Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2002, 03:10 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Conversion question...

Okay...I know everyone says that it will be better to sell an N/A and buy a Turbo (cheaper) than to convert the N/A to a Turbo. However, my mind is made up. The car has so much sentimental value that I will drive it until the wheels fall off. But in the mean time, I want it to go a lot faster. The only feasible way to get the power I want is to either do the V8 conversion (I'm more in favor of that) or Turbo it. I've talked with some people and there are some concerns that still worry about the V8. I've always been a Chevy fan, but I know what they are really capable off and I know they could tear up a lot of stuff in the car, even if its been prepped. I'm needing to know what all is required for the Turbo conversion. I think I know some stuff but I'm not for sure, so tell me everything I need. Appreciate any help offerred.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just don't get it for the amount of money and TIME/LABOR involved in such a conversion you could buy 951.

you just cant slap a turbo on that motor.

Pistons
trany
DME
ect....
Old 07-20-2002, 03:26 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

I know, I've already got a Turbo tranny on the way, I'm looking at a Turbo suspension, and I know where I can get some blown motors. Is that pretty much all that's needed? Just rebuild the engine, mount it up to the torque tube to the Turbo tranny? I plan on taking a long time on doing this cause I want to do it right, so since I'll be going the long way, I'm not concerned with spending a lot of money all at one time. Just work with me here.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:33 AM
Deepice
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Skip the turbo suspension, and go with an aftermarket set up

I think the torque tube and driveshaft is also diferent don't quote me on this .

and remember these motors are interfearance motors so if you buy a blown one be prepared there will be internal damage. this is not like a chevy where you machine the deck and head and slap in a new gasket.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:39 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Sorry to confuse, I meant aftermarket suspension. Just as long as there's not a piston sticking through the cylinder, my machinist/mechanic can work it. I'm looking at stroking it and boring it (just a hair over 2.9L). Custom pistons will handle the compression, and Holley's Commander ECU system (one of the best I've seen) will do the engine management. Already talked it over and it will work.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:53 AM
THUBER
Intermediate

Thumbs up

perhaps take a look at twm induction as well, they carry haltech systems.

also wonder if you might start with a 3.0 to begin with and go from there?
Old 07-20-2002, 04:00 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

I know of mostly of 2.5 Turbos, got any leads on a 3.0?

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2002, 04:47 AM
FSTPRSH
Pro

Does the 3.0 bolt onto the same mounts as the 2.5's? Also, are all 3.0 engine DOHC, or single?
Old 07-20-2002, 05:38 AM
Mello
Rennlist Member

Buy a 951, and keep the 944 too!
Old 07-20-2002, 05:38 AM
marksportcts
Burning Brakes

Your best bet is a Speedforce Racing Supercharger kit. I've been there and done that in terms of turbocharging the N/A motor/suspension/brakes/electronics. Suspension wise, you may need the turbo brakes, and allows you to upgrade to the Big Reds. Torque tube is the same as I have an '89 Turbo S tranny in my '86. I don't think it is possible to get to a 2.9L from a 2.5L block without resleeving/stroking or both. The only 3.0L turbo are the European 968 TS/TRS or custom engines, talk to Technodyne or Powerhaus. The 3.0L in North America are all DOHC, while the rare 3.0L turbo are 8Valve. Konstantin is selling a factory 968 TRS. I think the motor mounts are the same but you will need to figure out the electronics. I'm not too familiar with the Holley Commander in import apps much, I thought that they were mostly domestic cars.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:49 AM
930 under Restoration
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brad

I think the Porsche ad below is appropriate for this discussion. I did what you are doing now a few years back but not a Porsche. I converted a 90 Mazda Rx7 Convertible into a Turbo Convertible. The only reason I went to a that trouble was because Mazda never made an Turbo convertible RX7 so I knew it would be unique and that, to me, justified doing all the work. I had 2 complete cars though, sitting side by side. I basically had to swap......EVERYTHING. All the drivetrain , suspension, and the whole wiring harness. When I finally finished, I came to the realization that the uniqueness of the car did not justify the hell I went through to do it.

Hopefully you can convert it without the sam kind of nightmare I went through. If you really want a Turbo and a project, find a ragged 951 and restore it. At least that way you'll get the newer dash with an A/C system that really works.

Dave

Old 07-20-2002, 06:11 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Many people will tell you to buy a 951, etc... etc... If you have the money and are willing to do the work, making your car unique is worth it, but only if the uniqueness is that important. Which in my opinion, we drive porsches and there fore uniqueness is probably very important to us. I love telling people, "well, it's not quite a 944" some of them become amazed when I pop the hood and there is that 3ltr and at the other end of the tq tube I've got 6 fwrd gears. Indeed I could have bought a 968 for a few k more than I put into mine, but mine is even more unique. And to me the sentimental value is worth it. Me personally I'm not a chevy fan. I'd prefer to put some mopar under the hood, or ford, A wankle would REALLY be unique. I'm biased against GM because my dad worked on them for many a year and constantly spoke of how he hated GM factory quality. Not looking to start a flame with that, just my .02
Old 07-20-2002, 07:21 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

i just noticed:

that picture shows everything that is on a turbo but not on an N/A

SHAUN
Old 07-20-2002, 07:30 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

I say go for it. I mean, it's your car and sentimental value/attachment mean a lot. I've spent way too much on my N/A, but frankly I don't care. I's a hobby and I enjoy it. If I cared about resale value, I would have bought a 4-door Honda Accord.

I also second the Supercharger suggestion...

Tifo
Old 07-20-2002, 02:00 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skip the supercharger. A properly sized turbo will out perform a supercharger any day. The difference in compressor discharge temps can be 100 degrees F or more. Turbos are significantly more efficient and if they are sized right, lag will not be an issue.

Yes, upgrading the suspension and brakes are a good idea, but not necessary at the time of the conversion. That's a bunch of hype IMHO.

You're biggest problem is going to be engine management. Unless you swap in a 951 engine, DME, KLR, and wiring harness, you don't have a simple solution here (not that replacing the electronics is simple). You will need either someone who can work with you on a dyno to reprogram your DME or you will need a stand alone and learn how to program it. For this, you might find a good Japanese car shop. I know that will give people here some severe fits, but the Japanese car crowd does this all the time and you will probably find someone here who is not only more willing, but actually probably more experienced with this sort of thing. You'll have to do some homework first though. There are a lot of monkeys in the Japanese car crowd as well. But by doing some good homework, you should be able to find someone who really knows what they are doing.

If you don't lower the compression ratio you will likely want to hook up an aquamist system. They work wonders and I have several friends using this and pumping some serious power through turbo'd NA engines in their daily drivers.

In short, I think there is a mentality here that doesn't want to believe it can be done. It can. Hell, if you can supercharge an NA you can damned sure turbocharge it. The turbocharger is much easier on the engine (reference compressor discharge temps).

How far are you from Dallas? CTC Motorsports could probably handle this quite easily. They do both German and Japanese cars.

Quick Reply: Conversion question...