Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help/advice badly. Oil Pan destroyed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 06:59 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a turbo I'll send ya for shipping it's in my way. You'll need to plug off the turbo oil retun though
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an oil pan from a 1986 944 turbo that will fit for sure that I will sell you for $75 shipped. You will definetly at the very least need a new oil pan gasket and I would go ahead and replace the plastic baffle that bolts into the bottom of the pan and also the seal on the oil pick - both easy items to do while you are in there.

You will need a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts down on the oil pan and it is very important to follow the factory directions to ensure you don't have leaking problems in the future.

Now that I think about it you are going to be pulling off the crossmember so if you think you motor mounts are close to being worn out now would be an excellent time to replace those.

When pulling the crossmember don't forget to undo the power steering line that attaches to the top of it.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welding in-situ sounds pretty iffy to me. You've got the plastic baffle, residual oil in the pan that could catch fire, heat conducted up to the pan gasket or end seal could result in big leaks... If you must go the patch route as a temporary fix, I would suggest trying some oil resistant epoxy with an aluminum sheet patch. Make sure you wipe down the contact surface with lacquer thinner, etc. so the surface is absolutely free of oil.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
elzergone
Pro

Thanks everyone for your help so far.

xsboost90 hooked me with a great deal on an oil pan, and the rest of you have given me plenty of advice. I'm sure I'll be posting more as the work goes on...

This community never lets you down
Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh B
You will need a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts down on the oil pan and it is very important to follow the factory directions to ensure you don't have leaking problems in the future.
be very careful with the torquing of these bolts, maybe want to use threadlock...3 or 4 of mine have gone missing over the years lol
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
elzergone
Pro

Update!!

Welp, started tearing into it saturday. 5 hours later I had the oil pan off. Dear god...some of those bolts. There were two or 3 bolts on the oil pan itself that I had MAYBE a inch of wiggle room to use my fingertips on.

Those and the motor mount bolts were the worst. I cringe thinking of putting this back together. Oh well. Its halfway done. My gasket never showed up on Friday...and the online tracking says it was sent to an undeliverable address, and lists my exact, correct address. Very frustrating.

Anyways, the only mishap so far is a bent power steering line.

Hopefully I'll be back on the road this week sometime.

edit:
Originally Posted by Josh B
When pulling the crossmember don't forget to undo the
power steering line that attaches to the top of it.
Yeah, didnt do this.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Sounds like good progress. Might want to think about changing the rod bearings "while you're in there".
Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by elzergone
Update!!

Welp, started tearing into it saturday. 5 hours later I had the oil pan off. Dear god...some of those bolts. There were two or 3 bolts on the oil pan itself that I had MAYBE a inch of wiggle room to use my fingertips on.

Those and the motor mount bolts were the worst. I cringe thinking of putting this back together. Oh well. Its halfway done. My gasket never showed up on Friday...and the online tracking says it was sent to an undeliverable address, and lists my exact, correct address. Very frustrating.

Anyways, the only mishap so far is a bent power steering line.

Hopefully I'll be back on the road this week sometime.

edit:

Yeah, didnt do this.
Glad to see you making progress on it; it's no picnic that's for sure. I'm still curious why there was a large rock in your driveway and how did it damage the pan so high rather than at the low point?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 PM
elzergone
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Sounds like good progress. Might want to think about changing the rod bearings "while you're in there".
Well right before I got the car it had new pistons/rods/the whole deal done. I inspected them and from what I can tell it all looks just about brand new in there.

So I should be ok there. Worse case, this job will be much easier the next time I have to do it.

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Glad to see you making progress on it; it's no picnic that's for sure. I'm still curious why there was a large rock in your driveway and how did it damage the pan so high rather than at the low point?
Well it was right off the edge of the driveway, and mostly submerged in the ground. All I can figure is that it must have tagged the edge of the oil pan, (a big chunk taken out of the fins suggests this), and flipped the rock up on edge with enough force to puncture it.

I'll take some pictures to show where the damage is.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

How many miles on the rod bearings in there? If original this is the time to do it. It only adds a half our or so to the job....

Quick Reply: I need help/advice badly. Oil Pan destroyed.