Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 PM
porsche_addict
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end rebuild

The front end of my '86 951 needs some attention. From what I can gather, the driver's side ball joint needs to be replaced. I think the sway bar bushings and possibly the front struts and strut mounts need doing as well. What is the best way to do the ball joints? I understand that the entire A-arm has to be replaced. I see that there is a kit on Rennbay that allows you to rebuild both ball joints and keep the old A-arms. Is this a viable solution or should I consider only consider replacing the A-arms? As far as the struts are concerned, Pelican has many options listed. What kind of upgrade should I consider if the car is mostly going to be used on the street ie. very little track time? Is there anything else I should pay attention to? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What kind of mechanical experience do you have? Cost wise, I would buy the rebuild kit. Unless there is damage to your A-arm, I don't see any reason why you would need a new one.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:18 AM
porsche_addict
Instructor

I was planning on working through the car with a friend with more knowledge and skills, but I think I can wrap my head around some of the mechanics. I know that Porsche does not rebuild the ball joints, only replace the entire A-arm. I'm curious to know the quality with the aftermarket kit and how it will fair to going the factory route.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory uses plastic internal bushings and with the rebuild kits you have the option of going with aluminum bronze solid internal bushings in the Track Kit. If you choose this option you will be head and shoulders above anything you can get new from Porsche.

The other problem with going with "New" Porsche arms is that they do not use the same method of holding in the ball joints in these units as they used to. Like the 968 arms, they fold over the aluminum to hold the ball joint in place. This means that any new arm you purchase from Porsche will be non-rebuildable when it fails.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

Here is a link that anyone can follow. Simple show and tell with pictures.

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/controlarms.html

I know this will help you out.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: Front end rebuild