Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Arms & Rear Spring Plate Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 01:31 AM
ksc jc
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Suspension Arms & Rear Spring Plate Bushings

Hi Everybody,
Has anyone replace the spring plate & suspension
arm bushings to other types like polyurethane
or poly graphite ones. I would like to hear your
experience on this. Thanks
Old 08-01-2002, 04:37 AM
dk944s2
Instructor

Yep, I replaced the spring plate bushings with Weltmeister ones that were medium-hard rubber, about halfway between the hardness of the stock bushings and full-race Delrin. They were well-greased on installation, but they started squawking after about a month of use. They really help the rear end track precisely; probably transmit a bit more suspension thump through the structure, though.

I'm content to just live with the noise (worst when they're cold and I'm just pulling out of the garage; quieter as I get into my drive) but there are lots of people who've fitted grease fittings so the bushings can receive an occasional shot of lube.

For me (and the car's weekend driver/autocross use), the compromise is a good one. If the car is a streeter or used only occasionally at the auto-x, I'd say leave it stock. Good luck!!!
Old 08-01-2002, 04:38 AM
xcessiv
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done it. It can be a bit of a headache. Make sure you read up on the ride height adjustment before you take everything apart. Handle your torsion bars with care, and I painted the spring plate becuase it was coated with rubber from the factory. My car is an 84 so I don't know if they did that to later years. I put new poly bushings in and while I can't say the difference was dramatic, it did feel improved and I felt much better about the condition of my rear suspension. You also need a BIG torque wrench.
Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2002, 01:19 AM
ksc jc
Track Day

Hey,
Thanks alot Guys.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:12 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I installed the Weltmeister poly springplate bushings a couple of years ago. The car is mostly a track car, with street use just to and from the tracks.

Can't say how much they help the handling, because I made other changes at the same time. They probably do make some difference, particularly with track tires, spherical inner control arm bearings, and an otherwise stiff suspension.

I don't recommend them for street use. First, as has been noted, they are noisy. Second, they are not likely to last a long time, as they are plastic and the rotating steel shaft of the spring plate runs directly in them. Mine have a little play in them at this point, and I've been told by people with a lot of experience with them that the play increases over time.

When it comes time to replace them I'll probably go with Racer's Edge Delrin (sp?) bushings. They are installed only in place of the outside rubber bushing, the inner rubber bushing isn't changed. I already have a set of replacement springplates with the original rubber intact.

Matt
Old 08-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Doug944s2
Instructor

Good info. Does anyone know if the original rubber spring-plate bushings are available from Porsche? Are they bonded to the plate, or are they just a press fit?
Old 08-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

They're bonded, actually quite a chore to remove. I don't know it factory replacements are available.
Old 08-02-2002, 04:42 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The new OE rubber bushings come packaged with spring plates included - the bushings are bonded to the metal.

Delrin bushings are now available for the inside of the spring plate as well - to replace the rubber, and instead of using Poly-graphite bushings from Weltmeister (Squeakmeister - I can say that since I squeak!)

Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2002, 05:08 PM
Matt
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Skip, is Racer's Edge now providing bushings for the inside of the spring plate as well (in other words, four per car) rather than just for outboard side? Last time I spoke with Karl at Racer's Edge, he said his bushings were intended to replace just the outer of the two rubber bushings on each spring plate. He said just buy two and leave the two inner rubber bushings alone.

Matt
Old 08-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, Inners and Outers available - 4 per car

S
Old 08-02-2002, 05:40 PM
Matt