Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of stripped interiors and race/custom dashes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:54 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting ready for body panel fitment:
Originally Posted by ideola
Test fitting the body work. The real work of trimming the fiberglass and fitting the panels is the next major task on the list, particularly now that the car can be put down on the ground on all fours.

Also, I recently snagged a fiberglass rear bumper (IFC).
Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn dude. The OP was looking for interiors...not the whole car. Nice work though...

C.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM
GTSilver944
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

^^ Very impressive work! Those are some pretty welds...
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by GTSilver944
^^ Very impressive work! Those are some pretty welds...
That's the work of Todd Quenneville. Top quality work for sure. We have a little bit more fabrication to do for the body panel brackets, the dry sump setup, the intercooler / rad / fixed headlight mounts, and the axle-driven alt. Hope to get that stuff done before Christmas.

As for the original post, he asked for stripped interior...what's the fun in just showing the (somewhat) final results gotta show how we got there!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Here's mine:

Old 07-04-2018, 03:57 PM
bobhope
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a quick question of my own

Is there anything I should know when removing the trim off the detachable roof of a 944 s2?
Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Ideola - that’s impressive work and you’re giving me ideas for my build. Now that it’s been few years, any further feedback about having the chassis media blasted? Any issues with the paint that went over it? Did it remove all the nasty carpet glue?

I talked to a paint guy in CT and he says the 944 interior wasn’t actually painted in the factory, but any color in there was just overspray from the exterior paint. Is that True or False?

Finally, I went to school in Ann Arbor. Go Blue!

Skip - that interior is gorgeous.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:10 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sm
Ideola - that’s impressive work and you’re giving me ideas for my build. Now that it’s been few years, any further feedback about having the chassis media blasted? Any issues with the paint that went over it? Did it remove all the nasty carpet glue?

I talked to a paint guy in CT and he says the 944 interior wasn’t actually painted in the factory, but any color in there was just overspray from the exterior paint. Is that True or False?

"Media" is kinda vague but I can tell you that soda, certain other media that would even be considered on a complete tub strip will just bounce off the sound deadening "lizard skin".
We approached "dustless" blasting companies (high pressure water with suspended media), to their own admission, nope, won't get it off.
What I am talking about here is an entire tub, every nook and cranny stripped down to the metal for application of epoxy primer as a base for an all out, no holds barred race platform.
We have a friend that bought a new build GTB1 Cayman, that was media blasted. He returned car more than once to builder because at race speed with windows down he would nearly get blinded with flying remnants from the blasting as it worked it's way out of crevices, etc. The builder eventually had to replace the tub to meet the conditions of the purchase.
I wish the best for Ideola but in his primed tub pics, you can see media already on the floor and recesses in the chassis as it's probably in the roof framing, etc., everywhere there are double walled panels. If it ever dissipates 100%, it will take a long time.
We researched this very thoroughly, and the route we chose for two tubs we are doing, 944S and 968 is the method that burns off all material at 800F in a thermal oven, followed by high pressure water wash and then chemical dip. If you have the budget and the freedom of schedule to wait, they even have the clout to get your tub bathed in a 400V applied epoxy coat bath at a major USA Japanese car manufacturing plant's facility.

'72 911 in -

Dipped -

Coated -

T
Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by sm

On the factory painting, I have stripped my share of these cars and while the interior is not sprayed thoroughly, being a painter myself, there's no way that all the paint found inside the compartments is merely accidental over spray.

All cabs I think, but here are some historical shots of 968 painting leg of plant where they were made -

T
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
On the factory painting, I have stripped my share of these cars and while the interior is not sprayed thoroughly, being a painter myself, there's no way that all the paint found inside the compartments is merely accidental over spray.

All cabs I think, but here are some historical shots of 968 painting leg of plant where they were made -

T
T - your knowledge about these cars never ceases to amaze me. I emailed you a few times about painting my 968. If you have time later this year, let's talk!! I want someone with your knowledge and attention to the 944/968 details... Can you fit me into your schedule??
Old 07-06-2018, 01:19 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Originally Posted by sm
T - your knowledge about these cars never ceases to amaze me. I emailed you a few times about painting my 968. If you have time later this year, let's talk!! I want someone with your knowledge and attention to the 944/968 details... Can you fit me into your schedule??
I wish....., because that would mean all my projects and personal load would be resolved and I'd be ready to say "bring it on"....!

Later this year......, maybe.

Maybe.

T

Quick Reply: Pics of stripped interiors and race/custom dashes