Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Need for Speed: Shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the G25 albiet in a much fancier 'box'.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by fast924S
I have a very similar setup (except my seat doesn't move.) 3x monitors, G25, pressure-sensitive brakes, the works. I use it solely for iRacing. I've played GTR and GTR2 and they are pretty good... in fact, I thought they were amazing - until I joined iRacing Now... everything else just seems like a game.

I'd still consider picking up Shift to play on the 360 when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to move from the couch. I still enjoy the occasional round of Forza. But I play it for what it is: a game, not a sim.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:38 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I want to try iRacing RIGHT NOW haha
Old 09-24-2009, 04:46 AM
Banshee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya at some point i had realized that Iracing would eventually be mentioned once the thread had its rounds, i would LOVE to try iracing for a while, i just cant believe how shafted you get.

I mean seriously come on....20 bucks...ok 10 -20 bucks for each track and/or car? WTF? Ya you get a package for your initial subscription, but if you want to get any farther in the game once you've gotten the Solstice racing down and everything else, then you pay another fee equal to your subscription just to get that car series or track? Ridiculous to me.

I think the best direction to go in is this. Simply because there is finally a game (and i say "game" for a reason) that has the G25 so in tuned with the game, like Shift for example, it makes the experience so much better. And yet were talking about a recent Need for Speed title here...so on top of that its easy to say Shift is the best title out so far if more realism is the thing you like. Ya you will never be able to compare it to Iracing because Iracing itself is literally..not a game. It is a straight up online simulation.

But Shift has its moments that kicks the **** out of the little kids who want to go around corners at 230 mph and actually makes them think a little bit....did i mention the G25 sets up perfectly with Shift? Lol, its all in preference and i am really curious as to why the Developers wanted to go as arcadey as they did with Shift, being the developers that they are.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:44 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jump on in guys. I've only got about $200 into iRacing for content and i'm having a blast. I think you would find it's well worth the money.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Banshee
Instructor

Lol.......

After all this is a forum gathering for 20ish year old FUN cars, i think ill spend my 200$ on a new dashboard...or maybe some new carpet! Ooo that would be nice lol.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

alright...just got my G25 from FedEx today and I'm not sure if my boys don't love it more than I do. They did a killer job on this thing...my wife sat down and drove it and she normally hates these things (we have a wheel for the XBOX but it's nowhere near as good as this thing) but was really impressed with how much it felt like a car.

Now, I'm saving my money to go back down and have some fun in the Tier 1 cars...driving around Lambo's and Bugatti's at 180mph+ honestly just numbs you after a while and you kinda lose the feeling of what it's like to 'drive'.

That said, anyone that has "NFS:Shift" know if there's a way to force the clutch on? Even with it set to automatic clutch 'off' in the settings and manual shift you can still cheat and just shift...I can't seem to tell a performance difference either. I was suprised with that setting on that the car would even change gears without the clutch depressed.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

alright...just got my G25 from FedEx today and I'm not sure if my boys don't love it more than I do. They did a killer job on this thing...my wife sat down and drove it and she normally hates these things (we have a wheel for the XBOX but it's nowhere near as good as this thing) but was really impressed with how much it felt like a car.

Now, I'm saving my money to go back down and have some fun in the Tier 1 cars...driving around Lambo's and Bugatti's at 180mph+ honestly just numbs you after a while and you kinda lose the feeling of what it's like to 'drive'.

That said, anyone that has "NFS:Shift" know if there's a way to force the clutch on? Even with it set to automatic clutch 'off' in the settings and manual shift you can still cheat and just shift...I can't seem to tell a performance difference either. I was suprised with that setting on that the car would even change gears without the clutch depressed.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Banshee
Instructor

Yes choinga, unfortunately i have had the same problem...although i do believe there is a performance decrease, it has been a pet peeve of mine for games since playing GTR2 a few years ago. It is the same way.

While its not really a performance decrease, there is a difference from what i can tell when you turn automatic clutch off, and continue to drive without using the clutch. Basically, if you shift and use the clutch, then great, as soon as you release its activated into its gear. If you shift without the clutch (and automatic clutch is turned off) then there is a delay, and when you get back on the gas the clutch hasn't disengaged quite yet and you will generally rev up before getting back into gear. Funny enough out of all games, NFS Prostreet was the one that really screwed you if you didn't use your clutch right...you could hear the gears grinding and you would have no control for a few seconds.

Again, with GTR2, it is the same way except there is literally no punishment for not using the clutch. The only difference is in GTR2 while you can shift up just fine, its easily noticeable on some tracks and cars, depending on the car and track, it will be absolutely necessary to heel-toe back down the gear/s as the game physics are respectable enough in that area. So for both games...i just got used to using the clutch no matter what
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Banshee
Ya at some point i had realized that Iracing would eventually be mentioned once the thread had its rounds, i would LOVE to try iracing for a while, i just cant believe how shafted you get.

I mean seriously come on....20 bucks...ok 10 -20 bucks for each track and/or car? WTF? Ya you get a package for your initial subscription, but if you want to get any farther in the game once you've gotten the Solstice racing down and everything else, then you pay another fee equal to your subscription just to get that car series or track? Ridiculous to me.

I think the best direction to go in is this. Simply because there is finally a game (and i say "game" for a reason) that has the G25 so in tuned with the game, like Shift for example, it makes the experience so much better. And yet were talking about a recent Need for Speed title here...so on top of that its easy to say Shift is the best title out so far if more realism is the thing you like. Ya you will never be able to compare it to Iracing because Iracing itself is literally..not a game. It is a straight up online simulation.

