Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going rate on clutch repair (924S)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Book rate is about 10 hours on the NA. 16-18 on the turbo depending on the crossover pipe. I typically charge 10 hours for either, and still feel guilty about that, lol. With that being said, a lot of "Needs a new clutch" problems are nothing more than needing a new master or slave cylinder because the pedal is at the floor.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 AM
jdgunn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm about to tackle the exact same job. Does anyone have opinions on the $1k kit? It sounds a little unnecessary to me. Where is the happy medium between just buying a disk and replacing everything?

In other words, what's the "right thing to do" while replacing the clutch.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:53 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdgunn
I'm about to tackle the exact same job. Does anyone have opinions on the $1k kit? It sounds a little unnecessary to me. Where is the happy medium between just buying a disk and replacing everything?

In other words, what's the "right thing to do" while replacing the clutch.
If you want to do the bare minimum:
Clutch Kit (disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)
Flywheel bolts
Pressure plate bolts
Guide tube
Clutch fork bearings
Clutch fork shaft.
Rear main seal
You will want the clutch alignment tool as well.

On an NA, look at vertex's power friction clutch kit, I have used a few of those for customers on a budget and we haven't had an issue yet.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always treat a car like I'm going to keep it forever. (..which is really funny if you read my signature..) So when something needs fixing, 1) I don't hessitate to fix it and 2) I make sure it's done right. In the long run, if "while you're in there" makes sen$e, then I'm going to do it. I certainly won't skimp to save a few pennies. ...or a few thousand pennies.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey while I have some of y'all's attention...

What's the going rate for a belt change?

How 'bout a water pump replacement?

Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what i have been told its a tough job. I would guess the job would cost around $2200 dollars. I have noticed a few cars on craiglist going for nothing due to the clutch going out. Most people don't want to spend 3rd or half the value of their cars.

If you can find a car with a clutch needing replaced and you have the know how to replace it. You could fetch a late 924 for low dollars!

jpc
Old 10-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Want to be
Most people don't want to spend 3rd or half the value of their cars.

jpc
This is a common logical error. A 944 with a working clutch may be worth $4,000. If it has a non-working clutch it is worth $2,000, and to get that, you need to find the rare buyer willing to buy a nonfunctional car. If you put the $2,000 into fixing it, the car is again worth $4,000, AND you can list it and sell it like a real car, not a piece of scrap.

Within reason, big repairs ALWAYS make economic sense if you are building back the value of the car.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
This is a common logical error. A 944 with a working clutch may be worth $4,000. If it has a non-working clutch it is worth $2,000, and to get that, you need to find the rare buyer willing to buy a nonfunctional car. If you put the $2,000 into fixing it, the car is again worth $4,000, AND you can list it and sell it like a real car, not a piece of scrap.

Within reason, big repairs ALWAYS make economic sense if you are building back the value of the car.

Yes and no.. for many 944s out there in need of clutch, the owner doesn't have $2K to fix it. That's why they put it up for sale. The others who do keep up on maintenance sometimes think that all those new parts and repair bill charges ARE recoverable by asking for the typical $4k price + the 3K in repairs thinking they've created a $7k car.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truthfully, most people can't afford such a repair. My mechanic would advise the owner to salavge the car. Maybe 10 years down the road these cars will begin to turn the corner on value. I would compare the 944's, kind'ia like the 914 Porsche.

Todays, 944 is the 986 Porsche. They are dropping in value as i type.

Anyways, i am not trying to affend anyone...heck i own a 951.

jpc
Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Yes and no.. for many 944s out there in need of clutch, the owner doesn't have $2K to fix it. That's why they put it up for sale. The others who do keep up on maintenance sometimes think that all those new parts and repair bill charges ARE recoverable by asking for the typical $4k price + the 3K in repairs thinking they've created a $7k car.
Yeah I've seen this a lot. I'm willing to pay more for a car with a lot of recent repairs (especially the "big ones"), but we're talking change on the dollar, not dollar for dollar.

FWIW clutch guy never responded to my second e-mail, so I doubt this will pan out. Shame, it is probably a good car otherwise. Maybe I'm being stubborn, but I have no desire to work with someone who doesn't want to type out the answers to fairly simple questions. His loss.

Going to look at an '85 944 tomorrow....stay tuned.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:43 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Hey while I have some of y'all's attention...

What's the going rate for a belt change?

How 'bout a water pump replacement?

Thanks.
4 hours for belts, 8-9 for waterpump (obviously belts are included in the waterpump time).

Quick Reply: Going rate on clutch repair (924S)?