Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

feedback on jacobs ignition wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 02:18 PM
bs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post feedback on jacobs ignition wires

in an effort to reduce the bucking and misfiring that i get under high boost, i decided to replace my plugs and wires. after a bunch of research, i decided the most cost effective option was Jacobs wires with bosch copper plugs. i ordered the wires from "CBS Performance", the company whos number is on jacobs' web page. they were $45, shipping included. damn if only more buisnesses would use such nice round prices instead of "that will be 42.97, plus 3.69 shipping and 2.85 handling..."

anyway, they came in yesterday and i installed them. All in all i think they were a good deal considering that sunset imports quoted me $130 +15% + shipping for stock ones... and the 8.5mm wires with beru ends that paragon sells are about the same. but the actual terminators don't look quite as nice. on my stock wires there is a little wire clip in a slot in the metal sleeve that goes around the plug or terminal... the jacobs wires just have a metal sleeve that's slit on one side so it can open up to get shoved around the post. and the main stock wire has some funny shaped bent copper peice riveted to the end of the post that mates with the coil... the jacobs one is just plain steel.

and when jacobs says their wires are "within 2 inches of stock" i think they mean "2-4 inches longer than stock" because i stuffed as much wire under the intake manifold as i could and there's still tons of extra looking all messy by the distributor. their "electric blue" color looks alright... not really flasy, doesn't stand out that much in a dirty engine bay, and really doesn't look ricy at all.

I took the nice rubber dust sealing boots off my stock wires, and the weak *** worthless boots off the jacobs wires and swapped them. the stock boots fit well on the new wires and the swap was not at all difficult. the wires also came with a little plastic pouch of gunk... i guess it's dielectric grease but it's only about enough for one wire.

which reminds me... a question: my mechanic and I disagreed as to whether the primary purpose of dielectric grease is to keep the boots from sticking to the plugs and terminals or to make a better electrical connection between the wire termination and the plug or distributor post. which one is right? in other words... should the grease go on the metal or on the rubber?

oh yeah, and the guy at kragen looked at me funny when i asked for the $1 bosch copper electrode plugs... "what you don't want our quad tip 15 electrode double sparking precious metal superconductor plugs which are guarunteed to give you 15 extra horsepower each?". I thought about getting silver ones but at $11 each i just couldn't bring myself to pay the same for my plugs as i did for my wires...
Old 08-02-2002, 03:07 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That whole fancy spark plug thing is really funny, let's see $4 for plugs or $60 plus tax and I only drive on the street. The motorcycle magazines went through this a while back and decided snake oil pretty much $ v any slight gain. But there is always somebody to buy them.

The grease goes on the metal.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup...Grease on the metal. It's there to inhibit corrosion between the plug and boot.

Quick Reply: feedback on jacobs ignition wires