Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

s2 conversion into '83 NA - question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 AM
DKillaPorsche
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2 conversion into '83 NA - question

Hey all,

I am doing a 3.0L S2 conversion into my '83. All parts are on their way and currently prepping the car.

Just a quick question (i have tried searching already) for those of you who have done the work - is there any need to replace the fuse box, etc or is the DME and associated harness is all that is required to swap?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:40 AM
DANNiE
Instructor

If I recall right the early model 944s are CIS-E maybe its the 924 which means they have an Air Flow Meter Plate built into the air box with the fuel distributor atop it... I used to hi-jack these to put on my VWs... so to answer your question:

if it dosent have CIS-E maybe not so sure youll most likely need an engine wire harness to DCM in the least...

if it dose then:

YES You will need a fuse panel and wire harness and maybe even a dash cluster... You may -depending on how good your wiring skills are- be able to wire the loose ends into the current fuse panel but from my VW swap days recollection you will most likely need a fuse panel and harness... depends on how much of the new system goes through the panel... might have been easier to just buy an 88 and later S/S2 16 Valve car...

You could always just leave the current cylinder head and fuel and wire system and put the 3L block under it... the CIS-E system is fully capable of supporting such displacement... and if you need more fuel you can always tinker around with regulators from larger displacement Benzs with CIS-E...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

all 944s had motronic EFI.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
smokin_944
Racer

Hmmm, I was under the impression all you needed was the DME box, the engine wiring harness and the engine. Lots of guys transplant 3.0 liter engines, be they S2 engines or 968 engines into early cars. I've never heard one mention changing fuse panels and such. I am contemplating a transplant for my car and the Porsche guru here has never mentionned it. I guess a little research is in order.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:39 AM
DKillaPorsche
Advanced

I was just posting my thoughts to check to see if anyone else was the wiser.

I have had a look at the wiring diagrams and have concluded the fuse panel largely has little direct impact on enginer operation - except for the DME relay, etc, etc. Either way i have literally everything bar the shell in a container on a ship somewhere as we speak so i will find out soon enough.

Will try to post back what i find out so it is recorded and definative.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

The fuel lines come from the passenger side in the s2 and from the drivers in the early 944, so youll need to adapt the fuel up. Part of the DME bundle goes to the main bundle in the car - they use different plugs, so - you'll have to get two plugs of the same kind and splice the wires on. The temperature sending unit gauge has two wires going to the gauge on the s2, only one on the early 944. The s2 has an external signal amplifier for the ignition driver which moves it outside the dme box as it was in the early 944. You will have to get this ignition amplifier and bolt it on and wire it to your s2 bundle somewhere in the engine bay near the coil. The air filter sits inside the front bib which is dimensionally bigger and removable on the s2 - and not on the early 944. You will have to re-plumb the intake with a K&N somewhere. The DME computer sits in the passenger footwell on the s2 and under the drivers feet in the early 944, so the entire bundle will be too long and you will struggle to fit the dme plug through the hole on the early 944 and feed it in under the drivers footwell. When you do - you'll have about 3 feet of extra wire to figure out where to cram. The early 944 uses manual controls for the HVAC, wheras the s2 has power vacuum controls for it. Youll need some heater hose and the valves from your early car to adapt everything. The s2 has an oil cooler and needs it, the N/A has no immediate place to put one, so youll have to build a bracket. The firewall is shaped a little different in the early car - there is a drain for the well that the windshield wiper sits in. Its a pipe that pokes out towards the engine. You may or may not have to cut this off flush with the firewall, as it may interfere with the motor. There is a provision for a low oil sender on the s2, and not on the early N/A. The radiator line to the head on the 8V N/A is different then the 16V. Your tach wont read to the redline (kinda cool). Thats all I can think of right now. Buts its alot -not just a bolt and go. Last but not least - your clutch and transmission wont handle any hard starts with the s2 motor. GOOD LUCK!

Quick Reply: s2 conversion into '83 NA - question