Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold start stumble for couple seconds and then everything is fine

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 AM
mike10562004
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes helped me out too
Old 10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
The spark plug hole doesn't face the bottom part of the cylinder though - where all the water would be sitting.
Originally Posted by supes6
I guess that would explain why I just tried the dowel method and didn't find any water...
Yeah, sorry, should have been more specific. The part about wrapping a paper towel or shop rag over it should have been explained better - you need to leave a 2 or 3" "tail" and aim for the passenger's side with it - that gets you to the bottom.

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Pressurize the cooling system for a couple of hours (even overnight) with a tester and then search the cylinders.
That's not really necessary - running the car to temperature and parking it overnight is what's causing the issue, which may be coolant or may be fuel. By duplicating the conditions, you are doing an accurate test. Besides, parking your car after having it up to temperature _IS_ a cooling system pressure test (at slightly lower pressures than you might do with a "proper" pressure tester).
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I just finished last weekend with the head gasket job. My old head gasket looked pretty good and didn't show any signs of leaks into the cylinders. Also some carbon buildup on the pistons, which I'm told would have been cleaned off if there was water leaking in and burning off. So, it looks like the headgasket wasn't the source of the stumble problem, although I did need to pull it to drill out a broken exhaust stud. I'm still not sure why I was so low on coolant.. could be I forgot to turn the heat on when I bled the system but I can't remember.

So with that said, I have a new theory on the stumbling problem (which is still there). Now that it's getting colder out it seems to be a little worse and I'm back to looking at the DME temp sensor. I have a new sensor installed but I'm wondering if the old wiring could be a problem. Take a look at this thread here
Old 11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks supes, Let us know what you find on the connector and how you fix it. I posted on the other thread, I know it is 3 + years old but worth a shot.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

chasing the same freaking problem for 4 years now...
also replaced everything except the fuel line screw thingee. hopefully someone finds the actual problem.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Until someone proves me wrong I'm still going to (wishfully) lean towards something wrong with the open-loop function and the fuel being too rich.

Maybe I can hook my car up to the smog machine when it's cold and stumbling, and watch the emissions as it stumbles. High HC could indicate rich mixture... what could indicate steam? Low CO2?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i was wanting to test the hose to charcoal can problem on start up....but with the weather getting colder here, things got worse....i "found" an air leak under the manifold or around the throttle body.

i can't seem to pin it down, but i tightened my hose clamps with no different results.

can the idle stabilizer body go bad? when i replaced mine, i replaced the hoses too, i know they are in close proximity, but do not look cut up or anything.

has anyone else cured their problem before winter hit?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been a lot of talk about the ICV. Below is a way to test it. Hope this is a help to you all.

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/icv.html

http://the944.com/main.htm

Cheers,
Larry
Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
ccg951
Track Day

Default same cold start issue.....

Found this thread as I'm in the same boat. If it is below 59 deg. F outside my '87 951 will not start. 75K miles and runs fine once it starts save for a slight "lean" hesitation for maybe 2-3min. in the morning. Have replace most of the vacum lines, replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor last night, no improvement. Installed fuel pressure gauge at rail and psi seems fine.

DME Temp sensor replaced this summer and had no effect on cold engine hesitation. Going to check DME temp sensor wires this week and install original DME temp sensor as test.

I suspect my issue is a lean condition. I believe this could be verified with a very small wiff of starting fluid or evern a small wiff of fuel sprayed into the intake. If this works then I just need to figure out what is causing the lean condition.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:58 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ccg951
Found this thread as I'm in the same boat. If it is below 59 deg. F outside my '87 951 will not start. 75K miles and runs fine once it starts save for a slight "lean" hesitation for maybe 2-3min. in the morning. Have replace most of the vacum lines, replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor last night, no improvement. Installed fuel pressure gauge at rail and psi seems fine.

DME Temp sensor replaced this summer and had no effect on cold engine hesitation. Going to check DME temp sensor wires this week and install original DME temp sensor as test.

I suspect my issue is a lean condition. I believe this could be verified with a very small wiff of starting fluid or evern a small wiff of fuel sprayed into the intake. If this works then I just need to figure out what is causing the lean condition.
has anyone looked at the cold start valve yet in connection with this problem ? if the injector is dirty or sticking the engine would run a little lean until it started to warm up and the mixture stabilises.
I'd remove the cold start injector stick it into a clear jar and try cranking the engine over when cold and check the cold start injector is working properly. The associated temperature sensor should be checked to as it may be mis-reading the temperature of the inlet manifold.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

my problem (so far) has been a cracked hose slid over an after market(too big) plastic elbow that was under the intake. also had an intake gasket that was slid out of the way that must have finally cracked.

i was chasing it down as the stabilizer, but found those problems after taking the intake off.

good luck to you guys.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 PM
ccg951
Track Day

Default FIXED!!!!

Started trouble shooting again last night, pulled DME relay an jumpered 30 and 87b to see how fast fuel psi built up, all looked well. Replaced DME relay and it started but died after a few sec. Jumpered again, replaced relay and started then died. I grabbed my old DME relay out of the glove box (replaced it this summer just because and kept the old as a spare) and she fired right up. Started fine this monring and I think with 99% certainty I've fixed the prob.

Never suspected the relay as it was new this summer and it started fine above 59 deg and would not have any issue until is sat cold (below 60 deg.) overnight.

Go figure, have the fix in the glove box the whole time and I've been dealing with this since late Oct.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

glad you got it fixed and for nothing too great result.

The more I read about these relays the more I realise how cheap and nasty they are. Time for a better solution methinks
Old 12-24-2009, 11:37 AM
ccg951
Track Day

28 deg F. all night and she fired up this monring without hesitation. Now I can focus on things I want to do instead of a have-to-do no start problem....
Old 12-24-2009, 02:46 PM
peanut
Burning Brakes

brilliant !

having spent the past 2 months with a no-start problem myself I know what you mean. Its a huge relief.

Have a great Christmas everyone

Quick Reply: Cold start stumble for couple seconds and then everything is fine