Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easy repair for stripped shift rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easy repair for stripped shift rod

this may have already been discussed, but I did not see it in any of my searches, so here goes: the threaded hole in the shift rod (at the tranny end) was stripped and the "fix" left a ton of slop in my shifter. I wanted to try to fix it w/o going to the trouble of dropping the tranny to get the rod out. I found the attached "shaft collar" at a local HVAC supply house, the bore is 1.125" and it fits perfectly around the outside of the shifter rod. I pitched the allen bolt set screw and used a 5/16" x 3/4" long bolt, grounded the end slightly (to fit the indentation in the intermediate shaft), drilled a hole thru the head (for the safety wire) and tightened that bolt thru the stripped hole in the shift rod onto the shaft of the shift linkage. It worked beautifully and now my shifter has zero slop. The collar I used is stainless steel and cost about $11, they also had painted steel for about $3. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Clever!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In another testament to how great this community is, I ran across this thread while researching the same problem (stripped threads in the shift rod) and ended up using the same solution. Super easy!

For anyone looking to do the same, the shaft collar I used is a
Ruland SC-18-SS Ruland SC-18-SS
, available from Amazon for about $15. The bolt is a standard 5/16-18 NC x 1" which I ground to match the point on the stock bolt and drilled for safety wire.

The existing hole in the shift rod needed to be enlarged slightly to pass the new bolt. This I did with a hand drill while the rod was still in the car (although I had the benefit of having removed the exhaust and axle earlier, giving me lots of room).

Here it is installed along with the only944.com short shifter.

Much thanks to the OP for the idea!

Quick Reply: easy repair for stripped shift rod