Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WOOOOHOOOOOOOO THE TURBO RUNS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 10:24 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Post WOOOOHOOOOOOOO THE TURBO RUNS!!!!

Tonight in 8 degree weather I went out to fix my guru kit wiring mistake (thanks Danno) and then tried to start the car. First try, ran for five seconds then died. Second try ten seconds then died. On the third try I gave it gas right after starting, kept it at 2 grand for a minute, then let it back down a little, and it would run like that forever. YES!!! Although it would not run below 1500rpms, I am still happy. It is probably just due to the cold weather and since I did not tune the GURU yet. Only problem was extreme smoking coming off the headers caused by an unknown liquid dripping on them. It was light blue smoke (oil possibly?) and when I felt it, it was oily. However there is nowhere on the header side of the engine where there are any oil connections. There are three water hose connections that I did replace right above the headers. Is this possibly a bad head gasket? It was coming from above the oil pan gasket, so I know that is not the problem. Why would a head gasket go from good to bad after a year of sitting without being started? Could the supposed oil just be coolant? I really hope its not a headgasket. Anyway I will take a closer look tomorrow. MY CAR RUNS
Old 02-15-2003, 10:29 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Blue normally = oil, and yes the gaskets could go bad after a year of just sitting. I would check the valve cover gasket in some good light tomorrow, it could have just been some oil that built up over the year too.

Congrats on getting it running, i'm still working on getting my set up with the GURU, can't wait for the next dyno day...
Old 02-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what did you mess up on the install... as I will be installing the MAP on Monday
Old 02-15-2003, 10:42 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ian, I cant wait to dyno this baby either. Brett, the install is very easy, I just didnt follow the directions closely. I connected all the wires from the Link box to the DME when one of them was supposed to go the the KLR. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, but I will be away for a few days starting Monday. I would be glad to help if I can though, and Danno responds to email faster than anyone I have ever met so he can always help. Good Luck! Anyone else have any ideas on the leak on the headers?
Old 02-15-2003, 10:52 PM
Brett
Addict
Rennlist Member

so your kit wasnt exactly plug and play? you need to do some tuning or is the idle prob just the temps outside
Old 02-15-2003, 11:12 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

From what I have heard the kit is not supposed to be plug and play 100% of the time. This would probably be impossible because each car is a little different. Right now I am guessing that the car WOULD idle with the GURU kit, but the combination of old gasoline, an engine that has not started for over a year, and the freezing weather is making it difficult. I have heard that Travis (Danno's partner) is able to help each customer dial in their perfect settings using the handheld display rather quickly, so making the kit work for your car shouldnt be too hard. Also, my car started more quickly in the cold today than it did without the GURU kit a year ago, so they are doing something right!

HTH
Old 02-15-2003, 11:37 PM
nh3
Instructor

Wow, Not run in a year and she fired up tonite. I'm down in New Bedford and I can't even get out of my driveway. To much frozen snow equals a smashed up front valance which equals $$$$ out of pocket to repair/paint. I'm jones'n for a p-car ride right about now. Good luck with 951

nh3

Trending Topics

Old 02-16-2003, 12:11 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

One more question... If the headgasket was gone, would that have a significant effect on compression? I could test that easily tomorrow without getting dirty under the car, then I could compare the new #s to the ones I took last spring. If the new ones were lower would that mean it was definately a headgasket?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:38 AM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Anyone? Would compression be affected by a small headgasket leak? What else would cause the headers to smoke a lot on startup?
Old 02-16-2003, 11:53 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Mark - I have the same smokin problem you do, though it happens whether I sit for a day, a week, or in most cases, months at a time. I believe mine is the valve cover gasket (camshaft assembly, whatever the hell they call it on this car)...anyway, the big block of metal that says "Porsche" on the top of the engine has a gasket on it, that for me looks like it has no gasket but was put on with Lock-Tite (dunno who the hell did that, was like it when I bought it). Sometime next winter I'll tear it down and reseal it. Another place it could be is the camshaft gasket at the back of the engine (that is a cork gasket, Danno's made some posts on this in the past, search the archives).

Good luck, glad to hear the good news.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:19 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

I took another look at it in the light today and I found the problem. All the grease that I stuffed the xover pipe to header gaskets with to hold them in was burning off. The factory manuals said to do this, I dont know why. Also the idle problem was just when the engine was cold, after about ten minutes it ran like a top. I cant wait to get the swaybar and wheels on and take it for a little spin this afternoon. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: WOOOOHOOOOOOOO THE TURBO RUNS!!!!