Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adhesive for hood emblem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:59 AM
gordyboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adhesive for hood emblem?

After not having a Porsche for several years, I have picked up an 85.5 944 (it was too cheap for my wife to say no ;-)). It was in a crash at some point and had some work done on the front end. As a result, there is no way the nose panel is going to come off, at least not without some major work which I'm not up for.
The hood emblem is missing. I've purchased a replacement and now have to find a way to attach it. There's no way to get at the inside to attach the speed nuts, so I figure the only way to do it is with adhesive. I figured I'd ask for advice here before visiting the auto parts supply store.
Is that crazy?
I've done a search for adhesive and found recommendations for some other issues including:
Gloozit Automotive adhesive
3M "VHB" (Very High Bond) Acrylic Foam double stick tape
3M emblem adhesive

Think I should use the gasket? Attach the gasket to the emblem, then the whole thing to the panel?

Advice?
Thanks,
Gord.

Last edited by gordyboy; 10-07-2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Forgot something :-)
Old 10-07-2009, 02:03 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

This is an early car or a late? If it's a late, you can just remove the nose panel screws and off it comes. No big deal.

If it's an early, you can still gain access to the underside if you open the hood and look towards the strange hole type openings.

Don't be lazy! Do it right the first time!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

if its an 85.5 the panel will unscrew..
Old 10-07-2009, 02:52 AM
gordyboy
Advanced

This is an 85.5 (that means it's a late model). The car was in a crash at some point and a previous owner did some work on the front end. I have the document from Clarks Garage and the place where it says there will be screws do not have any screws, unless I'm really misunderstanding something (always a definite possibility :-)). It appears that the nose panel has been spot welded at some points, much like the early model is. Where there should be "retaining nuts" in the bottom of the headlight buckets, there is nothing except what looks like a layer of fiberglass.
Photos can be found here... http://members.shaw.ca/magiccanada/Porsche.htm
Old 10-07-2009, 03:13 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by gordyboy
This is an 85.5 (that means it's a late model). The car was in a crash at some point and a previous owner did some work on the front end. I have the document from Clarks Garage and the place where it says there will be screws do not have any screws, unless I'm really misunderstanding something (always a definite possibility :-)). It appears that the nose panel has been spot welded at some points, much like the early model is. Where there should be "retaining nuts" in the bottom of the headlight buckets, there is nothing except what looks like a layer of fiberglass.
Photos can be found here... http://members.shaw.ca/magiccanada/Porsche.htm
Ahh... sheesh... I hate some of the stupid stuff previous owners do... If it were me, I'd tear that off and fix it correctly, but I'm also a meticulous bastard

Try the 3M double sided tape. That stuff is strong and doesn't ruin paint when removed. That stuff is holding my DD together!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:24 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 503 Posts

i wonder if the accident was bad enough that he sourced an early clip and put it on there
Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 AM
Equilibria
Advanced

Had the same problem with my previous 944S, what I ended up doing was measuring out where the two holes would be and drilling them through (measure twice, cut once), then just put an even coat of silicon on the back of the emblem and pushed it into the holes. A little silicon squished out the sides, so I just took a cloth and wiped around the edges over and over till it was all gone. Looked great when it was all done, couldn't tell (aside from not having the rubber gasket) that it wasn't stock. Course you could never get the emblem off again, but given the situation thats probably a minor problem.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The last early car I worked on had little plastic pieces that were semi-hard that fitted over the two prongs on the back of the emblem (instead of the speed-nuts for later cars). You just had to give the emblem a little push to squeeze-fit the plastic pieces into the holes, then they sort-of re-expand on the backside to hold the emblem in place. I may even have an old emblem or two laying around with one of the plastic pieces on it to take a photo if what I am saying doesn't make sense. I bet if you look in PET there is an exploded view of what I am talking about.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

This guy is a site sponsor and has some awesome looking decals...the lite weight racing look . I am thinking of using the silver hood crest badge on a vented nose pannel. Just anothother good option for you:

http://www.eu-decals.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=91

Last edited by jsaindc; 10-07-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Originally Posted by tifosiman
The last early car I worked on had little plastic pieces that were semi-hard that fitted over the two prongs on the back of the emblem (instead of the speed-nuts for later cars). You just had to give the emblem a little push to squeeze-fit the plastic pieces into the holes, then they sort-of re-expand on the backside to hold the emblem in place. I may even have an old emblem or two laying around with one of the plastic pieces on it to take a photo if what I am saying doesn't make sense. I bet if you look in PET there is an exploded view of what I am talking about.
+1

mine is held on with 2 little hard rubber grommets
as are most BMW's

wrong marque, but you get the idea

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3M emblem tape...2 sided...tough as hell.

Where are you? If you're close, I've got lots.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
gordyboy
Advanced

I'm in Abbotsford, British Columbia, same country but not too close. Thanks for the offer.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
elf89
Pro

I used some Scotch double-sided out door adhesive to attach my mirror glass back into the mirror and it's been great. It was like tape, except between the adhesives was a thin, foam-like layer. Can't remember what it was called, but it had a picture of house numbers and a mailbox being held onto a house on the packaging.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:07 PM
RockStar951
Rennlist Member

dab of some silicone. Done. I use black RTV for multiple uses.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gordyboy
I'm in Abbotsford, British Columbia, same country but not too close. Thanks for the offer.
No problem...Canadian Tire sells 3M emblem tape for like $5 a small roll.

Quick Reply: Adhesive for hood emblem?