But Shift has its moments that kicks the **** out of the little kids who want to go around corners at 230 mph and actually makes them think a little bit....did i mention the G25 sets up perfectly with Shift? Lol, its all in preference and i am really curious as to why the Developers wanted to go as arcadey as they did with Shift, being the developers that they are.
Shafted?

Ok you're looking at it the wrong way. And it's entirely possible that iRacing just may not be for you (and I don't mean to sound arrogant here.)

iRacing is different from all the other sims, in that it's NOT about the cars. Every other sim out there is all about the ability to drive 52382347 different cars, and with a few small exceptions, always around the SAME tracks with similar (lame) physics.

iRacing is about the RACING. And it is some of the BEST racing I have EVER experienced in my life (and I used to race in real life.) Once you get into the race, you don't really give a crap what kind of car you're driving, since everyone else is driving the same thing. It's about trying to get the guy in front of you, and trying hold off the guy behind you.

I come out of a 60 minute race SOAKED in sweat. I find myself in the exact same mental "zone" I did when racing in real life. I had a friend of mine stop by the other day that I haven't seen in a long time. He runs a showroom stock Neon with Midwest Council. He's always said that PC games are games and that's that. He took a few laps in the Jetta TDi at Road America, and his first comment was that he felt like he was really there, trying just as hard as he would in his Neon.

The cars behave exactly how you'd expect them to (like a REAL car.) They corner, slide, bob and weave just like the real ones do. And the tracks are 2nd to none. I've had the fortunate experience of putting some laps down at some of these tracks and ALL my reference points are there. Daytona, West Horseshoe, start braking at the dip. Guess what - the dip is there. Road America, T1, there is a dip in the pavement a few feet off the inside of T1. It's there.

There are penalty systems in place to keep the driving clean. The few people you see out there bitching about the dirty driving are either a) running the oval series or b) never made it much past the rookie class (where people are still learning to drive the cars properly.)

If you look at iRacing as a race simulator with a true race series... it's WELL worth it. Including all my hardware, and the sim itself with all the road racing content, I have probably $1500 in my setup. When I was racing in real life, I'd spend triple that, easy, on a single weekend.

Plus... what else am I gonna do in the winter months when the 951 is parked?
Old 09-25-2009, 12:01 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Jim has it right. My heart is usually racing on the iRacing grid, especially if i'm on pole. It really is a whole different experience. My friend Josh Hurley got me hooked on this game. He was the TDI Cup champion last year. If it's good enough for him its good enough for me.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO you can't beat Grand Prix Legends. It's one of the most difficult and realistic sims out there. If Nascar is your thing then NR2003 is definitely the way to go. I haven't tried iRacing yet but I'm sure it would put both of those I mentioned and any other sims to shame (It's been developed by some of the same people as those). I just don't have the kind of time or money to invest in it at this time.

As for the consoles, I have had great fun with Forza 1 and 2. I'm sure the third game will be great, but no game on a console is ever going to match the realism found on some of the PC titles. They aren't marketable to those types of crowds.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

I just tried out iracing.com - it's good, but hard as hell. I have zero experience both racing for real and I literally just got a wheel/pedal combo a couple days ago...sheepishly I'll admit I don't even know how to heel-to-toe downshift (well, I do in principle...but can't execute it well...yet).

I spin those cars out on pretty much every track on about every other corner. Certainly that doesn't happen in 'real life'...I take tighter turns in my 951 at 80mph than I do in these cars at 40mph and I'm flying all over the track doing 360's...
Old 09-25-2009, 09:36 PM
Banshee
Instructor

See Omni i totally agree with your point, well all the points for that matter. Just to add to that you talk about the certain parts of the track that are there that you recognize in real life, and if someone hasnt googled or youtubed iracing yet, its explained that Iracing is a full on simulator...to the point that if using a G25 wheel, every inch of the track is going to be felt on your wheel. This is because of the laser scanned technology put into every inch of space on the track.

My point earlier about being "shafted"...yes well i have to admit to say its kind of a powerful word. My only reason for having such an opinion about it is probably because i made the mistake of forgetting iracing is not a game.

EVEN still though, you have to realize with such an easily accessible function like Iracing, they pull you in with a measly monthly subscription, and while racing the slow beginner cars (which i have no problem with), EVENTUALLY, i can guarantee you will want to race some more challenging and faster cars, not to mention different tracks. But in order to do so, you have to be somewhat more than financially stable just to buy 1 car series, and a new track (whooop de doo) for 40 bucks total.

One last thing that bothers me Omni, is you mentioned its not for me. So ..basically because i am not padded out the *** with cash, that means i would never enjoy the thrill of racing other people in the most innovative simulation service to date? I know thats not what your implying, but it shows how irrelevant your comment was that its just not for me. Maybe its because im just not doing so well on money terms right now to be paying 15 a month or whatever it is for a small amount of limited content but unlimited hours of enjoyment. It was simply an opinionated comment that i made that the extra content that imo should already be accessible to you, is overpriced.

OTHERWISE, id be all over it
Old 09-25-2009, 09:53 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

I play iRacing on a $500 PC. You don't need to be loaded. Also, you get the SRF now as a free car and it isn't slow by any means.

Quick Reply: OT: Need for Speed: Shift