Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leaking out. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
You didn't answer my question about the temp gauge. Is it showing normal?

If it's normal, you might have a leak somewhere in the system which will prevent it from pressurizing, and allow the coolant to boil. Have it pressure tested.
Sorry. the temp during a 20 minute DE run appeared to be normal.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper31
Yes on my Turbo. I did replace the cap and this is what was happening after. I dont think the turbo fan was on when i saw the coolant bubbling.
What shiners is getting at is the turbo water pump runs after you shut the car off and will give the impression of bubbling coolant in the expansion tank. You can hear it running. If it shuts off and your coolant stops bubbling it's normal. It runs anywhere from few seconds to a minute or more depending how hot the coolant is coming out of the turbo waterjacket.

Whatever you smelled could have been residual leakage. Everytime I drain coolant i flush the entire area where coolant came in contact with using the garden hose. usually saves me some false alarms.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
What shiners is getting at is the turbo water pump runs after you shut the car off and will give the impression of bubbling coolant in the expansion tank. You can hear it running. If it shuts off and your coolant stops bubbling it's normal. It runs anywhere from few seconds to a minute or more depending how hot the coolant is coming out of the turbo waterjacket.

Whatever you smelled could have been residual leakage. Everytime I drain coolant i flush the entire area where coolant came in contact with using the garden hose. usually saves me some false alarms.
I know about the fan and I think that it wasn't on. I will try again today. There was definitely a few drips under the car when I took it out. I wil drive it a little harder today and see what happens.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Listen to the banana -- a pressure tester is easy to use and will locate that leak in very short order. Sears stocks a couple versions, including this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ressure+tester
Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
8ball
Track Day

Make sure that you cool down on the cool down lap. Then roll thru the paddock and let everything come down in temp. Even though the temp gauge looks good on track, everything is getting pretty hot and if you just go from WOT to turning it off, it can't take it. Make sure you cool it down before shutting it off.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:08 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Pressurized the system and there was coolnt leading out onth ehead belw the manifold near the base of the oil fill tube. It was leaking once before from the coolant line tha goes into the head but I tightenend that up. The coolant is collecting inthe same place though.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:37 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Took the manifold off today and found the leak. It is leaking from the water hose flange at the back of the cylinder head. Looks like I just have to replace that gasket...
Old 09-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Took the manifold off today and found the leak. It is leaking from the water hose flange at the back of the cylinder head. Looks like I just have to replace that gasket...
If by chance you've removed the cycling valve bracket, make sure you use shorter bolts on that flange. The stock bolts bottom out in the holes without the bracket, and can cause that leak.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
If by chance you've removed the cycling valve bracket, make sure you use shorter bolts on that flange. The stock bolts bottom out in the holes without the bracket, and can cause that leak.
If the cycling valve is that little cylindrical thing sitting on the bracket I did remove the bracket. Do i need shorter bolts if I am installing the bracket again? Sorter bolts would be great as I am expecting it to be a PIA to get back on.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

If the cycling valve is that little cylindrical thing sitting on the bracket I did remove the bracket. Do i need shorter bolts if I am installing the bracket again? Sorter bolts would be great as I am expecting it to be a PIA to get back on.
Right, that's the thing. It's probably leaking because the bolts bottomed out without the bracket, leaving the flange looser than it needs to be. If you put the bracket back, stock bolts are fine. Without the bracket, use bolts a 5mm or so shorter.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Right, that's the thing. It's probably leaking because the bolts bottomed out without the bracket, leaving the flange looser than it needs to be. If you put the bracket back, stock bolts are fine. Without the bracket, use bolts a 5mm or so shorter.
It was leaking with the bracket on.. After I tightened the bolts it seemed to leak worse.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking out. Help.