Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I did the torsion bar delete this weekend.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM
ArthurPE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
If you want better handling without messing with the ride, the solution is beefy sway bars. You can get "M030" sway bars, which are the stiffest that Porsche sold with the 944, or go big time with Tarett adjustable sways.

PS: I have a pair of 250# x 7 inch x 2.25 ID springs looking for a home if anyone's interested.
nice...very good suggestion...I hadn't thought of that route
ride under no load steady state stays the same, as it loads up during cornering it stiffens up to reduce roll...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

I guess because I have an S2 I dont see the need for the delete since im not racing it on the track... However I get your drift of doing since you say it requires hours of tuning to get it dialed in and since i like racing cars i get your point when your on the track and do a test lap and know you need a little here or more there it makes sense to just be able to pop the wheels off and set the ride height... so i get your point now...

From what I know of guys that used to race chevys on the circle jerk track out in hialeah they all add torsion bars to the car; so i would think that porsche had something in mind when they put them on the car...

I was just reading the thread on the guy who made the mazda control arms fit the 944 and it sounds like finding a way to make adjustable torsion bars would be a better idea than anything else...

Just my thoughts...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:15 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure they werent adding traction bars to eliminate axle wrap on a leaf sprung rear end??
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 PM
DANNiE
Instructor

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
are you sure they werent adding traction bars to eliminate axle wrap on a leaf sprung rear end??
Yup helps prevent unwanted twisting in the rear end since all they are doing is "another left turn..!" LoL But like I said before Im sure there is a reason for them and making some adjustable ones would be something i might try and take a tinker at in due time...

But I can understand the time factory at the race track...
Old 09-14-2009, 10:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well most american cars w/ torsions are easily adjustable w/ a bolt. Not so w/ the porsche torsions. 450/600 should be a good setup, you may need to set your rear shocks pretty soft to compensate-or stiffen the front on some tracks.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:59 AM
hobiecat
Rennlist Member

Hey Greg...I'm interested in the spring plates if you still have them. Swapping out the T-bars is my next job after I get the front end reassembled. Might save me some time if I prep the plates (i.e. burn off the bushings) ahead of time. PM sent.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by hobiecat
Hey Greg...I'm interested in the spring plates if you still have them. Swapping out the T-bars is my next job after I get the front end reassembled. Might save me some time if I prep the plates (i.e. burn off the bushings) ahead of time. PM sent.
Done. No rush just let me know.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Done. No rush just let me know.
UPDATE: I bled my brakes and was able to take the car out last night for a real test drive. To review, I went from the stock t-bars with 250# coilovers to no t-bars and 600# coilovers.

The ride is firmer in the tail, but not rock-hard. The old combo setup had a lot of clanking and jangling b/c the springs would come unseated when turning into driveways. The rear end is quieter now. I couldn't do any real handling tests, but I want to do an alignment before I really push things.

On the downside, I goofed by switching from 7" to 6" rear springs for two reasons. First, I had to spin the threaded collars all the way up in order to get a respectable ride height. The top collar is off the threads. That's no good. Also, I felt the rear bottom out over a big speed hump. Not a big issue, but with 600# springs I shouldn't be bottoming over anything. I've got an email in to Paragon Products to see if they'll do an exchange. I hope so.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jason offered to swap my front springs if i needed

Last edited by thirdgenbird; 09-15-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
jason offered to sway my front springs if i needed
I've had nothing but great experiences with Paragon. No glitches and always responsive. A simple swaP would be great.

Quick Reply: Well, I did the torsion bar delete this weekend.