Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New '87 944, few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 AM
God_Bot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '87 944, few questions...

Hey guys, just bought my first 944 from a guy down in Denver (I'm in Wyoming). Anyway I bought this as a project/fun car and I got a good deal (I think). $2750 and the guy that owned it just bought it from his dad (the original owner) earlier this year. He told me that it's coming up on it's 15k miles service (it's always been serviced at the same dealer it was bought from) and it's getting within a few thousand miles of having the timing belt changed.

My first question is if any of you know what all is involved in the 15k mile service? From what I remember it's fluid changes, tensioner tightening, and a detail.

Now while I just spent money on the car itself I've always preferred doing my own maintenance and I was wondering how hard it is to work on the 944 I4 engine? Is it something that is documented enough that I could learn it myself?

I just replaced the timing chain on my Honda 400ex four-wheeler and that wasn't a big deal although it was a small engine and I actually had fun and liked the feeling of knowing that I did my own work.

There's also various small bits and pieces that I need to get fixed, like a stripped gear for the sunroof and a broken release clasp at the front of the sunroof. Does anyone still have the cargo cover in their car? The one in this 944 is no longer attached to anything so the whole wound up cloth and rod come out instead of unrolling like a curtain.

I'm sorry if I've confused anyone or wrote more than you want to read, how about some pictures to make up for it?

Quad and my '06 Monte Carlo (daily driver)
Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.clarks-garage.com/

good resource..and post your questions here, there are a number of very well storied engine builders here who will be more than happy to lend advice...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In addition the the reference mentioned above, here is a link with pictures and the tools you should consider when you do the belts for the first time.

http://www.arnnworx.com/

Read all of the projects listed as well.

The belts are very important because the 944 is an "interference" engine, meaning if the belt is adjusted wrong or chews teeth or breaks-----the engine valves hit the pistons. The fix will cost about $500 to $800 minimum. The belts should be changed every other year. $11.75 each/Contitech from

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...4M_catalog.htm

Time is more important than mileage for belts. The belt rollers and waterpump will last 60K if properly maintained.

Get the timing belt tension tools or go to a shop until you have experience. Do not believe the "automatic spring tensioner" on your car will set the tension accurately. Your first time doing belts will cause cold sweats and loss of sleep. Get the tension tools or Pro help.

GL & welcome
John_AZ

Quick Reply: New '87 944, few questions...