Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Texas Listers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote]Originally posted by icat:
<strong>With that in mind for October - let's shoot for Kart Zone this month. I'm booked for the weekend of the 17th (company is moving to new offices). How about the 24th?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I most likely will not be able to make it. I'm having a surgical procedure earlier in the week and that will likely count me out. I might be able to come out and meet everyone though.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:27 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd definitely be interested!

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 08-06-2002, 08:09 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll go by Kart Zone tommorrow and check things out. They're right up the freeway from my office. I'd like to make sure the dates in August aren't booked for some kiddy convention or something! Gums hard to get off the Bridgestone's!
Old 08-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Geo
Race Director

<strong>I'll go by Kart Zone tommorrow and check things out. They're right up the freeway from my office. I'd like to make sure the dates in August aren't booked for some kiddy convention or something! Gums hard to get off the Bridgestone's! </strong><hr></blockquote>

That would just make them extra sticky.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:17 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Let us know what you find out. If not the 24th, maybe the weekend after. I have a friend who just bought a 97 911 cab. He may join us and he will quickly realize the error of his ways.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:20 PM
icat
Race Car

The weekend after is Labor Day Weekend. Most likely that would be a bust.
Old 08-07-2002, 03:06 PM
txhedg
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by Jason @ Paragon Products:
<strong>I'd definitely be interested!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats committment Jason! Long drive just to drive a go-cart.

Hows the baby?

You need to begin carrying bmw parts so I can start talking to you on the phone again.

-tom
Old 08-07-2002, 04:14 PM
icat
Race Car

Just got back from Kart Zone and a private tour! Very nice! Karts are first rate as is the entire facility. A VERY nice Jag on display along with a late model Porsche 911 Cab. Food and soda is available (they refer to it as track food). Video race sims are also in house. Saturdays are the most popular day as you can imagine - so we'll need to learn to share. But there are tables upstairs that look down on the track where we can sit and talk while waiting. They are setup to accommodate large groups if needed, but they just close off the upstairs. I'm not sure we're ready for that yet.

I'm never been there on Saturday, so I'm not sure of what to expect. But it looks like fun! Has anyone been there when they are actually open?
Old 08-07-2002, 04:59 PM
Geo
Race Director

<strong>Just got back from Kart Zone and a private tour! Very nice! Karts are first rate as is the entire facility.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed. They are real racing karts, not kiddie consession karts. The tires are also real race tires, albeit SL tires (hard - for obvious reason). That's fine though. I did almost all of my racing on SL tires. Anyway, these are the real deal. The engines aren't racing kart engines, but have very good power and much faster than the 5hp Briggs kart I tried once (woof, what a dog).

<strong>Saturdays are the most popular day as you can imagine - so we'll need to learn to share. But there are tables upstairs that look down on the track where we can sit and talk while waiting. They are setup to accommodate large groups if needed, but they just close off the upstairs. I'm not sure we're ready for that yet. </strong><hr></blockquote>

If y'all are interested in a more closed group, I could try to muster the SE-R community. At short notice, I'm not sure I can though. Used to be I could get about 8 or so folks out for something like this.

<strong>I'm never been there on Saturday, so I'm not sure of what to expect. But it looks like fun! Has anyone been there when they are actually open?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have. I even raced one night when a friend I got into karting came to town. We had a blast. First time we've raced each other in about 10 years. We were also the only two on the track so we got to really go at each other.

The track is actually pretty good. Considering the somewhat tight confines, if you're smooth there is plenty of opportunity to get the speed up and there are a couple of good passing areas. The first three turns are tight and technical and if you can get through there smooth you can make up a lot of time. The last three turns are pretty much wide open and will really give you a sensation of speed.

I love karts. Kind of miss them (I'm finally selling mine to finance my race car). I haven't raced them in 7 years. These give you the real sensation. I guarantee you will be grinning afterwards.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:28 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
As it turns out, I will be in Corpus on the 23rd for a meeting. Would be heading back to Beaumont on the 24th, so meeting at Kart Zone would work well for me. If we think we can get some people there on the 24th, great. Lets go for it. Otherwise, if that seems to soon, lets pick a weekend in Sept.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
icat
Race Car

It seems like it's going to be too soon...
But it sure won't hurt to do a test run!

I'm in for the 24th. What time works for you Pete?
Old 08-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Geo
Race Director

<strong>It seems like it's going to be too soon...
But it sure won't hurt to do a test run!

I'm in for the 24th. What time works for you Pete?</strong><hr></blockquote>

OK, I might have to hobble in and not race, but I sure will try to make it.
Old 08-07-2002, 08:35 PM
icat
Race Car

[quote]Originally posted by Geo:
<strong>OK, I might have to hobble in and not race, but I sure will try to make it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great, I'd love to hear about your 944. I'm think of doing something similar with a 924S.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
All, hey guys, not much happens around here in the way of "gatherings" or "runs", so I'd be interested in some type of East Texas run, even though I'm quite a way from Houston, in Baton Rouge.

Anyone consider a drive into southwest Arkansas.?
Highway 7 towards Hot Springs and all the way north for that matter, is an awesome drive.
It's ranked among the top 10 scenic routes in all the US and has elevation changes and hairpin turns galore..
It take a weekend though, but there are some great cabins atop Mt. Magazine that allow open fires, BBQ and the like..

heck, I'm open for anything as long as Jason's bringing the suspension parts.....
Old 08-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Geo
Race Director

[quote]Originally posted by 951and944S:
<strong>[b]Anyone consider a drive into southwest Arkansas.?
Highway 7 towards Hot Springs and all the way north for that matter, is an awesome drive.
It's ranked among the top 10 scenic routes in all the US and has elevation changes and hairpin turns galore..
It take a weekend though, but there are some great cabins atop Mt. Magazine that allow open fires, BBQ and the like..</strong><hr></blockquote>

That sounds like a great future event! I'd love to do something like that - especially since there isn't anything that resembles an interesting "driver's" road in Houston.

Quick Reply: SE Texas Listers