Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear braking force booster valve-rear pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 11:43 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts
Post Rear braking force booster valve-rear pad wear

My 85.5 na has 30,000 miles. I am the original owner and a mechanic. The car has had 3 front brake jobs through the years. Two sets of porsche pads and just recently PBR metal masters up front with new rotors. The question is that the car still has the original 17 year old pads the car came with. They have very little wear. I am going to change them to the PBR's now as well but I am wondering if I can get more braking out of the rear circuit.

As far as I know, the 944 and the 944S had basicly the same braking system. The 944S without abs had a braking force booster screwed into the rear circuit of the master cyl.

The turbo had one as well but with a different pressure. But I am assuming that is because the turbo had different calipers and rotors.

What is the rear/ front pad wear like on the 944S.

Has anyone put the 944S booster valve on the 8V 944 NA????
Old 08-18-2002, 11:55 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
Can't answer your question directly, but here's some input... I use front/rear pads at a ratio of about 3 to 1. Seems pretty normal. I go through a lot as I do a number of DE's. Also, I would recommend changing the rear pads to match your fronts. It's very easy on these brakes (you won't believe how small the rear pads are). In my experience, Porsche did a pretty good job right out of the box in matching the bias, but left a little more tendency for front lock-up (read safer). Just my 2 cents.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 08-19-2002, 12:00 AM
mideastmafia
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got some stainless steel brake lines for the rear of an NA that i could sell you.. CHEAP

let me know if your interested

mideastmafia@hotmail.com

SHAUN
Old 08-19-2002, 12:12 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Dave,
Do you have a 8V NA or a 944S??

From what I have heard 3 to 1 is about right. But I have spoken to an S owner that claims he uses pads 2:1 front rear. It is strange to me that the S had the booster and the standard 944 did not given their near exact braking system, weight, and tires/rims. It looks to me that it was done to improve braking.
Old 08-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts
I have an 8V (no rear brake valve). As you said, the bias in the 16V may differ and use rear pads a bit more. Ride height can have something to do with it as well. That said, the majority of my brake wear is track-induced. I could drive for over a year with a set of pads on the street. On the track, I used to get 1 day out of the MetalMasters in the front. I now get about 3-4 track days from the KFP Magnums. If it's a street only car or street with rare track, the MetalMasters are hard to beat (and they are dirt cheap). I just got tired of changing them at the track all the time.

Keep the shiny side up,
Old 08-19-2002, 11:24 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

My car has never been tracked so the metal masters seem to work good on the street. The first time you apply the brakes cold they are a bit numb but as soon as they get warm they work great.

I just realized that I didnt see that you listed your car model on your sig yesterday. Sorry for that.

Glad to see another stone gray met. car. I still think that it was one of the nicest colors that porsche put on the 944 cars. I havent seen too many of them though.

Quick Reply: Rear braking force booster valve-rear pad wear