Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo head unit opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 11:50 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I originally bought a Blau for tradition, and, because I didnt want a video-game-looking unit in my '80's dash! The Blau is understated, and simpler than most modern units. Not the best by far, but decent enough, and cool looking. I just want a better one than the one I have.

Can someone explain the logic of the "Keycard" security system?? I think it is moronic. You pull out the plastic card, and deactivate the radio. Thing is, it leaves the head unit sitting in the dash as bait for some crack-head to steal!? He wouldnt know it was missing the keycard when he breaks the window! Why not just make the face detachable!?

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 08-20-2002, 12:37 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just like some decks have an LED that blinks when you remove the face, on the Keycard Blau's the "tongue" that the card sits in blinks when the card is out.

[quote]If you push the parts where the LCDs are, the letters/numbers morph and smear.<hr></blockquote>

well duh, you're not supposed to do that. it's not a button.

another vote for the Toronto. blends very nicely with the interior. even a lot of bmw guys use them...

Old 08-20-2002, 12:42 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Toronto looks sweet in your S4! Very high-end stock looking! And that Batman keychain rules too!

Do you find radio reception is fine too?

Also--How do you like the 928? Is it much less reliable than the 944? I have loved those cars since Risky Business came out!
Old 08-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Sean
Drifting

I swapped my old Blaupunkt for a factory refurbished Becker CDR-220 unit - the kind you see in new 986 & 996's. Although I am sure there is more 'performance' to be had than the Becker, it's tough to beat the factory look. It really updated the interior nicely. And it plays CD's just fine, too!

Old 08-20-2002, 01:28 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Dave E -- Sent you a private message...
Old 08-20-2002, 03:02 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I would mention the two I was looking at last summer- the Kenwood 8017 & one of the newer Alpines (not sure of the specific model)- I ended up getting the Kenwood obviously- I believe the 9017 is the one w/MP3 capability but a little less power- maybe I should have bought it, but I don't think it has the color options, and it was a lot more $- that's the main reason I bought the 8017 (color options)- the 7017 has it too- 67 different background colors- different shades anyway- doesn't seem like that many, but there are a BUNCH- you also have a choice b/t green & red buttons. Anyway, the 8017 has more power I believe and less harmonic distortion, etc- it has 22 or 23watts per channel RMS (45w peak). The Alpine was a 60w unit (peak of course)- and they don't list RMS, so that was one reason I picked the Kenwood- it just kind of bugged me- I know it would probably still be higher than the Kenwood.

I'm happy w/the Kenwood, but I DID get to hear the same Alpine I was looking at, right after buying it- it sounded nice- really powerful- the sales guy said it was the Moffset that made it that way- he had it running one pair of MB Quartz 6.5's and he promised it was using NO amp- I swear I think he was lying b/c it was STRONG! Anyway, I'm installing a small 4 chan amp in mine to give it the extra power- I didn't want to have to do it, but ended up blowing the stock 6.5" rears and bought some Infinity Kappas- had a wooden adapter plate made- they really need the extra power evidently. The price was ~$329 for both the Kenwood and Alpine- the Alpine looked okay, but I really like the programmable colors of the Kenwood. You can do MUCH better at places like The Zeb online- I bought the Kappas from them for $99! They had the 8017 for ~$250....

Good luck...
Old 08-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Joel
Instructor

I replaced the stock cassette deck with a Blaupunkt RD168 Florida. Now that it is 3 months out of warranty the front left channel blew. I think the quality of these decks suck! I ordered it from midwest electronics. Sure it wasn't very expensive, but I figured I should get more than 15 months out of a deck that is barely used. And BTW, most of these decks are made in China or Indonesia.

If it were my money I'd find another brand to use.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:28 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
&lt;&lt;&lt;well duh, you're not supposed to do that. it's not a button.&gt;&gt;&gt;

Well, Its not something you run into in many other head units. I can poke and push at my Sony all day and I dont get that morphing or oozing. I agree, its not something you would do on purpose, but I think it says something about the build quality of the Blaus. The film or covering between you and the LCDs is very thin. Dont get me wrong. I like Blau. I walked into the audio dealer hellbent on getting a Blau, but found other choices to be better built for my money. Keeping the look relatively factory was important to me too so I was limited in my choices somewhat.
Old 08-20-2002, 03:34 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question

UD--I saw the Xplode Sony heads...I would think using a remote while you are driving to change the radio volume would be a pain! And, when the face rotates to black, it looks...like an expensive new Sony Xplode radio in sleep mode! Not too much of a theftproof design!?
Old 08-20-2002, 05:48 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey all, Im in the market for a new cd player as my kenwood mask screen quit working.
I want a mp3 compatible cd player as i like music, have thousands of mp3s and have a cable modem...
Im looking at the new kenwood (love the mask..and i lose faces to easily) or this alpine..who thinks this will hit the dashboard part right above the din stereo plate???
It retracts out and is 30% bigger than a standard din. I can get it brand new for half the price of what alpine quotes. $650
Flame on!

Old 08-20-2002, 06:17 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know what the designers at Alpine are on, but those new crooked-faced designs look like they belong in a '79 Datsun!
Old 08-20-2002, 06:19 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 08-20-2002, 07:49 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!

now that's why i went with a 3 year old Blau, almost every new HU out there looks like ***. but even this is pretty tame compared to others...
Old 08-20-2002, 07:56 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts
AndyK-

I dont use the remote. Dont even know where it is actually. With the tinted windows and the black face, its nearly indistinguishable from a din cover, but the same argument could be made for any flip face device...that its a stereo with the face flipped. And I have better things to do than tote around my car stereo face all day in my Umbros or have to dig out my stereo card every time i want to turn the radio on. My Blau Monterrey was detachable and never detached/reattached well and just one more thing to lose for me. Nevermind it couldnt tune in a clearchannel station if it was parked under the tower and I was holding reynolds wrap to it.

I still have the Monterrey though if anyone wants to make an offer. At least I saw it in my closet last year under the Electronic Stratego.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
mcavour
Racer

I pretty much agree with all you guys that want to keep a factory look. Personally I have a Blau in my 944, but I am considering a Clarion. They are not that off in the looks department and they certainly kick-@$$ in performance.... Blaus do leave a lot to be desired outside of the OEM look... Check these 1 out... <a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-rml3vtMP8se/ProdView.asp?s=0&g=300&id=morephotos&i=020DXZ925&pi=3&display=L" target="_blank">Crutchfield</a>

Quick Reply: Stereo head unit opinions?