge @ wheel well to edge of splitter. Screw together.

We abndoned pre-drilling holes in the last step after noticing that almost no 2 cars were exactly the same dimension. Whether it be to warping from sun, cold, general fitment...or whatever, with the flexible nature of the OEM plastic noses it made more sense to include self tapping hardware and let the owners align these to fit their car perfectly THEN screw into place.

And for reference....the novice time of 30 minutes (27 min. actually) was my wife. I helped push on two speedclips, but after that is was all her. And this from a woman who won't carry groceries as she is afraid to break a nail

So if you can't install it in less than 30 minutes...well...jus sayin', if it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck.....

Now Go drink a beer and pat yourself on the back...that was a hard 15 minutes of work!

And remember: SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND
Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha - nice CPR. The hardest part for me honestly was getting the old one off...the screws on the inside edges were hard to reach and rusted out as were a couple others that I had to hit with some PB Blaster and give it a few minutes to work in. The mounting tabs can be a bit of a PITA, but after doing one of them I could easily get one off and on in less than 30 minutes.

I don't see how you take the old batwing off without jacking the car up...unless laying down you are only 2" thick (and I'm not). I have a nice set of drive up ramps that come in very handy for stuff like this.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by choinga
haha - nice CPR. The hardest part for me honestly was getting the old one off...the screws on the inside edges were hard to reach and rusted out as were a couple others that I had to hit with some PB Blaster and give it a few minutes to work in. The mounting tabs can be a bit of a PITA, but after doing one of them I could easily get one off and on in less than 30 minutes.

I don't see how you take the old batwing off without jacking the car up...unless laying down you are only 2" thick (and I'm not). I have a nice set of drive up ramps that come in very handy for stuff like this.
You can fit on drive up ramps? Last shop that had my car was in fits over the amount of wood used to extend their ramps on their drive on lift (they didn't have a 2 post lift with arms low enough to fit under the car...)

I found fitment was AWESOME when I mounted the splitter, and I took my time (20 minutes) but I am limited to using a floor jack and jack stands... and my floor jack only fits on the center lifting point on the sides now...
Old 11-12-2009, 01:02 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Choinga...just messing with you

But with a 90 degree drill attachment it is WAAAYYYY easy. Best $15 I have spent.

Gotta run fellas....storm repairs.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:46 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Some of the best money I've spent...did my fuel pump/filter a few weeks ago...just backed it up on these guys and went to work...did my Tial with them, of course oil and gear lube changes, made it easy getting the front of the engine up when I was bleeding the cooling system, etc... When I'm in the engine bay I almost always use them as get they get the front up to a nice height so that I'm not bending over working in there all the time.

These were awesome for this job...gets the front up enough where you can get under there comfortably and they are some kind of new age material that weighs next to nothing...very easy to move around...and I think they get the car up higher than you can with a jack and you have the peace of mind knowing there's pretty much nothing that's going to get the car off of them. I just wish I would have bought the two piece ones...makes it super easy to get in behind the wheel...

http://www.raceramps.com/67racerampsxt.html

Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by odurandina
do you fly stuff ?
Yes

Hey CPR, great splitter. Looks great! I decided to a make brackets and use a bolt for the final attachment point, but that was just how I wanted to do it. Drove it tonight and after getting on the highway and doing 80 it passed the test! (Test being did I install it right!)
Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 AM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

yeah, it's way more sturdy that I thought it was going to be as well...there's still a place where I want to get a couple more bolts to get it to hold tighter against the front plastic wind 'thing'. I've got two bolts in there now but I can hear it rattling a bit at idle. Worth nothing that the CPR splitter doesn't attach at every point that the stock one does so you may have to get a little creative with tightening things down underneath, should you need it.

You have to be VERY careful with this thing installed with speed bumps and coming down or up steep gradients from a level road. I took a turn into a parking lot today that didn't look that bad to the eye but I heard the big scrape...no visible damage though. I've even bumped it into concrete curbs when parking a few times...the noise sounded awful but it held up perfectly.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i am of the opinion that changing a filter every 20 k might increase the lifespan of the fuel pump. Anyone got an opinion on that ?

Quick Reply: Anyone Care to Share Splitter Install Pics?