Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lindsey 3" N/A exhaust - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jtsporsche
now what about if i got some flexible exhaust tubing (would only be for sound testing purposes of course) and held it up to the back of the cat while someone reved the engine... same sound?
First, I don't know how this would work with you holding it there. That sounds dumb. Second, I highly doubt the tubing would give you an accurate prediction of how pipe would sound in its place.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:07 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
First, I don't know how this would work with you holding it there. That sounds dumb. Second, I highly doubt the tubing would give you an accurate prediction of how pipe would sound in its place.
But if he tries this, he needs to make sure to video the entire thing and post it for all to enjoy!

I have the Dansk catback on both my N/A and my 951... BOTH are works of art... all polished and what not!

They do offer one for the Automatic, make sure you order the right one, yes it is different!

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...y%29%2C%20Each

Dansk 924S/944 (1983-88), (1988 For Automatic Transmissions Only), Each ... $303, buy a cat from someone parting out, or prepping their car for the track... DONE for way under your $600 cap!
Old 10-12-2009, 12:44 PM
jtsporsche
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
why do you think ANY of this? is metal tubing not the same as metal tubing thats been designed to be flexible? and why is holding it there dumb? as long as i had the exhaust going straight in to the pipe from the cat, it would be just like welding something there.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
thewerxracing
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youll be hearing the leak.... Big time.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

why do you think ANY of this? is metal tubing not the same as metal tubing thats been designed to be flexible? and why is holding it there dumb? as long as i had the exhaust going straight in to the pipe from the cat, it would be just like welding something there.
Holding it there will be much easier said then done. It will leak to high heaven, not to mention it will get pretty hot. I'm pulling this out of my *** as a guess, but I dont think flex pipe will sound the same as a hard pipe. You just might find that it will be more time/money/energy than it's worth. Do you own a section of flex pipe long enough to work? IIRC this stuff isn't cheap.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

as long as i had the exhaust going straight in to the pipe from the cat, it would be just like welding something there.
You're kidding, right?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
You're kidding, right?
lol my point exactly.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like you've never had the misfortune of touching an exhaust pipe. From my experience working on an engine dyno, let me tell you its not a mistake you make twice. I couldn't imagine even trying to hold flex hose up with exhaust gas going through it. If you want further proof that this is a bad idea, I can dig up an old exhaust temp graph I have from that dyno showing exhaust temps coming out of a 600cc motorcycle engine.

Also, I think it would be different because the inner walls flexible metal tubing wouldn't be smooth like mandrel bent pipe. I would imagine that would have some impact on the sound, and it would definitely impact the performance
Old 10-12-2009, 10:37 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Thanks for your input guys, I think that I'm gonna go ahead and order the cat piece from Paragon, keeping the same 2 inch diameter pipe.

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...111.989.03.htm

And then in a couple of weeks see about trying to get my hands on one of the Dansk mufflers for Automatic transmission-ed cars from pelican.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...y%29%2C%20Each
Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

if i put it on my car would the sound be the same if i had the exhaust going into the 3" and out the dual 2"s OR if i had a small Y pipe from the exhaust going into the dual 2"s and out the 3"???
Just don't forget to check the outer muffler case for "exhaust flow" arrows. If you install a muffler backwards it will probably sound nasty and probably cause turbulence in the flow.

Quick Reply: Lindsey 3" N/A exhaust - thoughts?