Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! ... Car got towed!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! ... Car got towed!!

The stupid *** manager at the hotel I'm staying at had my car towed today because it hadn't moved in 4 days.... I ride with a friend to work. I'm a paying guest at this place

She's paying for it to be returned since it was her mistake, but now I have to worry about it being F'ed up!! I work late, so I can't just go pick it up....

I called the towing yard and they said it went on a roll back, so I know it wasn't dragged across town, but it had to have been dragged out of the parking spot.

What should I look for? Whats the likeliest place they drug it from, and how bent is it? suspension? sway bars? I've never had anything towed before, so I don't know how they do ****. I'm sure they don't car about my car as much as I do. How bad could they have torn up the bottom of my car??

How about the engine being turned backwards? It was dragged backwards out of the spot, and I'm not sure if it was backed on the truck or what, but its possible for the engine to be turned backwards for 40 or 50ft.

I'm so F'ing mad right now, I want to bash someones head in!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 AM
barkerd427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably don't have too much to worry about. IIRC they have to get into the car to take it out of gear and make sure the parking brake is off. If your car was in 1st and they drug it backwards then I would consult a mechanic to see what could have been damaged. If your e-brake was on then I would definitely check it. I would also make sure everything is still there inside the car. Make sure you find out from the tow driver exactly what he did. The one time I had my car towed the driver was more than happy to talk about it. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

I disagree, if they are not familiar with the proper locations to connect to your car, they will hook to things like aluminum control arms which can be damaged.
DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY!
Have your car checked by a competent Porsche mechanic and make the Hotel pay for everything.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:22 AM
smokin_944
Racer

RDL is right. Towing a 944 is not for an inexperienced tow truck driver. Very often, the front valence takes a beating once the winch starts to lift the car or the hook tears something off the undercarriage. Do a full inspection of the car when you get it back. Just my .02 cents.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
aben8057
Drifting

time to upgrade to LSD....hmmmm
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
Mac 86 951
Advanced

Check for "new" scratches on body work or damage from any tow cable to see what corner the hooked to, easiest parts to attach to are the breakable ones.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:11 AM
thewerxracing
Banned

Originally Posted by RDL
I disagree, if they are not familiar with the proper locations to connect to your car, they will hook to things like aluminum control arms which can be damaged.
DO NOT TAKE THIS LIGHTLY!
Have your car checked by a competent Porsche mechanic and make the Hotel pay for everything.
Word.
Having a 944 Towed several times taught me exactly where to tow from. And exactly where to TELL the tow truck driver where to tow from.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

When I check into hotels, they always ask for the car make and model - sometimes even the plate #. If they asked your for that stuff and *still* towed your car, I'd go absolutely ballistic on them. You can probably even get the woman fired.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

check the front swaybar they almost always hook on to it
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

there is really nothing to hook a cable up to without hitting the valance when its a tow truck. look at sway bar, control arms, rear axles...etc
Old 09-18-2009, 10:00 PM
AKCJ
Instructor

When I had my car towed it went on to the roll back backwards. The front did not drag. It was relatively painless but I was right there to watch (and help hook it up). I would hate to have my car towed if I wasn't there to watch. I've seen tow truck drivers do some pretty lame stuff. There are a lot of good drivers and then there are the other kind.

All you can do is make a really good inspection and make a claim for any damage. At this point you should take the time to drive your car back - don't have it delivered.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Ok, I just picked up my car. I called them and told them to just leave it out front of the tow lot, instead of towing it back.

It looks like they put it on the truck backwards, and used the rear bumper to tow it from. The paint on the bottom of the bumper is gone, but it doesn't look like it tweeked.

They did slimjim the door and put it in neutral (I assume). There was dirt on the front seat.

It seems to drive fine, but I'll check it out better tomorrow.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I'll report back if I find anything wrong with it.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM
944kid
Banned

**** them. Make some calls and have the hotel pay for a thorough car inspection, and if there's anything damaged on the car from the tow, have the hotel pay for it. Don't be a puss about it, they screwed up, they pay for it.

Also, make note to not go to that hotel again. Next time you travel, leave a note on the dash with the date(s) you'll be staying, and even leave your room number if you're brave.

Good luck! Hopefully nothing is damaged.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely let the hotel managers know you will send them a bill for the touch up at a body shop.

No need to be an ******* about it. She made a mistake.. Have you ever made a mistake at work? I thought so.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:49 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I need to get a better look at it tomorrow. If I find significant damage, I will defiantly be having them fix it.

I'm not going to worry about the paint on the bumper though. Not only is my paint not perfect anyway, but its not worth my time. I'm only going to be in town for a couple of weeks, and I'm working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Yeah the lady screwed up, but its not like I had to fight with her either. She was very apologetic, and got my car out ASAP. **** happens.

As long as its structurally sound, nothing is bent or nicked, then I'll forget about it. The door locks, ignition and seat are all fine. It shifts normally, and had instant oil pressure. Nothing from the inside is missing (Had the V1, GPS, Jump Box, and some cash inside). Could have been a LOT worse.

Quick Reply: AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! ... Car got towed!!