Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waaaaay too much camber and wonky alignment! -- update with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:17 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
Hi, Joe: any idea how much "fixing" the front needed? Was the problem too much negative camber?

Thanks.
They said too much negative camber. I didn't take any pics so cannot compare to yours. They installed and aligned everything for me.

I think Blazak is out in Kingston. They specialize in 944 from what I heard - should take it to them to get proper alignment.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
The car has 944S M474 struts, and has just had '87 or '88 951 spindles/calipers/rotors added.
Where did you get the parts? Who installed them? Are you absolutely sure the parts were from a late offset car? It looks to me like you have early offset parts there.

Compare the parts that were installed with the ones that were removed, especially the spindles.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:40 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Where did you get the parts? Who installed them? Are you absolutely sure the parts were from a late offset car? It looks to me like you have early offset parts there.

Compare the parts that were installed with the ones that were removed, especially the spindles.
That was my first thought, too, so I compared the offset of everything I took off to everything they put on, and it was all the same.

Now that I know what they are, I think it's the strut mounts. Thanks for your patience, everyone. I'm really new to this.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by b5audia4
They said too much negative camber. I didn't take any pics so cannot compare to yours. They installed and aligned everything for me.

I think Blazak is out in Kingston. They specialize in 944 from what I heard - should take it to them to get proper alignment.
Sounds as though your mounts were as bad as mine appear to be...

I actually had to go to Blaszak's when I discovered that I didn't have the right rotors and had to pick a set up quickly. That was my first experience with him, and he had a full set in stock, and was really helpful. I didn't see an alignment rack in his shop, but it's just covered in race-prepped FEWC Porsches.

(Note: this work was done by another shop in town, not Markus).
Old 10-04-2009, 12:26 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Are you saying this is as close to spec as the shop can get your alignment?
No, I am saying the shop had no knowledge of how to align a 944 that had a modification. The results speak for them self. Take it to a pro.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:18 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
No, I am saying the shop had no knowledge of how to align a 944 that had a modification. The results speak for them self. Take it to a pro.
Brian, you're right, but I think 944Ross was asking whether the results I got were as close as the shop could get. They weren't for toe, but they certainly were for camber.

I'm really inexperienced in this stuff, but from what I can gather, the struts I put on (which were used) had really bad strut mounts, even though they are fairly new.

I'm told that the photos I uploaded illustrate this. I'm now on the hunt for some new upper strut mounts, a little sooner than I would have wanted to be.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Markus is a good guy to deal with and he really knows these cars well.

Quick Reply: Waaaaay too much camber and wonky alignment! -- update with pictures