Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I let go of my 944?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I let go of my 944?

I am the original owner of a 1986 944, leather seats and most options but not Turbo.

I have taken extremely good care of it over the years but I use it as my regular car. I love driving it but I don't race it or anythign like that.

I have been extremely fortunate in the last dozen years in that it has been taken care of by a genius Porsche 944 mechanic, who works for a dealership but also worked on them on his own time privately. He would charge $50 an hour and get the parts at the dealeer or 3rd parties and only charge me cost. All he ever charged me for was labor--and since he was so good at it, the labor was always very little and I think he undercharged me anyway. He was great at diagnosing problems, so there was never unnecessary work done.

So the car has been running me for everything, oil changes, replacing tires, etc and whatever broke down between $1500 - $3000 a year to keep on the road. 3 out of 4 years it would be close to the $1500 range, once out of 4 years it would be close to the $3000 range.

It is about to pass the 200,000 mile mark. Every year my mechanic and I review whther I should continue keeping the car. His conclusion was that it was in good shape, I kept it up well and until it developed really major problems, he saw no reason not to. (He did not need my business, in fact he was cutting back and I was one of the few customers he kept on privately.)

So here are the major change in events:

1. For circumstances not interesting here, my mechanic can no longer work on his own time on my car (or anyone else's.) So now I have to bring it into the dealer to have him work on it. I have just done so for a 30,000 mile service check --- and unlike most dealers --they really let my mechanic repair a lot of stuff without charging me. The bill though was $1000.

2. 5 days after the serivice check the camshaft started to go. After towing the car up (at AAA's cost), they found a good used part but the labor time, they had to charge me dealer prices which was $95/hour but they still kept it all at about $1400.

I am still within the $3000 range for this year. Last year was more of a $2000.

It has never had major problems before now. The clutch has been replaced twice, the second time last year. (He charge me, on his own time, $1200 total for that.) It has had a valve job because the timing belt unexpectedly broke (about 6 years ago at about 150,000 miles.)

3. But after going through the car this time, my mechanic (I can no longer talk to him directly as I used) sent a message that I had 2 oil leaks, he could not tell how bad they were, I should keep an eye on them. But to repair them would be in the very expensive range. I have had them already for a quite while -- but he wasn't sure if they had gotten worse. (There was some miscommunication--he thought I had to add oil right after the service check --which was not the case -- so I think he thought the leaks might have gotten worse.)

Anyway, because of these two leaks (and his not knowing whether they were worsening or not) and because of the camshaft going, though he said everything else looked in good shape, he passed the word on through the serivce manager that I should start thinking about letting go of the car. He said that it was just too unpredictable at this point when the next major repair would occur, though apart from thse two oil leaks, he saw nothing wrong.

So this breaks my heart.

I could never afford a new Porsche again. I have been thinking about trying to find a good mechanic closer to home that I would not have to pay dealer prices for. But I live in Baltimore, MD and I never found one 12 years ago, and my mechanic works in Newark Delaware. It is a trek. It was alwyas worth it when he worked on it on his own time...but now I have to re-evalaute.

What do people think?

Should I let go of it with the next major problem?

What would it be worth now with 200,00 miles?

I want to contiue driving a Porsche. I love this particular model. I don't know what to do....

I am open to all and every kind of feedback....
Old 09-28-2005, 10:18 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your name really Justitia?

Do you have any pictures of the car?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:19 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

good condition i think it could bring in $3500 quite easily, and depensing who you sell it to, and maybe up to $5000 if you have patience.

if you dont have the funds to keep it on the road, and are unable to do the work yourself for whatever reason, then maybe it is time to pass it on. the ONLY reason i can have a 944 is because my father and I will try anything. and its my second vehicle. so if its down, it can be that way for awhile and wont hurt anything.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

200,000 miles is not too much for these cars. I'm not sure what exactly could be going on a camshaft, if anything the camshaft can either be re-ground or just replaced...

Depending on condition you might be able to get around $4k for the car. If you like it and are still OK with the annual costs, I would keep the car. If you are really happy with the cosmetic condition, you may also consider getting a cheaper daily driver for a while, put the car away for a while and save up for a comprehensive re-build to re-fresh the car. This will be expensive if you pay someone to do it, but it is a Porsche, and if you really love it, then it may be worth it for you.

Also, another thing to consider is that if you do sell this car, there are other used Porsche values out there that may be in your price range. You may want to take a look at 968s, which are the ultimate evolution of the 944 and are quite reasonable for lower mileage samples. I've driven two, tremendous cars (Also may consider the 944S2, and the turbo, but maintenance costs may be a little higher).

EDIT: Ok, I just read your response below and understand your questions more. There are people on this board with well over 300K on the original engine. If you have been taking care of everything with a good mechanic, then yours should be OK for that kind of mileage. You are right, if you get another second hand 944 with lower mileage, you may run the risk of buying a car with neglected maintenance which can be very $$$. If you go that route, PPIs at a good shop will be your friend.

