Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002 | 12:09 PM
Sajid
Banned

Post Parking Brake Adjustment

I tried adjusting my e-brake this weekend and was utterly stumped on where the "adjusting screw" is located. Maybe its looking at me dead in the face, but im just not seeing it. I have the factory manual printout for the procedure and the haynes manual (and surprisingly the haynes is more detailed) but all it says in either is:

1. remove rear wheels
2. release brake lever
3. push back brake pads
4. put a screwdriver in the hole to keep from spinning.
5. loosen adjusting screw to slacken the cable.
(no pictures, no diagrams)

there is a diagram in the haynes, but i just dont see it. Do I have undo something to see it or what?

Please help.
Old 08-19-2002 | 01:04 PM
RPG951S
Racer

>>4. put a screwdriver in the hole to keep from spinning.
>>5. loosen adjusting screw to slacken the cable.
(no pictures, no diagrams)

Uhh.. if we're taking about the adjustment at the wheels...the hole IS where the adjustment is done. The adjuster is a 'star' or gear type, with the face of the gears facing the hole in the rotor. You insert a screwdriver, and pivot, this turns the gear up/down to tighten/loosen the brake.

Tighten it to the point you can't turn the rear rotor, then loosen it a bit. I did mine (both sides) and tightened up the cable (at the handbrake lever), and now my car holds PERFECTLY, at two-three clicks, even on the steepest inclines.

Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2002 | 01:10 PM
User 462021
Banned

If I were you I would actually remove the rotor so you can see exactly where the adjustment is at. To me, that would be the easiest thing to do. Only thing you have to do is remove the caliper and thats real simple. Just take of the two 17mm bolts that hold it on. You may have to take the inside brake pad off as well.

Goodluck!
Old 08-19-2002 | 02:46 PM
Sajid
Banned

I knew it was something dumb like that. The instructions didnt really specify that. Either way, thanks. Ill try it when i get home..
Old 08-19-2002 | 06:51 PM
Sasha
Instructor

In hayes man. flip to replacing e-brake shoes page - it has a diagram of how the entire system works. This would give you an idea how it actually adjusts. Sometimes, (in my passanger's side case) the wheel got dirty enough and stuck - I couldn't move it without taking the rotor off. Driver's side adjusted just fine.

Hope this helps...

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Adjustment