It sounds to me like you have a good attitude about maintenance and you are right, $300 per month is not a bad car "payment"...

I would say keep it.

Last edited by 500; 09-28-2005 at 10:44 PM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Funds to keep it on the road is an interesting question. I think in terms of what it would cost me to buy a new car.

There is no way I think, for even the cheapest of new cars, for me to have a monthly payment of less than $300/month. Even at $3000 dollars a year to keep my car on the road that is less than $300 a month. If I bought a new car I would have some boring thing I would be driving around and at the end of 5 years or so, it would be worth little and starting to need repairs.

In the meantime, if I am willing to pay about $250 a month, I can drive my Porsche. And in most years it has been less than that... and this includes all oil changes, maintenance and replacing everything breaking down or wearing out.

I guess my real question is: what does the 200,000 miles mean? I have the impression from here that most people who are driving these models have much lower mileage on their car. Am I looking at a car that has lived its full life...? 200.000 miles is a lot of miles...but as much as I would have loved to have been a car mechanic growing up, I am not. I am not sure what I am looking at down the road.

I am wondering if it would be an idea to look for another used Porsche 944 with much fewer miles... but of course I am concerned I might hit a lemon... and have more headaches than with what I potentially have now.
What do people think? ( I know no one knows..)
Old 09-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Justitia
Advanced

I don't have pictures of the car but after I pick it up (tomorrow) I will take some. It is white with burgandy leather, the interior is in very good condition thought the leather on the driver's wheeel should be re-stiched and the color of the leather on the passenger side seat is coming off (it did that within the first year--it is not fading but I just think there was some error in the dye process--but the dealer then refused to contend with it. They are Recarro (sp?) seats. And I just bough new floor mats for it that have not even arrived yet.
DareDevil: No, my real name is not Justitia...is yours DareDevil?
Old 09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

my car has 197,600 miles. i bought it with 192,500. replaced, belts, and brakes so far. it sounds like you are very good about its maintenance and i think you have less to worry about a 200k mile car than what i do. and i dont worry (well, thats a lie, i worry, but it doesnt stop me from driving it.) and the only way i will get rid of it, is if i have another one lined up to replace it.

andy has a car with over 300k miles on it i believe. and he still drives it.

your car is just now broken in. i wouldnt let the 200k mile mark get you down. heck, my "backup vehicle" 94 s-10 has 226,000 miles on it. only problem is a weird clutch because i think the PO had his friend put it back together wrong, and leaks a little tranny fluid. im getting used to the high mileage
Old 09-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Justitia
Advanced

What do you think a comprehensive refresh will cost? What does that involve? COuld my mechaninc have done that when he had the engine pulled apart (I know it is too late now--but, I am just curious.)

I am extremely happy with the cosmetics. The driver side has some denting from someone backing into it in the parking lot but it will cost me a couple of hundred dollars to fis that (I also have a great body man.) And the back rear has a dent because my parking break was not tight and while I was sitting in it on what I thought was a flat parking lot and working on something, I did not notice it slowly rolled into an SUV, which dented it slightly. That will cost few hundred to fix. But other than that, the cosmetics are great, the paint looks excellent and the car cleans up wonderfully and sort of glows when I get it detailed.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Justitia
Advanced

You guys are giving me confidence to continue.....
Old 09-28-2005, 10:53 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

well, dont take these prices to heart, but a thread a bit ago had some prices thrown around for a top end rebuild. and parts was maybe 600-700 dollars and then do labor yourself. so having a shop do it. i think it could start at 2500 (edit: im seeing a few prices quoted around 3500 but it comes out like new - see broadfoot racing breakdown ) and then up form there depending on what all is done.

but have your mechanic do a compression check/leakdown. a lot of miles doesnt necessarily means it needs a rebuild.

edit: if your mechanic already had your engine apart, i think he would have recommended the rebuild if it was needed
Old 09-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Justitia
Advanced

Since I can't talk to my mechanic in the shop and I have to go through the service dealer...the only thing the mechaninc noted was the two oil leaks. Could they have been remedied at the same time?

The service manager said they were in a different place...but I don't think he knows one way or another. The regular serivce manager abruptly stopped working there this past Friday (and I trusted him as much as my mechanic) and the new one is just learning the ropes. So I don't know if he has any clue... But I had asked him to ask my mechanic if he saw anything that needed to be done while the engine was apart and to take care of it. The word back was that he was already doing everything preventative to be done (which was not much.)
Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

www.BROADFOOTracing.com

PORSCHE 944
Stock Engine Rebuild $3,400
Includes the following:

Disassemble Core Engine
Clean / Degrease all Engine Parts
Inspect all Engine Parts
Bead Blast any oxidized Engine Parts
Hone and Silicon/Carbide Impregnate all Cylinders
Install new Main Bearings
X-ray Crank, and Micro Polish
Install Crank
Install Crank Cradle using new Hardware and Torque
Assemble new Rings on Pistons
Install Pistons to Connecting Rods
Install Pistons in Block
Install new Rod Bearings and Torque
Disassemble Oil Pump, clean, inspect, rebuild, and install
Install Oil Pick-up Tube with new Seal.
Install new style 968 Oil Baffle in Oil Pan
Powder Coat Oil Pan (Choice of Color) and Install with new Hardware
Install Balance Shafts with new Bearings
Install Balance Shaft Covers using new Hardware
Install Oil Cooler / Filter Housing with new Seals and Gaskets
Install new Oil Filter
Install Aluminum Engine Mounts with new Hardware
Install A/C / Alternator Mount with new Hardware
Install Oil Filler / Breather Housing with new Seals and Hardware
Perform Complete Valve Job to Cylinder Head
Install Cylinder Head to Block using new Head Gasket, new Hardware, and Torque
Install new W7DC Spark Plugs
Powder Coat Cam Housing (Choice of Color)
Reseal Cam Housing, install Cam Shaft, and new Hydraulic Lifters and install with new Hardware
Hand Polish all Cam Housing Bolt Cover Plugs and install
Install new Water Pump
Install new Cam & Balance Shaft Belts
Install new Roller & Adjuster Pulley’s, and adjust belts with "special" Gauge
Install new Distributor Cap, Rotor Button, and Plug Wires
Install all Sensors, Engine Wire Harness, Idle Valve, Crank Vent System, etc.
Powder Coat Intake Manifold (Silver) and install with new Hardware
Install Exhaust Manifolds

All Engine Rebuilds will be built to show-car standards!

Items listed below will be at an additional cost

(R&R) Remove, Reinstall, and Basic Tune Engine $800
7 Quart 20w50 Castrol $14
Resurface Flywheel and Install $45
Install new Air Filter $14 P&L
Install new Fuel Filter $45 P&L
Install A/C compressor and Recharge $125 P&L
Install Power Steering Pump and Fill Fluid $45 P&L
Fill Coolant & Bleed System $20
Tune Engine on Dyno for Maximum Power $300

All Parts are Factory Original

Street Cars - have a 12 month or 12,000 mile warranty on all Parts and Labor for ALL repairs

Now you have to get it to Florida Look at your local PCA region for more info on local shops. I think that you are in the chesapeake region. Yup. http://www.pcachs.org/ You should be able to find someone in the region that would do a similar rebuild for that price.

BTW, I bought a 2001 VW GTI a few months ago, $10K 80K miles payments are $247 a month, it gets about 28mpg. Getting a newer lower mile sport/performance car is possible under 300pm. All depends on what you want to do.

Michael
Old 09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
icat
Race Car

Originally Posted by Justitia
You guys are giving me confidence to continue.....
Don't listen to us - we're idiots. Just kidding - Welcome to Rennlist (and no, my name is not icat).

As to your question. It would really depend on several other factors. Such as, how far are you from work? Do you have another vehicle? Are you married? (sorry - Stig will want to know)... etc...

If you have an alternative form of transportation, then keep the 944 and enjoy it. From your post it appears you have a great deal of sentimental value built into this car. I can't think of a better reason to keep one.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Keep it!

My 951 has 186,000 miles and runs like a dream. I recently tested the compression numbers and they're bang-on - better than even original stock spec. The engine has never been cracked open either. The original owner took very good care of it and then it was sold to a guy that mostly just let it sit (drove it less than 100 miles in almost three years). Once I fixed all the little "neglect" items, it ended up being a pretty solid vehicle and I'm once again in love with it (let's face it, we all have our "moments of weakness" with these cars).

My n/a is about 135,000 miles young and aside from having bad paint (and a little issue with the rear axle bolts a couple nights back), has given me very little trouble. Still runs great, sounds good, pulls hard, etc. It'll soon be receiving a Callaway turbo conversion and I've no doubt it'll be a fine automobile when completed.

These cars are light years ahead of their time and will last forever in the right hands and give more "smiles per gallon" than virtually anything out there - even 20 years later. . .

Now, factor in the cost of a new car (I've recently contemplated this myself) - it's going to be around $400-ish per month for anything halfway decent. Certainly at least that for anything with the performance and capability of providing the enjoyment a good-running 944 can. Add to it gas, maintenance (a lot of manufacturers' warranties aren't that good - even now. . .), the INSURANCE (which will be at least 50% of the cost of the car in some areas, on top of the car payment), etc. and you're talking in the neighborhood of $750-ish a month. For YEARS. Sorry, but even with my obsessive maintenance and constant desire to tinker & upgrade, I don't even approach that. . . Just something to consider.

Stick with the 944. Give it love and it will repay you. These are like high-maintenance women - they're demanding but man it's worth it in the end!
Old 09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Justitia
DareDevil: No, my real name is not Justitia...is yours DareDevil?
No, it's not. You got me!

My name is Derek, as stated in my signature.

Quick Reply: Should I let go of my 944?